News: TSG60 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 60
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the sixtieth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Domination. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Domination victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Dido and lead The Carthaginian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Immortal difficulty and at standard pace. Domination victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until June 3rd to complete the game and submit.

Welcome back to our Mac players. Hope you will not be patched out again soon. :wavey:

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. In addition, once you receive your two free techs from Rationalism, and should you switch to Piety, you may not switch back to Rationalism to gain an additional two free techs. :nono:

Civ V G&K - TSG60 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Dido - Carthage
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 20
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Immortal
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion Saving is enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.44. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Dido, you possess Phoenician Heritage. All coastal cities get a free Harbor. Units may cross mountains after the first Great General is earned, taking 50 HP damage if they end their turn on a mountain

You can train the African Forest Elephant, which replaces the Horseman. The African Forest Elephants are slower but more powerful than the Horseman. They can move after attacking. They also strike fear into nearby enemy units, giving them all negative combat modifiers. Success in combat with an Elephant has an increased chance of generating a Great General. You need to discover the technology of Horseback Riding and you do not need a resource to build it.

You can also train the Quinquereme, which replaces the Trireme. The Quinquereme has a stronger combat strength than the Trireme. Like the Trireme it is a melee attack unit, engaging both units at sea and cities (but has no ranged attack). The Quinquereme cannot enter Deep Ocean tiles outside of city borders. You need to discover the technology of Sailing but you do not need a resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please do not use this thread once you have opened the game save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Action thread. This thread is used to discuss the first 100 or so turns in your game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Monday, 3 June 2013.

The Save can be found here.

Looks like an amazing start, won't even think about moving the settler. Carthage is the one civ with whom I definitely don't mind getting sea resources :) unless something unexpected happens, I'll try to get God of the Sea pretty soon for some insane crab tiles.

I'm having trouble figuring out if I should take God of the Sea or the +:c5science: per trade route belief.

Sea resources will already be good because of the free harbors, and while more production is always good maybe the extra beakers help in keeping up with the AI on Immortal.

I've actually only won once on this level (the past TSG with Sweden, also domination).

Its a bad day to be a Roman, assuming they are out there. And why wouldn't they be?

hint: CB rush is way better, than Elephants. I have tried the latter on the last Chartage Gotm and failed big time:)

Lots of pantheon choices: sea, stone circles, plantations, even lots of jungle tiles... Hoping for a close by faith cs.

Do you think an elephant rush is even feasible?

Settling in place is a no-brainer on this map. It would have been nice to have a different VC with Carthage since we had domination with them the last time they came up.

Yeah, Dido is back :D First GOTM i played was the previous Dido (lower difficulty) and i sucked big times getting a fast win cause i started wars way too late for my Elephants. Let's try to get better results this time. Starting location looks nice : bananas and fish/crab for growth, hill start, marble, jungle for later science. Only missing a mountain and river.

Immortal Domination is always fun.

However, I do have to admit that I'm a tad bit disappointed to see another Carthage Domination. If you recall, the other Carthage game was also Domination (King). Would have liked to play around with other strategies instead.

That being said, thanks for another TSG! :)

Settling in place is a no-brainer on this map. It would have been nice to have a different VC with Carthage since we had domination with them the last time they came up.
Agreed. Any chance we could see the Preferred VC changed or is it too late at this point? ;)

it would be interesting if the map has lots of mountains and the map type is not pangea or islands.

Looks like a sweet start, GotS or MotG ? That is the question... I think on pangea or islands extra hammers would be better, while on continents extra science can help with faster education and astro. Decisions, decisions, I guess we'll see what other city spots are like.

Looks like a sweet start, GotS or MotG ? That is the question... I think on pangea or islands extra hammers would be better, while on continents extra science can help with faster education and astro. Decisions, decisions, I guess we'll see what other city spots are like.

dont forget +1 culture from jungle pantheon. it shouldnt be forgotten about, imo. ive taken it a couple times and it can make up for a slow culture start if you chose to go Liberty heavy. but MotG just seems fun for this. I generally want 3 fish tiles in my cap for GotS. I know you can get more from more cities but without knowing what the map is like im thinking MotG or jungle culture.

(btw, I have nothing to do with Leif's maps so I can play this one like a regular submission.)

The wheel is needed for the trade routes. The only time you need compass as well is for building a harbor with any other civ. Carthage gets their free harbors from the start, so compass is not needed for the coastal trade routes with this civ.

What tech do you need to get harbors to work like trade routes? Compass? Or wheel?

You start with a free harbor, you don't need the tech for it to show up... also i think the trade roots are instant from the moment you create a new coastal city, but this i didn't test properly.

hint: CB rush is way better, than Elephants. I have tried the latter on the last Chartage Gotm and failed big time:)

I also tried the last Gotm Carthage domination with an elephant rush and it wasn't nearly as efficient as a CB rush. They come a little later, take damage when attacking cities and also have a penalty for attacking cities. Optimal is to have CBs and a few elephants, as they create fear (-15% strenght) into opponents.

You start with a free harbor, you don't need the tech for it to show up... also i think the trade roots are instant from the moment you create a new coastal city, but this i didn't test properly.
In my last game with Dido I had the feeling that trade route connection in coastal cities appeared after researching Sailing, but I didn't pay much attention to that. The only thing I noticed that immediatelly after researching The Wheel, the coastal city doesn't have a trade route sign. Some turns later, when I connected inland city with road the sign appeared (If I remember I tech Sailing in the meantime).

The only thing I noticed that immediatelly after researching The Wheel, the coastal city doesn't have a trade route sign.

In addition to researching the Wheel, there must be a clear path from your capital to the other city to establish a trade route. That means that the coastal water tiles have to be explored and that there can't be any civs or city states blocking the path, unless the city state is at least friendly.

Three sea resources! I think settle in place, which gives 5-turn scout. Then shrine and another scout, trying to meet some religious CS. With 20 of them out there... It must be God of the Sea, right? The more difficult choice seems to me which policy path to take.

Top Bottom