NEW SCN RELEASE: MAFIA - La Costa Nostra

Eivind IV

Emperor

MAFIA
- La Cosa Nostra

The mafia is a basic part of American life, deniance or not. Every generation has had its underworld kings. Unforgettable personalities that commit unspeakable crimes. We call them names like Al "Scarface" Capone, "Lucky" Luciano or "the Dapper Don".

The mafia is a business. It turns over more money than America's ten largest industrial corporations. It saw its break through during the prohibition era and came out as the leading crime fraction in New York City. Most importantly, it won control over the Brooklyn docks during this time. After the prohibition, the NYC mafia was organized into five families - the Bonanno family, the Colombo Family, the Gambino family, the Genovese family, and the Lucchese family. The mafia expanded into different forms of crime, to prostitution, gambling and racketeering.

Mafia power peaked in the United States in the mid 20th century, until a series of FBI investigations in the 1970s and 1980s somewhat curtailed the Mafia's influence. Despite the decline, the Mafia and its reputation have become entrenched in American popular culture, portrayed in movies, TV shows, and even product commercials.

This is the story of the Italian mafia's rise and fall in New York City.

CIVILIZATIONS:
1. Bonanno Family
2. Colombo Family
3. Gambino Family
4. Genovese Family
5. Lucchese Family

6. New York City (AI)
7. NYPD (AI)

(8. Criminals – barbarian civ, consisting of various unorganized crime fractions)

PS: See to README before playing. Some ver significant pointers are given there.

Enjoy!

---------

INFO:

MOBSPEAK:
Don't think that it is my English there's something wrong with when reading the pop up windows. I've done my best to translate all the text files to mobspeak, to add some flavour to the scen.

BE CAREFUL:
Be extremely careful with attacking police officers of any kind, as they will immediately call on the FBI for assistance. Also, killing civilians is not a very good idea. By killing other ethnic gangsters, you will only encourage them to rise up against you, so bear this in mind before playing. But then again, it's your job to keep unorganized bullies away from your neighborhoods to protect your interests and the people living there.

TERRAIN INFO:
Irrigation, Farmland and Mining have been renamed Bars, Restaurants and Hotels. It has most of the same effects as in vanilla civ, but do take a look at the terrain section in civilopedia for a more detailed description. All terrains have their own distinct feature.

Don't bother building roads, as the effect of roads have been disabled.

Also, the terrain transformation time has been drastically reduced, in order to encourage the players to go into the construction business, which has a history of mafia relation in NYC.

Here's what they transform to:

Non Habitated ---> Low Dense Res.
Low Dense Res. ---> Residential
Residential ---> Upper Class Res.
Upper Class Res ---> Commercial

Docks ---> Industrial
Commercial ---> Industrial
Industrial ---> Estates
Park ---> Estates
Estates ---> Commercial

So, don't hesitate to transform terrain. It will only take you 5 turns. Irrigation etc 4.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Cars are in reality naval units and the roads are ocean with pollution as an overlaying terrain. Global warming has been removed from the scenario, and no roads lead into the Hudson river or any other NY water surrondings.

To keep up with the AI tech race you should prioritize trade.

MAFIA DICTIONARY:
If you come over a word in this scenario you don't understand, you can see to this dictionary for explanations.

* Buttlegging: bootlegging untaxed cigarettes.
* Borgata: an organized crime Family.
* Capo: the Family member who leads a crew; short for capodecina.
* Cazzis: see Stugots.
* Che bruta: How ugly you are.
* Goomah: slang for girlfriend or mistress. No self-respecting wiseguy is without one.
* Consigliere: a trusted Family advisor, who is always consulted before decisions are made. See Tom Hagen in The Godfather.
* Don: the head of the Family
* Facia bruta: ugly face, something you call someone you don't like.
* Fanook: a derogatory term for homsexual or gay, i.e., people that wiseguys feel nervous around. A "mezzofinook" is half gay, sissy, bi.
* Golden Age: The days before RICO.
* Jamook: idiot, loser, lamebrained, you know, a jamook.
* Made guy: an indoctrinated member of the Family. Essentially, you pledge your allegiance to the boss and the family for life. To even qualify, your mother has to be Italian.
* Madonn': Madonna, common expression meaning holy smoke, holy cow, holy ****.
* Mannagge: going to war with a rival clan or family.
* The Mob: a single organized crime family; OR all organized crime families together.
* Mortadella: derived from the Italian sausage, meaning a loser. As in "Guy's a ****in' mortadella."
* Mulignan (literal translation): eggplant. Another word for African-Americans. Also called "mooleys.
* Omertá: the much-vaunted Mafia vow of silence. In other words, don't rat on your friends. Transgression is punishable by death.
* Paying tribute: giving the boss a cut of the deal.
* Piacere: "Pleasure to meet you."
* Pump and dump: standard practice for unethical stockbrokers. First drive up the price of a small stock by "encouraging" investors to buy it ("pump") and then sell you own shares ("dump") for a tidy profit.
* Puttana: whore.
* Rat: one who snitches or squeals after having been pinched.
* Schifosa: ugly woman.
* Shakedown: to blackmail or try to get money from someone; also to give someone a scare.
* Shylock business: the business of loansharking.
* Soldier: the bottom-level member of an organized crime Family, as in "foot soldiers."
* Strunz: strunzo — piece of ****.
* Stugots: from stu cazzo or u' cazzu, the testicles.
* This thing of ours: a mob family, or the entire mob.
* Underboss: the second in command to the boss.
* Va fa napole: "Go to Naples" (i.e., "Go to hell.").
* Whack: to murder; also clip, hit, pop, burn, put a contract out.
* Wiseguy: a made guy.

-----

DOWNLOAD:
Mafia - La Cosa Nostra v1.0 by Eivind IV

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/scenarios/others/#mafia

Attachments

• Mafia.zip
    493.5 KB · Views: 139
Have not had the time to go into an actual game yet but the graphic design of NYC is superb, better than superb. Most have took a few hundred man hours to do the map. If anything, everyone must DL this just to look at the way the terrain is done.

The concept of using water to represent roads is :goodjob: and forcing mobsters to go from building to building when not driving :goodjob:

one thing I did notice is the title of the police leader, 'Police Commissioner Chief of Department of the New York Police Department', is way way too long and distorts the diplomacy screen.

p.s. There is a scenario by the same name by Eyn. To maintain your newer nicer scnerio's identity, may I suggest you modify its name a bit to something like MafiaLCN.

Did you mention that the roads were pollution? Turning off pollution only stops new pollution from appearing, it doesn't prevent global warming. I remember spending hours manually removing the pollution from your Norwegian Campaign after the first release. Have you played it yourself for any period of time?

kobayashi said:
Have not had the time to go into an actual game yet but the graphic design of NYC is superb, better than superb. Most have took a few hundred man hours to do the map. If anything, everyone must DL this just to look at the way the terrain is done.

Thank you, Kobayashi! Ut certainly took a lot of time, but it's all worth it in the end with feedback such as this. :)

kobayashi said:
one thing I did notice is the title of the police leader, 'Police Commissioner Chief of Department of the New York Police Department', is way way too long and distorts the diplomacy screen.

I know it's alittle too long. I hope to not have to make more updates as the beta's been out for months. But if I do, I'll fix this.

kobayashi said:
Did you mention that the roads were pollution? Turning off pollution only stops new pollution from appearing, it doesn't prevent global warming. I remember spending hours manually removing the pollution from your Norwegian Campaign after the first release. Have you played it yourself for any period of time?

If you look to the readme or the #1 post on this thread, you'll see that I inform everyone that global warming is turned off. AGRICOLA at apolyton hexed it out for me.

PrinceScamp said:
Great job Eivand! The terrain is excellent! though it is too big and too many cities and units for my taste, and finding places to send the loot is tricky. But, great scenario!

Thanks mate! If you have a hard time finding places to send your loot, just send it to Manhattan. The trade is so high in Manhattan that you'll get a decent bonus regardless. :)

Top Bottom