New unit: Roman Ballista/Scorpion

Any suggested stats for this brilliant new unit?

Another fine unit, aaglo :)

Can´t wait to see the release of the new geleass :)

personally, I would use the unit either a replacment for the longbow, of the catapult

I would use Ballistas for Catapults, Fire Catapults for Trebuchets.

very nice... a much needed unit for the Romans!
They were masters in the art of siegecraft.

Thanks Aaglo... :)

This unit is masterly! One of the best I've seen.. :worship:

Two things though..

#1. This machine was in fact managed by a two man crew.

#2. If you're a scenario maker and want to use the latin names for roman units, remember that this unit is a catapulta. The ballista was in fact the thing we today call a catapult.

Other than that, one of the greatest units ever!

1. Yeah but do the Firaxis artilery pieces have enough crew.

2. Pedantic and confusing. The roman troops caleed this a Scorpio (scorpion) and the medium catapult an Onager (wild ass). Each Cohort had 6 Scorpios and 1 onager. ( for those who care ).

Originally posted by Tathlum
The roman troops caleed this a Scorpio (scorpion) and the medium catapult an Onager (wild ass). Each Cohort had 6 Scorpios and 1 onager. ( for those who care ).

Each cohort or each legion, or were there separate artillery cohorts attached directly to the legion? (and, yes, I know this will almost certainly vary depending upon which period we are speaking of, local circumstances, etc.).

Thanks In Advance For The Clarification,

Oz

Originally posted by Tathlum

2. Pedantic and confusing.

I'm sorry you feel that way..

The roman troops caleed this a Scorpio (scorpion) and the medium catapult an Onager (wild ass). ( for those who care ).
[/QUOTE]

Indeed they did. That's the very reason for this modern misunderstanding.
The correct contemporary military latin term for them are still catapulta and ballista.. (for those who care ;) )

Originally posted by ozymandias

Each cohort or each legion, or were there separate artillery cohorts attached directly to the legion? (and, yes, I know this will almost certainly vary depending upon which period we are speaking of, local circumstances, etc.).

Thanks In Advance For The Clarification,

artillery wasa not grouped into its own cohorts until the late Imperial period, before then, they were under the direct responsibilty of a cohort (and yes, each individual cohort recived artillery peiceis)

Top Bottom