News: TSG58 Announcement

I forget, what was the strategy that originally led the game away from policy saving? I remember not liking it but feeling like I had to do it to be competitive. Saving culture at what point and until when? Is there an old GOTM thread that lays this out? I'm not sure how I want to approach this, but I would like to be aware of the old standard way of approaching this before i decide.

Originally, the strategy was to save nearly all your policies until Cristo Redentor and Freedom, back when Cristo was easier to get to and when it gave a huge discount.

Now, it means you can save your points and get everything in the Freedom tree as soon as you hit Industrial. I'll probably grab Tradition, Aristocracy, and then save up for the 10% reducer in Piety, and then save everything else for Freedom. Depends on if I go one city or not.

Game options: Promotion Saving and Policy Saving are enabled. Ancient Ruins are turned off. Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Mhh. Those are unusual options. Might create a very different game. Interesting. :)

I am debating between the + culture pantheons or the 15% discount on wonders. Since I want gl, oracle, petra and terracottta army it might be the best move. The time savings should be very significant.
The only real downside is the time delay for camps before selling lux.

Thanks for these GotMs. It is by far the best way to learn how to play this game. Played through some of the older ones and it is great to see how others played the same map. This will be my first attempt at playing a game for submission.

:hatsoff: yea, no random luck huts. thank you.

policy saving should make for an interesting twist too.

cas

After a big break i will play this GOTM. In fact i already begun but i'm only at the turn 70 so no update yet.

Dear mother of god, policy saving changes everything. Sounds fun. :goodjob:

I usually can get 14 policies done before Industrial, and that's with going Tradition first and sometimes being forced to take a 15th. And I should actually be able to get more culture before industrial with policy saving, so taking up to 10 policies before industrial seems safe.

I'm thinking Aristocracy for first 2 policies, Religious Tolerance for second 5 policies, leaving me with 3 to play with. Legalism and Landed Elite / Monarchy tempt me in one direction, while Patronage and either Aesthetics or Scholasticism pull me the other way. Or, if going with more than one city, I suppose Representation would be the choice. Alternatively, I could go the whole hog and fill out the entire tradition, after getting religious tolerance, for the growth benefits (and getting 11 policies isn't too drastic, especially when you can splice Piety in first). Decisions, decisions.

I might cross the river to get the mt. in my second ring.

I will look for a chance to pull a Yoinks! achievement, marry a cs with 15 units. I might try a liberty tradition opener for culture. Last time I did and racked up lots of culture that way.

How does the Liberty Tradition opener for culture work?

Have there been any good articles or strategies written since G&K on policy saving? I'm always of opinion that "smaller early bonuses are better than later larger bonuses", so I'm always weary of saving a policy for later. But there is a tipping point (great scientist academy vs. bulbing in the late game).

I could see waiting 10 turns to save a policy if you are going to hit a new era and unlock a previously unavailable tree. Are there any cases where you would save several policies so you can unlock half a tree in one turn? Or would you just take no policies until you get to the renaissance or industrial to spend them all at once?

Have there been any good articles or strategies written since G&K on policy saving? I'm always of opinion that "smaller early bonuses are better than later larger bonuses", so I'm always weary of saving a policy for later. But there is a tipping point (great scientist academy vs. bulbing in the late game).

I could see waiting 10 turns to save a policy if you are going to hit a new era and unlock a previously unavailable tree. Are there any cases where you would save several policies so you can unlock half a tree in one turn? Or would you just take no policies until you get to the renaissance or industrial to spend them all at once?

Since the goal is culture, and lets say you can get to Industrial to unlock Freedom by t150 to 200, you can acquire 7-8 policies by then. The question would be should I save some of those to spend all at once on Freedom? But, tradition opener + 3 in Piety might be a wise plan, or an extra one in Tradition for wonders, or 1 more in tradition for a free culture building...

Constitution and the Freedom finisher are the biggest culture boosters outside of Reformation, out of all policies, so unlocking them dozens of turns earlier, immediately on entering Industrial, is certainly tempting.

This sounds like fun, will be doing the GOTM and interesting start. Going to be fun and a challenge to play at this level. Just recently finished the gauntlet and looking for more.

Played first 3 games and little in Civ 4. Just recently started playing Civ 5 so it'll be a good experience for me to see how I do in this.

Just 1 quick question, should I keep the autosaves, just in case or no need too do that?

This sounds like fun, will be doing the GOTM and interesting start. Going to be fun and a challenge to play at this level. Just recently finished the gauntlet and looking for more.

Played first 3 games and little in Civ 4. Just recently started playing Civ 5 so it'll be a good experience for me to see how I do in this.

Just 1 quick question, should I keep the autosaves, just in case or no need too do that?
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

We ask that you set your autosaves to 1 turn in case of a crash, you can easily remember your moves for the turn you will need to replay. There is no requirement to keep autosaves, so you can set the number to keep at whatever you are comfortable with.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom