Newbie Questions 2 - post them in THIS thread please!

WW went insane when I was under the Republic and those English took three cities from me.

Republic is something I overlook a lot because there's no special benefit/obvious benefit. Democracy, immune to propoganda; Communism, standarized loses; Despotism, ironfist rule; Republic - I think of that as like Democracy.

Re: Government

I have lead countless wars in Republic and Demo without any WW whatsoever - the trick is never to loose any units. Never! Period!

You can conquer the entire world - no problemo. Just DO NOT LET THE ENEMY DO YOU ANY DAMAGE!!!!!!!!

I was staging a large invasion force (over 200 units) in a city that bordered my enemy. I had so many units in that city that whenever I right clicked on the city and tried to scroll down to the "wake all" command, I had to click forever. Any way to scroll through this list quicker?

Nope, no way. Opening the city gives you a horizontal list - but that doesn't show the status (fortified, awake) and moves left :(

very sucky inplementation, wake all / fortify all should ba at the top, not bottom of the list

Thanks for the quick reply...

Since I was planning a surprise attack, I'm going under the assumption that troops in my city are not visible to the enemy, but troops outside of cities are.

Is this a correct assumption? Or does the computer "see" all your troops no matter where you place them?

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
Nope, no way. Opening the city gives you a horizontal list - but that doesn't show the status (fortified, awake) and moves left :(

very sucky inplementation, wake all / fortify all should ba at the top, not bottom of the list

It would be nice if when you had more than 20 units in a city, it would change to a list similar to the diplomat screen. E.g., on the diplomat screen, it just shows 'Cities' until you click 'Cities', then is shows the drop down list. It could show 'Infantry (20)' 'Artillery (25)', and allow you to expand either or both, but still show the remaining options for the city all on one screen.

Can you build the Hoover Dam in a city without a river?

Does it provide hydro plants in cities without rivers?

Richard
(who's playing the Greeks in an island without rivers)

richard D:

Hoover Dam can ONLY be built in cities with a river in their radius :(

It DOES give a hydro plant to each and every city on that continent - whether it has a river or not. :D

Ok, thanks.

I gather it has to be a river, and not a lake?

Could you also let me know, with improvements / units that need resources, am I right that you need to have access to the resource when you begin building, but not all the way through?

richard D:

yes, river, not lake

also: no res for buildings IIRC, res for units you cna easily find in the Nethog 1 page unit summary IIRC, link is in the FAQ, general gameplay qs section.... need res to start building only.

Killer, there is one building that needs resources: The iron works, which needs iron and coal in its city radius.

But the general answer is that you can always complete what you started even after one of the requirements is broken:

So you can complete iron works after the iron has disappeared (has actually happened to me), complete a university after you have sold the library (but I have no idea why you'd want that), complete military units after their required resources disappear, or complete already started railroads.

I'm confused:crazyeye:

Don't factories need iron, coal plants need coal, etc, etc?

These are buildings, aren't they?

Richard

the poijnt being that railroads up your growth and production, so not being able to build factories either would be a double penalty for not having coal.....

If you don't need iron to build factories, what does it mean in here: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3improvements.shtml when it says that factories require iron?

One other question - on culture this time. I see that the chance of a city flipping is principally dependant on how far away it is from the respective capitals. How does the forbidden palace affect this - does it count as a second capital?

Top Bottom