News: GOTM 33 Final Spoiler

Game won in 2030 AD when the barbs add Kyoto to their huge empire which spans the continent from coast to coast. I feel like a thief when I win by conquest thanks to my one iceball city way up north. Poor little barbarians, they really deserved to get the victory. :lol:
:goodjob: I admire your barbarian faith. ;)

Entry class: Contender
Game status: Conquest Victory for Mongolia
Game date: 1470AD
Turns played: 207
Base score: 2431
Final score: 42195

Hoo Ra. - My first XOTM conquest victory.:)

From first spoiler at 500AD I had taken out Cyrus and Monte and was at War with the Incans. - The Incans were out of it by 780AD.

Then to speed things up a bit I declared on the Greeks and Japanese at the same time. (I had thought of doing this at the start akin to an "Always War" setting but didn't have the bottle to try it.)

Anyway...The Greeks were destroyed in 1040AD, the Japanese by 1340AD and finally the French in 1460.

The game seemed to really drag in the closing stages when I was just churning out the same Cat. and Keshik units. (Built a few swords and axe's but pretty much everything was Cat or Keshik)

I agree with the other posts that it was nice to get an XOTM game that was easy enough to try out different things in the game. - I would consider my natural style of play as a builder so it was nice to play for a conquest without risking messing up the monthly game. - Thanks to the staff:goodjob:

1655 AD Cultural victory.
Hopefully no one else bothered with culture, I see most of the people conquered or went to space :)
For me the date is really good. My previous best dates were something like 1750. The land here was really great, and I concentrated on getting cottages up and getting religions spread for cathedrals. I never before had so many cities (usually I only obtain 9, but now I had like 17 at the end, captured some from Capc and built some tohers), useful for building temples for different religions, I had 6,5,5 cathedrals respectively in my big three (only Bhuddism I never accquired because Monty had it and it never spread to me).
I shut down research after acquiring

And wow, running a state religion with OR really is strong: I got my buildings up way faster than normal, and I got all the useful wonders (Sistine, Parthenon most notably). I attacked Huayna to obtain the Pyramids which he had so thoughtfully built for me, so I could switch into US. I think I could have done a better job with cash rushing; although I whipped a lot of people into buildings :) (I had slavery all game, no Caste system because my Artist farm had Globe theater so could run 5 artists). I had units to spare anyway for a quick war with HC because my Heroic Epic town was spitting units out really fast. Only at the end game I switched out of OR into Free Religion (because I also had two holy cities in my big three, so a lot of extra base culture). I skipped pacifism, in a cottage spam culture game GA's are not crucial (I only got three).

Thanks to the staff for the enjoyable game.

Contender, barbarian conquest challenge, conquest victory 2030 AD
Base score: 928
Final score: 883 (I might qualify for a shield with this score...)

Cities captured or razed: 0 (well ok, one city that the barbs captured from me flipped back, so I razed it)
Cities settled: 19 - of which the barbs captured 9 and razed the rest
Units built: 66 scouts, 51 workers, 28 keshiks, 13 knights, 12 cannons, 12 catapults, some grens, maces and other stuff
Units lost: 38 - not counting the non-combat units
Units killed: almost 700, of which 317 were catapults, 128 archers, and 76 horse archers. All of the horse archers were stray barbarians while most other units killed belonged to the AIs.​

My self-imposed rules for this game were the following: no units of mine may ever attack any enemy city. Bombarding is ok, capture by culture is not. Goal: conquest using the barbarians for help.

This game played out in some different phases. First I settled on the hill and went looking for horses. Unfortunately I went the wrong direction so city#2 by the W horses wasn't founded until T42. Once I had the horses connected I went to war against all the AIs and spammed chariots and Keshiks to try to stop their expansion. I was a bit slow and allowed them to grab a couple of cities too many. When I finally had them all hiding in their cities and all improvements pillaged this was the city count:

Monty: 2 cities
HC: 2 cities
Cyrus: 2 cities
Alex: 1 city
Toku: 3 cities
Nappy: 3 cities​

Next two barb cities spawned in the SW corner of the continent. I wanted them to connect the horses and ivory nearby so I settled a few cities there for them to take. Eventually this succeeded but that meant that the quota for barb units was filled so no more barbs spawned anywhere else. Aaaarrgghh, I had just painted my barbarian friends into a corner.

Not to worry, I said to myself, I shall just gift around construction to everyone so that the barbs eventually get it and can start building cats and war elephants. Said and done, and then I just had to wait the stipulated 30 turns before the barbs got the techs as well. Meanwhile, I shifted focus a bit to recover my economy which was almost at a standstill from the upkeep of all those Keshiks in foreign lands. As it turned out, one aspect of this plan worked excellently: namely that the AIs started producing cats instead of anything else. My little keshiks, with their +50% against cats, had a great time. :)

But the war elephants and the catapults never materialized. The barbs happily continued to build swords and axes. I tried again and again to bring these to Montys capital using worker and scout trails, but their production was too poor and the attacks too uncoordinated to succeed. Twice the last defender came down to 0.1 health, but then I had to start from the beginning again.

Time for plan B: gift out Civil Service and Machinery. This actually worked, and the barbs started to produce maces along with the horse archers that had by now become quite common. Monty's city#2, a hill city, fell sometime during this transition from swords to maces, and I managed to settle another two cities on the other side of Monty that the barbs took from me. But this put them at the magic number of 8 cities. Every city they captured after this was immediately razed. The only exceptions were holy cities and cities with a world wonder.

But the AIs, despite only working unimproved tiles, were starting to reach Feudalism. Time for plan C: gift around Guilds so that the barbs would be able to build Knights. Didn't work, they never built any of those either. And no musketmen with gunpowder.

I got bored and chopped down all the forests on the map. At least those that were inside enemy culture. And then, just as I was ready to give up completely, I manage to lure enough barb maces and horse archers to Tenochtitlan so that they can capture it.

1874 AD: Monty is dead!

153 turns to go. Can I actually pull this off after all? It is a long way to the other AIs, especially Nappy and Toku. Time for a new strategy: I am going to give up my core super-cities to the barbarians. These are my capital, the W horse city and a city N of the capital, and a city NW of Athens near the gold, copper and marble. I let the barbs have all of these and try to settle some new cities further away. But the loss of all cottages means that I have to disband almost all my units, including a fair number of heavily promoted cat-killer keshiks/knight. It becomes rather pointless to defend my new settlements against the barbs so I let them raze those too, only keeping a single city on the ice peninsula to the north. I station four reliable units on the only possible entrance which makes the barbs ignore me completely - this since they do not have a route to my city.

On 1945 AD, with 105 turns to go, my core cities belong to the barbarians. In total they now have 13 cities, all of which are well developed by now. The AIs still have the same number of cities as 2000 years earlier except for Monty, who is dead. And the barbs are still building Horse Archers and Macemen. Plenty of them. I have some spies, and it turns out that the barbs only build barracks, forge, and units in their cities. Nothing else. Those 13 cities are probably building 4-5 units per turn, and I guess these units have a check list looking something like this:

1. Any cities that needs garrison - No
  2. Any improvements that can be pillaged - No
  3. Any cities that can be attacked - Yes, the AI cities.

The funny part is that all units are sent towards the same city, no matter where on the continent it is, and they continue to do so until that city is gone. Lucky that they reused my old roads and had Engineering, otherwise going back and forth between HC and Nappy would have taken even longer... :lol:

I get a bit worried near the end when I can't one of my few remaining cannons to Paris. The city has 60% culture and is defended by one Musketeer and two Longbows, all of them maxed out at CG3. I try but my cannons get killed on the way by the barbarians. But no need to worry, If five units isn't enough, the barbs send fifty. :) Check the screenshot from earlier in the war against the French. There were even more units involved going for Paris, and they just kept coming, a long column of 4-5 fresh units per turn.

1970 AD: Alex is dead!
1974 AD: Cyrus is dead!
1980 AD: HC is dead!
2012 AD: Nappy is dead!
2030 AD: Toku is dead!

I must confess that the first 400 turns were among the most boring I have played. :sleep: But during the final 100 I just kept laughing at the barb masses pouring over the poor AIs. I haven't seen the like of it even in Immortal or Deity games. The numbers yes, but not the steady stream. But with all barb cities producing units with no economic consequences this is what will happen. :lol:

Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG

First GOTM I've won!:)

Started off well & by 25BC I had eliminated Cyrus & Alexander. It took me awhile to get my army ramped up for my next campaign but by 1000 AD, I had the Aztecs on the run & then Toku declared war on me. I should have continued battling on both fronts but I made peace with Monty, threw all of my army against Toku. I think that was biggest mistake:(. Eventually eliminated the Japanese followed by Monty, Huayna & finally Napolean.

Conquest victory in 1660AD.

Thanks to the staff for ramping down the difficulty level. :goodjob:. It was lots of fun.

Woohoo! The first GOTM I have won for ages and ages (I think only the second one ever).

Spaceship Victory in 1972AD. From what I can see in this thread, this would be the slowest spaceship launch so far, but at least it's a win.

Woohoo! The first GOTM I have won for ages and ages (I think only the second one ever).

Spaceship Victory in 1972AD. From what I can see in this thread, this would be the slowest spaceship launch so far, but at least it's a win.

Spacerace! - Congrats Harbourboy. For me, that's the most challenging type of win.

Y'know, Gnejs, I'd have been happy with a normal, non-barbarian conquest win by 2030 AD.

As it was, I won my Contender-class game by Culture in 2034 AD. After submitting my game, I then continued a few more turns, and was able to achieve Domination (having just finally cleared Tokugawa off the continent...if I'd had a couple Great Artists in reserve I could have grown out the conquered cities fast enough to win in the 2020s :p) and then Diplomatic victories before 2050, when I added the Time victory notch to my belt.

Spaceship was, however, out of the question, as 2050 arrived without anyone in the world having invented Computers yet.

Boy, was I ever rusty. And my usual play style was almost perfectly maladapted to this game. But I finished...thanks to the generous difficulty level. (Thanks, guys. I'm probably not ever touching the beyond-Monarch challenges.)

Well, in Civ4 anyway. I was still getting used to Civ4 so i decided to play Adventurer Class. Was going for a conquest victory, but my playing around with different tech's and giving the barbs a settler or two really made this more of a learning game. Was able to out tech the computers to get my UU first (I found the horses early and was able to set up a city close by so once i researched it I got my UU). But instead of building mad units I played around some more. I got a Domination victory in 1854AD Which sounds horrible after seeing that some of the pro's on here won before 500AD but I'm proud of my victory and I now know that if I want to get a conquest victory I have to raze more ;)

Now to go lose on Immortal

Retired in 1860 AD just before going to war with Napoleon, having conquered Alexander, Cyrus, and Tokugawa in that order. I actually got further but the game kept crashing with graphics problems every turn to 1876, even on low graphics. I kept restarting from autosaves and making slightly more progress, but eventually got the advice that so many restarts was getting into game rejection territory. So I submitted an old save point from before the troubles started.

One hypothesis was that the huge SoD I was running around with had too many units, causing some problems for the graphics handling.

I should have started conquest a lot sooner; still haven't learned to engage in early warfare, even if I eventually go in some other direction for victory. As it was, I was heading for a domination victory, with 51% of population and 58% of territory; taking out Napoleon should have done it.

Retired in 1860 AD just before going to war with Napoleon, having conquered Alexander, Cyrus, and Tokugawa in that order. I actually got further but the game kept crashing with graphics problems every turn to 1876, even on low graphics. ...
One hypothesis was that the huge SoD I was running around with had too many units, causing some problems for the graphics handling.

Hi, I have noticed on two of the computers I use to play Civ that crashing becomes a danger when the game file sile (saves) reaches about 350kb. It can happen earlier if I have a web browser open or e-mail program open in the background. Changing graphics settings doesn't seem to help much, either.

Almost invariably, the crashes come when I am scrolling through the map by pushing the cursor to the sides of the screen, which is my usual way to navigate the map. If I instead click on the place on the small map that I want to see, then it works fine (but you have to sort of know where you want to look). Also, being zoomed out is better than being zoomed in, from a computer-performance standpoint. That's my observations, anyhow.

Fortunately, I've only once had to abandon a game because it became too problematic, though, and never in a XOTM. I think there are only two sure-fire solutions to offer you: upgrade your hardware (to higher internal RAM), or win your games earlier. ;)

Contender. Fast domination - 300AD, score - a bit less 100000.
Fast, but not the fastest, I consider.
I have taken advantage of incorrect strategy of war for such "difficult" level.
Possibly, it was necessary to attack all simultaneously, instead of it is consecutive.
Strike has avoided, and сourts and castes too.

Contender. Fast domination - 300AD, score - a bit less 100000.
Fast, but not the fastest, I consider.
I have taken advantage of incorrect strategy of war for such "difficult" level.
Possibly, it was necessary to attack all simultaneously, instead of it is consecutive.
Strike has avoided, and сourts and castes too.

ah, balls. i got domination just one turn later! congrats! :)

i think i should have just gone straight for keshiks instead of construction first. probably would have saved a lot of time. i took out alex, then toku, napoleon, cyrus, and monty and didn't even declare on HC. perhaps i should have. at several points in the game i was very close to strike, only to be saved by a hefty reward from another captured city.

Game status: Domination Victory for Mongolia
Game date: 1590AD
Turns played: 228
Base score: 3685
Final score: 46248

I could have gotten a conquest much earlier, but a) I don't like attacking my friends and Cyrus was pleased with me practically the whole game and b) I like late game gun battles. I seriously though about gifting Napolean some techs so that my Cavalry would have something interesting to shoot at, but I was afraid that would make pleased.

Spoiler Details AD 325-1590 :
325 AD: The GP turns out to be an engineer at about 26% odds. This raises a dilemma. I had planned to use Tenochtitlan as my Super Science City building the Great Library and eventually Oxford there. Literature will be researched in 1 turn and I can whip a Library there and use the GE to build the Great Library. However, Tenochtitlan is not a particularly good site for running scientists. It only has 10 food tiles (including the capital) with 13 surplus food, plus 1 more if I build a lighthouse and work the lake. There are 7 neutral food tiles (Wine, Horses and 5 coastal tiles) and a total of -5 food on the 3 production tiles. Not bad, but not spectacular either. Both Karakorum and Athens have much better food surpluses, but they are not good sites for an SSC. Karakorum has too many non-science wonders (as the current GE amply demonstrates) and Athens, with its 2 holy sites, would make a better Wall Street. Still, I suppose the game might be over by the time the difference matters and the extra production in Teno will come in handy for building science multipliers.

400 AD: Captured Yu-Chi a barb city E of Tenochtitlan that is surprisingly well placed. Gold, Corn and a decent balance of food and production. HBR in 1 turn. Late, I know, but I have been doing pretty well so far without keshiks. Huey is now annoyed with me since I converted to Buddhism and he is Jewish. My thinking is that Toku and Nappy will probably not be a threat anytime soon, since they are both backward and they have different religions so they may just go to war with each other. Huey, on the other hand, is climbing the tech tree so I may just pick on him next. I'll give the matter a couple hundred years or so to gestate, while I work on infrastructure.

475 AD: Buddhism spontaneously spreads to 3 cities, two of them mine. In the next couple of turns it spreads to 3 more, causing Huey to convert. He is now cautious toward me.

560 AD: I am the tech leader. The only tech that anyone has to trade with me is Cyrus' calendar. I open trade with him and on a whim ask him to give it to me out of friendship. He does! making me the absolute hegemon of technology. What are these guys thinking? Music in 6 turns, which will net me a free artist as no one can research it yet. keshiks are coming on line as well.

680 AD: Music and a Great Artist comes in on the same turn that a Great Prophet pops in Karakorum. I could use them to make a golden age, but I have other plans. Homer bulbs Drama, which is a bit of a waste, but frees me up to head down the Liberalism path. Mahavira heads toward Athens to build the Hindu shrine. Ironically, with all of the Buddhist evangelism a couple centuries ago, Hinduism is no longer the dominant religion. If I had waited, I could have made Tenochtitlan my Wall Street city and Athens my SSC which would suit both cities better. Still, Athens still has 2 potential shrines and Hinduism will spread faster now, so on the whole I think I made the right choice. In other news, Huey is sending a galley with a settler near my SW Aztec cities. Curiously, he had an archer in the boat a moment ago but it seems to have disappeared. I may have to pay him a little visit before too long.

800 AD: Great Scientist in Tenochtitlan. I could use him to bulb Philosophy but it is due in 2 turns and no one is near able to research it. I could wait an bulb Paper, but that will only take 9 turns to research which drops to 7 when I create an academy. Toku is able to research Paper but he seems to be focusing on the race to Optics. I will gladly let him take the circumnavigation bonus on this Pangaea in exchange for Liberalism.

840 AD: Philosophy learned. Taoist holy city is Thatelolco. Begin research on Paper.

940 AD: War with the Incas. Cyrus demands Code of Laws and I give it to him since I feel a little guilty about getting Calendar for free. Later Cyrus trades me Monarchy for Alphabet which I take to build several wineries in my territory.

1140 AD: Another GS born in Tenochtitlan. He could bulb Education but that is due in 3 turns, so I will wait. I think I can bulb Liberalism since I don't have Machinery, but I might get stuck with Compass. No matter. If I can't bulb anything worthwhile, I will settle him in Teno.

1160 AD: Peace with Huey. I left him a single city in order to extort Currency from him. This war could have been over a long time ago, but I have been dawdling along with my cats, unwilling to sacrifice my faster moving keshiks. I didn't get Huey's copper and iron quick enough so all his cities have at least one spear. Otherwise he is pretty poorly defended. I probably should have just overwhelmed him with keshiks, but I didn't expect this to be so easy. A bit more advanced scouting might have been in order. I've decided I want to go for a domination win, rather than conquest because I would like at least one of my battles to be fought with cavalry. Cannons and rifles will probably take too long. Education is due in 1 turn.

1170 AD: Cyrus demands that I convert to Hinduism. It is actually a beneficial conversion but I begrudge the extra turn of anarchy, especially since I will be converting to Free Religion in about 8 turns.

1250 AD: Liberalism in. I take Nationalism and convert to Caste System and Free Religion while beginning work on Military Tradition (1370) and Gunpowder (1420). This is really overkill since I can take out any or all of my competitors with my current military, but this game would be boring if there were nothing to look forward to. While I am waiting, I decide to take out Huey's last city. His civ is no threat but I will need the land area for the domination win. I surpassed the population requirement long ago and am currently at about 50%. Also sending settlers to the northern ice for the same reason. Oxford built in Teno sometime in the 1300s.

1440 AD: War with Japan. This takes a bit longer than it needs to because I am determined to build West Point in Beshbalik and my highest XP unit is an axeman who needs to win 3 battles to get to level 5. I turn research down to 0 in order to generate cash to upgrade my many keshiks to cavalry. I am still able to research to Astronomy (for the Observatories, of course). During the war, I spy Toku's caravel poking around and decide to beat him to the circumnavigation bonus. He stupidly wanders up my northern coast so I beat him easily in 1550. Three turns later (1565) Tokugawa succumbs to my military.

1570 AD: Printing Press. I currently have 57% of land area and 64% of world pop. Napoleon has 17% of land area so I can win by only taking about half of his cities. Actually, 3 Japanese cities are still in resistance, so the total is even lower. I have 30 cavalry and quite a lot of obsolete troops with which to do it. Can I make it before 1600?

1590 AD: AS a matter of fact, yes. Curiously, all of Nappy's cities are still in resistance. The 64% mark is passed by borders from my existing cities expanding into his former territory and from Japanese cities coming out of resistance. Also, I dropped science to 0 and pumped up culture, while hiring Artists in all Japanese cities to get double border pops where possible.

Finished a few days ago. Thought I'd post what I remember as there's a helpful message on the top of the page reminding me that I haven't posted for a few weeks;)

Well, I haven't played Civ for 3 months, not that I had much to get rusty anyway:blush: Tried a practice game with the same settings and won a conquest victory in around 800AD for my highest score ever, so thought "this is easy, I'll give the real GOTM a go".

Simple strategy: build zillions of Keshicks, conquer everybody starting with closest first, then picking out the biggest threat one by one. The starting settler got totally confused and wandered around for a couple of turns before panicking and settling up north, a couple of squares south of the strip of 'gateway' land. OK for a strategic city, but terrible for economy! Even worse when I realised that the horses would *probably* be near the starting position.:lol:

Sent the scout in a spiral starting west a few squares, up north, then east for miles, south and finally back west. No horses? Fast tracked to horse and surprisingly (for my usual slipshod way of playing) even built a settler ready to build the horse city. But where were they? Suspected the joke was on us as there would be no horses on the map and it appeared that every AI had been chosen as having an early UU to be frightened of. Gave up on horses and went for the Copper (?) instead. Lo and behold, my scout finds the horses way out west. The scout spiral I'd used was unluckily the worst possible for finding them! And now I'd just used by settler...oh well, this was clearly not going to be all over by 800 AD.

Just beat Huayna to the horses and from then on it was like having a bad cold: a-Keshick, a-Keshick, a-Keshick, while teching towards Cats as I knew I'd need them to finish of the last couple of Civs.

The conquer order went: Alex 75BC(first as he'd just started building his UU), Nappy 350 AD, then Huayna finally in 1000AD. He really took a long time to grind down and he built a couple of hidden cities that proved challenging to find. Mostly razed them all, but kept Alex's capital as I figured it was well placed and good for war on Nappy and Toku.

By now I'd taken much longer than my test game, and getting worried that the remaining civs would be well developed and hard to beat. I was not leading on tech, too, although I was way ahead in military strength. However, the rest didn't put up much of a fight. Just a matter of moving my huge armies across the map. Cyrus went in 1200, Monty in 1450 and finally Toku in 1650.

Although this is my first actual GOTM win, I doubt if I'll rank any higher than my usual err.. 'heroic' defeats as it took too long. Earlier horses = earlier conquest victory perhaps?

The victory:

After 500 AD there wasn’t too much to report. I went warring to keep expanding my empire while working as many cottages etc. as possible to keep my economy up.

Tech Trading and Naughty Napoleon

I tried to beeline for advanced techs while filling in earlier ones from trade as far as possible. In order to make that plan work, I needed to leave two AI friends to trade with (two to avoid the problem of the AI refusing to trade techs that only it had). I picked Cyrus and Napoleon, because they had good economies and had the useful property of being the only non-warlike Civs that I hadn’t already been at war with. That was a bit of a sacrifice because it meant I had to leave the extremely lush land south of Karakorum to Cyrus.

The plan would’ve worked very well except for one niggling detail: No matter what I did, I couldn’t get Napoleon to be pleased, or even for much of the game, even cautious, towards me. Picked up lots of trades from Cyrus (who, thanks to my policy of ignoring nonessential early techs, was able to offer me nice techs till quite late in the game), but nothing from Napoleon. Eventually, with Napoleon’s culture crippling a couple of my captured Japanese and Greek cities (I think he released a culture bomb 3 tiles away from one of them), I gave up and declared war.

Tech Speed

Major success that I was pleased with: Learning democracy in 1160AD – never managed earlier than the late 1300s before. I’m not quite sure what went wrong after that: Reseach seemed quite healthy but my final 1828AD space win was nowhere near the 1700’s one that I guessed ought to be achievable.

The end game was standard space-building stuff, complicated only by my need to continually watch I didn’t accidentally get domination, since I was very close to the limit.

Brave Little Quecha

I will leave you with a final demonstration of AI stupidity and stubbornness:

Note the single quecha defending Huayna’s last city, and my artillery around it. Funny thing is, I’d be more than happy to give him peace and then leave him alone, especially if he gives me music (a useless tech at this stage but it’ll bump up my score a bit). I have no use for Vitcos. I’m more than happy to leave it in Incan hands. Yet he won’t talk to me! What does he think his quecha can do against me?!?!?!?

Waiting the 6-7 turns until he will talk to me (yes, it was a very efficient war, I’d taken four of his five cities within the first couple of turns) isn’t a good option for me because the war weariness is badly hurting me. In the end, thanks to his own refusal to talk, his final city got razed to the ground. Bye bye!

The Wonder Challenge

Oh, and in the wonder challenge: Wonders built (not captured):
75BC Parthenon
75BC Great Lighthouse
250AD Great Library
1020AD Colossus
1100AD Hanging Gardens
1300AD Taj Mahal
1550AD Statue of Liberty
1625AD Angkor Wat
1640AD Kremlin
1705AD Broadway
1770AD Eiffel Tower
1770AD Rock n Roll
1790AD Three Gorges Dam
1804AD Space Elevator
1824AD Pentagon

National wonders:
475AD National Epic
1020AD Heroic Epic
1280AD Forbidden Palace
1420AD Oxford University
1600AD Hermitage
1695AD Scotland Yard
1785AD Wall Street
1808AD Globe Theatre

(Doesn’t count for the wonder challenge, but: captured Oracle from Inca, Pyramids, Chichen Itza, Sistine Chapel from Japan, Dai Miao from France)

@kcd_swede, Looks like I beat you? :lol: Although we both got disqualified because like you I 'forgot' about the agreement not to eliminate anyone.

@kcd_swede, Looks like I beat you? :lol: Although we both got disqualified because like you I 'forgot' about the agreement not to eliminate anyone.

I acknowledge my defeat. Well played! Unlike you, I had trouble sticking to a goal... and it cost me the challenge. OTOH... had I the stamina to keep things going until 1828.... probably I'd have beaten you.:mischief:

It was fun to see what was possible on the WW side. But when it stops being fun, then its time to quit. I learned (or reinforced earlier knowledge, to be precise) that the faster you win, the better your score, no matter what you can do in the meantime. I think that is a fault with CIV in general... it is very Stalinistic ("How many armored divisions does the Vatican have?"), only giving bonus recognition to how many troops you can make. I suggest for Civ 5 that Sid either give bigger bonus for peaceful victories, or reduce the #turns bonus (or make space possible in 10BC???):lol:

Anyhow... congrats! Your marble lust wasn't a total waste!

Game won in 2030 AD when the barbs add Kyoto to their huge empire which spans the continent from coast to coast. I feel like a thief when I win by conquest thanks to my one iceball city way up north. Poor little barbarians, they really deserved to get the victory. :lol:

I really want to see your victory saved game file when the results are released! :goodjob:

Top Bottom