News: GOTM 64 -- Starts March 1

Cactus Pete

Deity
GOTM Staff

GOTM 64: Mexican Mulligan

Prologue
It had been many generations since the gods first spoke to Axolóhua’s people and sent them in search of the fertile and productive land of their destiny. They had traversed blistering deserts and suffered life in sweltering, feverish jungles. Now, at last, they had seen signs that they were close to the sacred site that had been prophesied.

Axolóhua stepped out of the forest and walked to the edge of a lake, his eyes scanning the sky. Then his gaze fell on the center of the lake, where he saw a rocky crag of an island. On the island was a prickly pear cactus. Perched on the cactus was a golden eagle. Grasped in the eagle’s talons was a writhing serpent. This was the foretold scene that would mark the site.

Axolóhua ran into the lake, threw his arms upwards, and shouted to the heavens, “Oh, great Tlālōquê, I have seen your sign! At last our search is over. I do not know how, Tlālōquê, but by my blood and by the blood of my ancestors, I swear to you: Here, upon this lake, my people will settle. We will build our homes on rafts or drain the waters by hand, if we must!”

The golden eagle shrieked, and Axolóhua lowered his gaze. The bird was now silent. The serpent no longer squirmed, but swung its head up calmly to meet Axolóhua’s eyes, and in a raspy hissing voice it said, “Don’t be so literal. You need not settle right in the middle of the lake! Anywhere along the shore will do.”

Axolóhua stood in shock, then cupped his hands and dribbled water onto his overheating scalp.

Now the eagle cocked its head and cried: “Listen closely! Far across the big water, beyond any shore you have ever glimpsed, is a land of tribes that are great in power and in knowledge. I have seen the future. These tribes intend to invade this sacred land. I have seen your people’s glory turned to ruin and seen their blood spilled in the name of a false and foreign god. You are warned, now you must prepare.”

Axolóhua bowed to the eagle and the serpent, and said, “I will carry your warning. I will see that our warriors sharpen their blades and prepare for glorious battle. Let these infidel invaders come. We will slit their throats and eat their hearts and . . .”

The skies suddenly darkened, and lightening flashed. “Heed me!” interrupted the cactus. “I break divine law with every word I utter. Do you think gods deign speak with ephemeral men just to invoke your bellicose bluster?! The forces that will come are nothing like Cópil's sling throwers or the Colhuas warriors you have faced. These men will glisten with armor stronger than stone, they shackle themselves to massive four-legged beasts that obey their every command, and they wield rods of fire and thunder that can shatter a man from great distance. They will think of you as inferior beings and will not hesitate to slaughter you mercilessly. You, too, must be merciless . . . and cunning. From this moment, every step your people take must be in anticipation. See as I see!”

Then a vision came to Axolóhua : Moving across the water, no land within sight, was a great canoe. It was as long as a tree’s trunk and many times as thick. The canoe seemed to be tethered to the clouds themselves. Its bulk was cutting powerfully through the waves, and Axolóhua understood where it was heading.

The vision lifted. Axolóhua saw an ordinary cactus, but the eagle and serpent were gone. Trembling, he turned back toward the shore and ran to deliver the news, both good and bad, to the Aztec people.

Set Up
In this game of the month, you play as the Aztecs and are tasked with preserving the glory of Central America and preventing one of history’s greatest cultural destructions. You begin with a technological disadvantage, but, fortunately, your conflict is not directly with the nations of Europe, only with their colonists. They bring with them superior knowledge (Monarchy, Compass, and Theology being the most advanced), but not the technology to build the galleons in which they sail to the new world or the weapons the original colonizers wield.

The AI is set to aggressive, and, although the game is set to “No Barbarians”, the surrounding jungles and forests are home to vicious tribesmen and melanistic jaguars from the very beginning.

Notes: The pelagic panther you will find when you load the game is dysfunctional, except as a means of revealing Axolóhua’s vision (only a few turns’ sail from your shores). You will need to delete him to avoid paying maintenance. Also, please overlook the historical anomaly of a 4,000BC start, and imagine that the cows are really bison, the sheep are llamas, alpacas, or vicunas, and the bananas represent generic jungle fruit.

Game settings:

Civilization: Aztec (Leader: Montezuma; Traits: Aggressive, Spiritual)
Rivals: 4
Difficulty: Prince
Map: Great Plains (radically modified)
Map Size: Large
Climate: Temperate
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: All huts removed, No Barbarian generation. Agressive AI.
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Montezuma:

Montezuma is Aggressive and Spiritual; starting with Mysticism and Hunting. The Aggressive trait grants Free Promotion to Combat1 for melee and gunpowder units and allows double production speed of Barracks and Drydock. The Spiritual trait provides no anarchy during civic changes and double production speed of Temples.

Unique unit: Jaguar (replaces Swordsman)

The Jaguar replaces the Swordsman. It has a strength of 5, instead of 6, and its special abilities include +10% City Attack and +25% Jungle defense. To build Jaguars requires that you have discovered Iron Working but the iron resource is not needed to build them.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:

Noble: You play the game at Noble difficulty, AI will receive the same starting units as are in the Contender save.

Challenger Class Equalisers:

Monarch: You play the game at Monarch difficulty, AI will receive the same starting units as are in the Contender save and you will score as if playing on Prince.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open on 1 March 2011. From that date, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 April 2011.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Civilization 4 (NOT Warlords or BTS), patched to version 1.74, and with the HOF mod version 1.74.004 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Players using Windows Vista are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Civilization 4 (NOT Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the Mac HOF mod version 1.74.002 installed. You can download the HOF mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of the game outside those threads while it is in progress.

Please write here or send me a Private Message for any technical queries, eg. if you have trouble opening the game. Do NOT post in this thread once you have successfully opened the starting save.

Large, Great Plains. Oh, this one will go quickly. :rolleyes:

I love CP's games, so well thought out in every respect!

Wonder who the 4th AI is?

Is there a reason to move off of that hill?

Very creative Cactus Pete! :goodjob: Looks interesting, and looking forward to playing. Wish it wasn't 3 days away with no active games ongoing now that TSG8 has been delayed for so long...

Presumably we're in a recreation of Central America and so our borders will soon expand to block land access... unless England and France are willing to sign open borders to spread the Gospel!

Wonder who the 4th AI is?

Yeah, the Portuguese and Dutch aren't in vanilla Civ 4 are they? Perhaps the Incas...

Is there a reason to move off of that hill?

I can't see a better spot, even if it does have two desert tiles and a coastal tile we can't improve with a lighthouse. Scout should probably head South just in case, though I presume the gods would be very angry indeed if we settled away from the lake :lol:

Oh, and I guess we won't know what was revealed by the vision until we get and open the save?

I can't see a better spot
Well, there are literally 3 other Blue Circles and we have both a Warrior and a Scout that we can move, so another option could certainly be viable.

Still, it's rare to find GRASSLAND Hills Gold.

But, if we settle in-place, we might be stuck with a low-production capital (it depends upon where Strategic Resources decide to rear their heads--but you don't exactly expect Monte to get to START with any of Copper, Iron, or Horse Resources, do you?).

Presumably, the Warrior can move 1SE and then you can send the Scout wherever you'd like... perhaps S + E, S + SE, or S + SW.

I wonder how close these wandering Panthers are and if we'd lose the game if we wandered our Settler too far away from that Lake... :mischief:

I can't see a better spot, even if it does have two desert tiles and a coastal tile we can't improve with a lighthouse. Scout should probably head South just in case, though I presume the gods would be very angry indeed if we settled away from the lake :lol:

SW-S keeps all the resources, will let you build a lighthouse, and might give us some seafood. And, although you lose the plains hill capital (and probably some forest-chopping potential) so it's not as good in the short term, it has slightly higher long term production potential as you get three tiles with 3+ production.

The question though is whether the threat that CP has alluded to means it's vitally important to get your capital and its defenses up quickly?

Incans to the south with our panther revealing Galleons loaded with European settlers to the east.

If we settle S,SW, then the Europeans could settle on any of the coast tiles (except where warrior is). Should we take this into consideration?

Incans to the south with our panther revealing Galleons loaded with European settlers to the east.

If we settle S,SW, then the Europeans could settle on any of the coast tiles (except where warrior is). Should we take this into consideration?
Similarly, settling in-place significantly delays Christian Missionaries sneaking down to the south in order to convert the Incans.

I assume that this fact is part of the significance of showing us the Missionaries... can you come up with a better reason why we see them? Are they mostly meant to be Panther fodder? :lol:

Lots of questions and assumptions here.

It seems plausible, as people have assumed, that the 4th AI civ is the Incas to the South, and the panther is going to show us English, French or Spanish galleons arriving with settlers.

We know that the Europeans have some techs, apparently not many military ones, but we don't know how many. If writing is amongst them, then we can open borders immediately (if an aggressive AI will allow it?)

Settling in place will almost certainly stop the English missionary heading South, but it will only stop the French one if he doesn't move South the first couple of turns, as there's 5 turns till our borders expand and block all land. If we can open borders, then there's a good chance we can pick up Christianity, otherwise I'm guessing those missionaries will either convert the cities the arriving settlers found, or get killed by barbs. Converting Inca is only likely to happen if Inca is very close. I'm guessing that's not the case because we're presumbly going to get quickly boxed in quite badly by European colonists, so having the Incas boxing us in too will be dire. I don't think Cactus Pete is that mean ;)

On the other hand there is an unknown of whether the galleons will really settle on our shores quickly. Just because they are there doesn't mean the AI is guaranteed to move them in our direction - I don't believe you can force that in Worldbuilder, though with the missionaries revealing the map to the English and French, that could be quite likely, if they are the galleon-owners :(

Then there's the barbs to consider. With barbarian jaguars around, there's probably little point sending the warrior and scout exploring very far. Getting axeman (or, if there's no copper around, jaguars) ourselves will be a priority. Even archers will be not much use against jaguars :( I don't know how near the nearest barbs are, and I'd like to know how many turns of safety we have before they can enter our borders (I guess someone needs to do a test game to discover that).

The barb defence issue could be a good reason to settle in-place. I don't think the existence of European settlers will have much bearing on the decision, because I'm sure there's lots of coastline they can land on (and no doubt, wherever we settle, they'll pick the nice spots with lots of resources :( ) On balance, in-place looks the best spot of all the ones visible, but personally I'm loathe to settle there without seeing if there's seafood, and having that lake and not being able to build a lighthouse would be very annoying. So I might well be contrarian and see what SW-S has to offer.

Tech trading is going to be interesting, we may well find we have to plan very carefully to actually have anything we can trade, early on! On the other hand, if the Europeans already know alphabet, that could help us to get techs very early.

I was going to say that becoming Christian ourselves could be good for avoiding early wars (especially if Huayna becomes something different - he'll end up the target of European aggression!), but then I noticed that in the screenshot, the European leaders don't have the icons to indicate state religions. I'm not sure if they're not there or whether CP has cropped the picture to avoid showing that. (Cactus Pete? Willing to give us any clues? :D) I also wonder if anything can be deduced from the AI scores. England and France both have 126, Spain 139. So either Spain has a higher population than the others, or more techs. CP hasn't given any indication that the colonists have any settled cities, so maybe it's a tech difference?

Oh, and one other thing, and I guess this one is a direct question to Cactus Pete: The write-up suggests disapproval from the Gods if we don't settle on the shore of the lake, but there's no indication of any actual penalty in competition terms if we don't. Can we actually settle anywhere?

One other thought - wouldn't settling on the stone give us a 2-hammer city tile? It looks like that would also give us at least 3 hills to work, but at a cost of losing the gold (and if there are European settlers arriving, they might then grab it, so that could be a very high cost).

"whether CP has cropped the picture to avoid showing that" No, don't have the skills.

Interesting discussion, though I suspect the gods might be a bit troubled by it.

Interesting discussion, though I suspect the gods might be a bit troubled by it.
Because an infidel raised the thought of converting to Christianity? Or because we missed something in the intro?

Another plus of S,SW: we can build galleys to sail west and found cities on coast.

EDIT - following added:

DynamicSpirit: With barbarian jaguars around, there's probably little point sending the warrior and scout exploring very far. Getting axeman (or, if there's no copper around, jaguars) ourselves will be a priority. Even archers will be not much use against jaguars I don't know how near the nearest barbs are, and I'd like to know how many turns of safety we have before they can enter our borders (I guess someone needs to do a test game to discover that).
I believe the world is populated with panthers and barb warriors and/or archers. The Panthers won't enter our borders. (not our kind of jaguars)
Cactus Pete: The AI is set to aggressive, and, although the game is set to &#8220;No Barbarians&#8221;, the surrounding jungles and forests are home to vicious tribesmen and melanistic jaguars from the very beginning.

@CP - :hatsoff: for pelagic and melanistic. Could you add agressive AI to the options for completeness?

I think I would put the warrior on the gold and the scout on teh corn to prevent jungle/forest spread.

Some confusion above as to melanistic (black) "jaguars" - does CactusPete mean really mean Jaguar tribesman with an attack of 5+ or jaguar animals (black panthers)?

He clearly defines the pelagic (water) panther who is out of screen sight to reveal Axolóhua&#8217;s vision, so then I wonder about the black jaguars.... man or beast? It will make quite a bit of difference if he truly meant barbarian jaguars, as little could be done to defend against that. I think Deckhand believes the barbs are not jaguar men, and DS believes they are indeed powerful men.

Top Bottom