News: TSG59 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 59
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Fifty-Ninth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomacy. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Diplomacy victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as the Netherlands and lead the Dutch Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Prince difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomatic victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until May 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V G&K - TSG59 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: William - Netherlands
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 18
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Prince
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.44. There is no dlc in this game.

**Make note of the new game version. This reflects the new patch released Wednesday March 13th, 2013.

In this game, you will be playing as William, you possess The Dutch East India Company. You retain 50% of the Happiness benefits from a Luxury Resource if your last copy of it is traded away.

You can build the Sea Beggar. This Naval Unit specializes in attacking coastal cities to earn gold and capturing enemy ships. Only the Dutch may build it. It heals outside friendly territory and starts with the first two Coastal Raider promotions allowing it to earn gold from attacking coastal cities. It may also capture enemy naval units it defeats as prize ships.

You can also improve tiles with the Polder. This improvement may only be placed on Flood Plains and Marshes and is available with the technology Guilds. Only the Dutch may use it. Tiles improved with a Polder get a +3 bonus to food that improves with later technologies.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Wednesday, 15 May 2013.

The Save can be found here.

Move warrior to east stone then to NE hill to see what's out that way. I'd likely settle on the hill next to the cows and sugar to put more food in the first ring. This means spending the first two turns moving the settler and founding the capital on the 3rd turn.

I just got done playing a whole week of Netherlands games to get the achievement.

After that diety challenge, this should be a bit simpler.

I bet that is a lake, not a sea. I think silver for a starting location, stone circles for faith and scouts to find those cs.

Hammer, a question for you:

Q: when you say Map type: Mystery does that mean random was chosen for the map type, or you chose the map type in the settings when creating the game but keep the map type a mystery to the players?

I've only played 1 other GOTM so just looking for clarification.

Prince should be nice and relaxing. I may give this a try.

Hammer, a question for you:

Q: when you say Map type: Mystery does that mean random was chosen for the map type, or you chose the map type in the settings when creating the game but keep the map type a mystery to the players?

I've only played 1 other GOTM so just looking for clarification.

Prince should be nice and relaxing. I may give this a try.

Before playing the save you can always check the settings in the display before clicking start. It will tell you things like what difficulty, what game speed, and what map type is listed. If it says random the map was indeed generated randomly. All of our maps are random so players don't preselect their strategies. And we play-test before posting them to make sure there are no surprises that create an imbalance in gameplay (like certain wonders combined with some of the civilizations).

Hope that helps.

HR

Will send the scout to the east on the hill to have a look, if we do not discover sth overly nice, will settle on the silver. Mining / quarry will be the path to follow methinks.

Difficulty level a bit too low, but will make for a softer game

There will be huts I suppose?

Before playing the save you can always check the settings in the display before clicking start. It will tell you things like what difficulty, what game speed, and what map type is listed. If it says random the map was indeed generated randomly. All of our maps are random so players don't preselect their strategies. And we play-test before posting them to make sure there are no surprises that create an imbalance in gameplay (like certain wonders combined with some of the civilizations).

Hope that helps.

HR

Perfect thanks.

I think I might give this a try tonight. Never played as William before.

I bet that is a lake, not a sea. I think silver for a starting location, stone circles for faith and scouts to find those cs.
Yes, that is a lake. You can tell because lakes always provide 2 food + 1 gold, whereas a coastal (sea/ocean) tile would only produce 1 food + 1 gold.

Of course, ocean tiles can yield more with Lighthouses, the Colossus, and Harbor/Seaport/Fishing Boat if they have the right resource. Whereas Lakes always have a static yield (only Aztecs can get a bump, and that is only with their unique building).

I would want to get away from that lake. If you notice, there's a coastline on the hex 2W from settler, so I will almost certainly move the settler somewhere to the east. First move is the warrior E-NE, and go from there. Most likely I'd settle on the hill I send my warrior to.

Of course, I still haven't played the last gotm, been so busy, so not even sure I'll get to this game.

Settling on the silver mine seems a no brainer for me. But i will finish the previous GOTM first. :D

Settle on silver you say...I've never settled on a direct resource before. Whats the purpose with that, get the boost from happyfaces right away? But on the other hand you must lack the squarebonus you get when improved by a worker?

Yes, that is a lake. You can tell because lakes always provide 2 food + 1 gold, whereas a coastal (sea/ocean) tile would only produce 1 food + 1 gold.

Of course, ocean tiles can yield more with Lighthouses, the Colossus, and Harbor/Seaport/Fishing Boat if they have the right resource. Whereas Lakes always have a static yield (only Aztecs can get a bump, and that is only with their unique building).

You are correct, I was just looking at the shape.
I think I will explore the lake for the river and look for some nice marsh or floodplains to build a science city. There won't be any hidden resources, but it is a good start.

Stone circles, papal primacy seem likely religious choices.

Ok. In the long run...worth it or not?

The silver tile has another advantage: it is adjacent to the lake --> this means you can build the garden. I don't know if there are perhaps other buildings which are enabled?

My first thought is to settle on the hill next to the cattle, but move the Warrior SE on to the hill for visibility, and then Next turn move him ne to scout from the NE hill, to see if that's a better hill for the city.

I'm starting my game right now... so hope i made the right choice

Top Bottom