Newb questions.

callahan9119

Chieftain
I'm doing the tutorial and am curious, do I have to build a scout or whatever when it's available? I cannot end turn without building one. Is there any negative to building units you don't need or want currently, or is it always good to pump out units like this? Right now I don't know anything about if you have to support them with food or whatever.

Any advice for a new player, map types for games etc?

Thanks.

I'm doing the tutorial and am curious, do I have to build a scout or whatever when it's available? I cannot end turn without building one. Is there any negative to building units you don't need or want currently, or is it always good to pump out units like this? Right now I don't know anything about if you have to support them with food or whatever.

Any advice for a new player, map types for games etc?

Thanks.

You need about 5-10 good military units, with that you shuld be able to destroy any invading force and then mount counterattack. I don't know about the tutorial, never used. Units cost money in upkeep, this amount per unit increases over time. There are 3 main types of maps, pangea-one continent surrounded by water, archipelago-islands, play up in difficulty, continents-2 (sometimes more) continents seperated by ocean. The best advice I can give is don't listen to the advisors; they are terrible.

Welcome to CFC :cheers:

Well, What about if you are able to produce a unit and don't want to? That production button won't go away so I can end my turn.

thanks for the advice, but I don't know anything so I need the advisors :p

Produce a building that will help instead, or build the unit and delete (gives small amount of gold) or just build more military and conquer :hammer:

I don't know about the tutoral. Is scout your only option? If so thn yes you probably have to build it, but you should be able to mke a settler or worker or something instead of that

I'm guessing yes you need to build one for the tutorial as it is needed for the next thing it will teach you. Just make it for the tutorial when you move on to play a real game you will be able to build what you want.

No, it was one of several options, but what I'm asking is if there is the ability to make something, does it HAVE to be made to allow you to "next turn"?

Just because I can build a scout, warrior etc, doesn't mean I should have to.

After your technology progresses, you can set the city to build gold or science, not sure which technologies reveal these functions.

No, it was one of several options, but what I'm asking is if there is the ability to make something, does it HAVE to be made to allow you to "next turn"?

No, you don't have to build a certain thing just because you can, but you may be required to build something. You'll be allowed to choose whatever you want to build in a full game. And very early in the game like that, you'll want to build at least a couple scouts and/or warriors anyway - early exploration is pretty important, for finding sites for your future cities and for getting free stuff from ancient ruins.

RE: your other question in the OP - units cost maintenance; they're going to add to your expenses as you build more of them. You can hover over the :c5gold: icon at the top of the screen to see a detailed look at your income and expenses. While it's possible to build too many units to support financially, that's not a risk early in the game - and even if you do end up with too much maintenence, you can always disband outdated or unnecessary units to decrease those costs.

RE: Other advice - for map types, I'd stick with standard or small size, so you can play quicker games at the outset. (Nothing wrong with going larger, but that'll mean more enemies.) Settler or Chieftain difficulty are designed for beginners. Map type can vary; in general the AI is better at Pangea maps than Continents or Archipelagos (it has a hard time with naval transport and combat) but on low difficulty settings you'll have a good chance on any map type, really. Just play a few different ones to see what you enjoy.

Good luck with it - keep us posted. And welcome to Civilization and CFC. :goodjob:

Yeah, your cities MUST build something. There's no option like "Don't build anything".

Of course as you research new techs more options become available, like the option to "build" gold or research. That's useful when you don't want to build any unit or building, but yeah, your cities need to do something, otherwise the citizens may get bored :crazyeye:

Thanks for the tips, I played a game last night and attacked some city state that was buddies with the Egyptians, they shot all my warriors to death with arrows. I don't see how I can beat those things without tanks :hmm:

I suggest you don't go with the tutorials.
The best way to learn is a Settler game with Advisor on High setting.

City-States aren't really there to be conquered. You CAN conquer them, but it's generally more beneficial to ally with them and get the benefits based on the kind of City-State it is. (Maritime CSs are generally the most useful, because they give you free food; Cultural CSsgive you free culture, and Militaristic CSs give you free units.)

City-States will occasionally give you "quests" like 'build a road to me' or 'it'd be neat if you made the Pyramids.' Completing those tasks will net you a lot of influence with the CS in question. You can also basically buy influence by just throwing gold at them. Depending on their disposition (friendly / neutral / hostile) this will net a certain amount of influence for a certain period of time.

You need to see the technology "iron working" before u can see the iron ressources. Having that there still is a slight chance there is no iron near you. You will have to scout then. I have not read this thread but u should know that u then have to settle near an iron ressource and improve it with a worker

In my game right now a city state asks for my help taking out another one. I attacked it with 4 spearmen and an archer and I didn't see the red bar move at all on it while my guys were beat up badly. How do I beat/intimidate them for the other guys, is there a diplomatic option i'm not aware of that says "hey, knock it off" or something so I don't have to get my butt kicked?

Siege weaponry is designed to attack cities. City-states start out tougher than normal cities, too, so you need to bring a couple more units to the battle than you would for rival nation's city. In general, you never want to use basic infantry units to attack cities - use ranged, siege, and even naval bombardment as much as possible.

Top Bottom