News: WOTM 17 Final Spoiler

Thrallia

Prodigal Staffer
GOTM Staff

WOTM 17 Final Spoiler

Reading Requirements
  1. Completed and submitted your game.

Posting Restrictions
  1. Do not post anything providing info on the location of modern-age resources (oil, uranium, aluminium).

Sorry for the delay everybody, finals month is so busy I forgot I hadn't put up the final spoiler already.

I was able to grind out a domination win in 1621.

I was able to take san egypian city placed in the excellent location to the west of thebes early with a warrior rush. I waited till cats to finish egypt off, but during this time they settled an island south of the Vikings. After securing a solid base and building infrastructure I took a barb city which was settled on the narrow Isthmus between Me and Shaka. Around 1000 AD I think I declared war on Shaka with Maces and Trebechets and had a fairly easy time with him, easier than I expected. I was able to march easly down to his main area, and by this point had little resistance taking his capitol. I vassalized Shaka with only a couple of cities left to the SW of his capitol.

At this point in the gameit was becoming a race of 3 powers. Russia was in the lead and had a huge production base but a little behind in tech. I was second and The viking were third and keeping up in tech. I stayed very friendly with the vikings till near the end and tech traded with them, pushing the two of use soignfigantly ahead of russia tech wise. Russia was busy invading and vassalizing the americans, taking all there cities up to washington. Fredick was weak and a minor player.

I decided to push forward with the naval techs first then military second, gaining mastery of the seas. I got astronomy and riflemen (rifling from liberalism) and used a force of mainyl rifleman to invade Russa, first landing at Washington. With my advantage in ships i laid waste to russais coast and navy which allowed me to keep my homeland weekly defended and continualy pushing troups forward. I kept a large force in washington and had to defeat several large stacks of doom coming my way from Stalin, using my tech advange for all it was worth. Stalin quickly got rifling as well, which slowed my advance, but I took the remaining american cities on the continent and took a couple of russian cities that they had capured from america. This war was slow and deliberate, with me first bleeding russain strength by taking out his stacks then slowly and carefully moving forawrd. I often would take a city with a cavelery or knight unit and remove it from the city, so that Stalin would reoocpy it and i would kill more. I sued for peace and researched up to infrantry and attacked again. It was anbother carefull, long and deliberate war, Stalin started to break down. I took all of his cities on the continent and vassalized him with onyl his island cities remaining.

This almost put me to the domination limit and I needed a short war against fredrick and ragnar (Fredick was vassaled some time earlier), to get the last few tiles and population points. Ragnar was ahead in tech now and hit me hard but I weathered the storm and focused on taking Fredicks cities, as he was behind in tech. I took enough cities that freidck declraed independence allowing meb to regain peace with ragnar and gain enough cities from frewdick to win and sigh with relief, my first win on immortal in a GOTM.

I built only 3 cities the entire game. Orleans to get the clam and the southern gold. A city on the island just soiuth of us for the copper and A city to the west because no one else put one there. Everything else was borrowed.

I hope my game will count as my computer died in the middle of it but i was so focused on the game i installed the game on another conmputer to play for a while. Still though it was nice to win a tough game with one of the most tactical and grueling wars I have ever fought.

Conquest Loss - 1755AD

Settled in place, built a city to the north for the deer and cows, and one for the gold and clams NE, and one west to block shaka in. Later one on the island for the bronze and seafood resources.

I think this is where I messed up, too many cities in poor locations early on, caused my tech rate to plummet to near 0%.

Didn't even consider attacking shaka, as by the time I had bronze/horses hooked up and had a few units I think he had 8+ cities down and what seemed like a lot of units. Thought about attacking egypt, but because I went settler mad early, his cities were too well defended.

Decided to go for a culture win fairly early, as it seemed the only likely option. But here I made my next big mistake, I picked the tundra city to the north as one of the three culture cities, just because I had managed to build a wonder or two there, and it was fairly big. It had really poor commerce :crazyeye:

Begged a couple of early techs off egypt, and later on I got so far behind that they gifted me one or two more, as did ragnar (without even being asked, one was nationalism I think; sure sign things are going very badly).

Shaka founded Conf. so I then had to keep switching religons when asked (threatened :) by either ragnar/egypt or shaka or either side of me, trying to keep everyone happy.

Someone (Russia maybe?) built the Apollo program around the 17th/18th centuries, the french were still a bit behind at this point - lacking the tech 'Gunpowder' they could not even manage a garden firework rocket :)

Ragnar and Shaka then declared on egypt one after another with shaka finally wiping egypt out. Then at last a bit of luck; two of the captured cities flipped to me because of culture (3 holy shrines and some other wonders!).

About 10 turns after this Russia declared on me, and landed two forces of tanks, gunships and artillery on either end of the landmass. I was defending with longbows and macemen. Only amusing part was the defense of orleans; a city defense II longbow being attacked by an undamaged artillery and winning with hardly a scratch and a maceman as one of the last defenders sallying out of the city and hitting a damaged tank until it blew up :p Pity about the other half dozen tanks and gunships really :(

Realizing I was going to loose the two holy cities gained by culture I gifted them to shaka to try and get him to join in and help me out; by this time Paris had fallen and I was down to just the Island city, stalin wouldn't make peace and his transports were in view.

A couple of turns later Shaka declares war! But the poor confused Zulu fool declared on me :( Same turn he lands a transport loaded with tanks on the island and the next turn it's his. Game over.

I was mowed down by Rammy the Chariot God, sometime in the BC's. (where were you, jesus?)

2 Things I Know I Did Wrong:

1. Not using creative. I should have settled in the AI's face, not up in the tundra with the barb's all learning how to sharpen my bone piercing technique.(which Rammy showed much prowess in, by display of Scythed Chariots)

2. Teching all peaceful like. It should have been Bronze Working and chopping forests into sharp things, not playing pastures in the meadow.

Anyway, we learn, then die.

Hi all,

I just had the second most annoying ever sudden end to a Civ game in all my years of addiction (the first was about a year ago and it involved Alexander; I still haven't got over it, and I shudder whenever I realise he is on ANY game). Still, I need to get it out of my chest, because it just had to happen on this marathon Warlords game, which I had been playing for almost 16 hours.

The short of it is this: a UN message in the corner of the screen (after three rounds of voting for secretary general already), vote for Stalin/Ragnar, blah, blah, blah. Without too much thought, I vote for Stalin for what I think is his fourth consecutive tenure as Secretary General (well done him!) and carry on with this highly entertaining game. One turn later, it is game over, because the vote was really for Diplomatic Victory. Not only that, Stalin has won because of my vote!

This is my face :eek: Then :mad: Then :( and now again :mad:

I was really enjoying having lasted so long at this level, surviving 4 challenging wars and being within spitting distance of second place (this was my current strategy, after several changes of mind: get to second, launch a charm offensive and win a diplomatic victory. I think I have been punished for dreaming).

If anybody with the power to do so is reading this, can the two voting messages be made more distinctive in future versions, please? Maybe I'm not the first one to whom this has happened, although for sure I will be much more careful in future.

While I'm at it, my game explained. After Paris, I started spreading to the West (!) to block Shaka, and had a long period fighting barbarians and building communications while I could see the Egyptians effortlessly blooming right in front of me. Got more or less to a stable situation by the 1300s, sixth on the scoreboard and behind on almost everything, but about to have my first musketeer. At this point, I had to take a whole month break from the game, for personal reasons and, when I went back, I realised that something drastic was needed or I was a sitting duck.

Now, I'm not the warring type and try always to get on with everybody, but it was painfully clear I had to try to take some Egyptian cities in order to keep in the game. The musketeers came handy, I took most of Egypt in two goes (mainland + two cities in an island to the East), and left Rameses II with just one tiny city on a frozen island which put my mind to the fate of Adam Monroe at the end of series 2 of Heroes, for some reason.

So everybody had or was a vassal by now, apart from Shaka, who seemed quite happy doing his own thing. I was going to concentrate on research and beefing up my cities, when Ragnar (and Frederick, his . .. .. .. .. .) declared war on me, out of the blue. They bombarded my coastal cities for ages, which declined because of their reliance on marine resources and the destroyers taking up sea tiles. I managed to defend the mainland by the skin of my teeth from several waves of foe landings, but lost all three of my island cities. It was a shame for Rheims (in the island south of Paris) which had got to size 17 and, apart from a bit of unhappiness sometimes, it was really doing well. After that, I had to watch how it dwindled all the way to size 2, which broke my heart.

This war went on and on, and even though I was losing, it was not in a catastrophic fashion. I was getting the techs just on the turn when I needed them to stay alive, and had a few very hairy moments. Some units pulled out real feats of heroism ;) When I thought my luck had run out, Stalin (and Roosevelt, his . .. .. .. .. .) declared war to the Viking/German axis, and all of a sudden the pressure was off and I even managed to take back one of the island cities. I was still in this multi-sided war when Shaka decided to declare war on me, and then it was war everywhere, a real world war. I thought that I was done in, but Shaka had got cocky on the strength of a big navy of destroyers and wasn't too strong on the land units. I defended the bottleneck cities on land while he pounded my coast, and made peace with Ragnar/Frederick in the meantime. Once Shaka's first (and only) land push was contained, I pushed south myself with the intention of pillaging, but then changed my mind when I saw that two of his cities could be taken with the forces I was commanding. The birth of a Great General at that point made up my mind.

I took the two cities, at which point I saw Shaka's first tank coming at me, and hastily made peace. I spent the next turns trying to push on research and culture, and I was within spitting distance of second place Ragnar (greatly weakened by his war with almighty Stalin) when the bloody diplomatic gaffe took place and I started swearing.

This was a very enjoyable game. I really enjoy epic and marathon settings, as their pace allows for a more involved and strategic approach, and for making up for mistakes.

Anyway, back to life (and BOTM!). Greetings to all.

My second GOTM. Kinda hard difficulty with Immortal, I havnt really beat that difficulty at all in a fair civ4 game. Anyhow, marathon speed made it easier I guess.

I started out settling in place and built 2 cities, one of which claimed the horse resourse far to the west. I massed out a chariot army with chopping and whipping, took 2 egyptian cities and plundered all improvments on the capital.

Problem now was that my economy had crashed. I spent a long long time trying to build cotteges and courthouses (got Code of laws with oracle). I also captured 2 barbarian cities which may not have been so wise as they crippled my economy futher.

Anyhow, when i got to catapults I built a huge army and moved down Shaka. I was surprised of how well it went and my game was really good right now. Problem was, Stalin and Vikings were doing really well also.

After war with shaka I slowed down and tried to build my economy. A long time passed but the Vikings and Stalin were still ahead of my in tech and score. No AI wanted to trade with me :\ -3 You declared was on my friend (egypt dead in 100 AD) stayed all game more or less.

Vikings decided to war me before I was ready but as I switched all my cities first to Iron calds and then to cannons I turned the combat around and actually invaded viking continent over quite a long time. I made peace with vikings and without any clear plan on how to win I did have trouble.

I decided to try to go for a culture win and turtled up and went for it.

Problem was stalin had by now vassalized all of the AI civs except tiny Shaka. Stalin even made the Vikings his vassal. Lateron stalin researched mass media, built UN. Diplomatic election, stalin + vassals = diplomatic win for stalin :(
Ohh well... Lost to Stalins "diplomatic win"

Anyhow, when i got to catapults I built a huge army and moved down Shaka. I was surprised of how well it went and my game was really good right now. Problem was, Stalin and Vikings were doing really well also.

After war with shaka I slowed down and tried to build my economy. A long time passed but the Vikings and Stalin were still ahead of my in tech and score. No AI wanted to trade with me :\ -3 You declared was on my friend (egypt dead in 100 AD) stayed all game more or less.

In many ways yoiur game sounds like mine. The couple of things I did different.

1) I waited to take the nearby barb cities until I was ready to take down Shaka, so they did not wiegh me down in maintance. Also one was on the Isthmus, forming a border between Shaka and I.

2) I adopted Ragnars relgion As soon as it spread to my lands. I never spread it much, but the diplo bonus alowed me to trade with him and stay on his good side until near the end, I was able to tech trade with Ragnar up and leave Stalin in the tech dust, keeping ragnar from trading with him. This was probably the most important diplomatic decision of the game for me.

Domination 1274 AD 252 113 points

In few words: warrior rush on egipt 2nd city(I leave them till the end). Then lots of wonders(except mids allmost every usefull one). 5 cities early on with 2 gold mines for support. Later take Ragnar main cities and i've attack Shaka(around 500AD) and take most of his cities. Then finded Washington and Stalin. Stalin attacked America and start to take thier cities while i was figthing with last Saka's cities. At one point when Stalin start to win his war i give him few good tech to stop figth because i wanted Americas cities for me. i've attacked and vassalized(as all other civs except russia) America easily with musketeers. In fact i missed medieval warfare and from swords+Elephants+cats i go directly to musketeers. The war with Stalin was next and was the biggest challenge i've met this game. He has lots of HAs in 2-3 stacks which i've killed. That was little close because if he has go for guilds earlier i could have big troubles(he get guilds when he already hasn't army). During the big war with russia i've declered war on every one left and vasalized them. These wars were mostly fast musketeer marshes without big resistance. I've take Thebes, few Rangar cities and kick Frederick in no time.

very impressive win Hellwich, you kicked my score by a wide margin.

A Question. Did you discover Astronomy to get over to Stalin or did you get over some other way?

I've used a culture bridge from former shakas city. In fact Washington culture hit mine first. I can't remember exactly but imo i didn't research Astro at all.
About the game - this are my fovourive settings : immortal+marathon. The leader+capitol location were very good too. During the BC i've got a good set of wonders: GL,GLighthouse,ToA, Parthenon. My economy was based on 2 the gold ealy on then on trade routes(GLighthouse,ToA+harbours) and the cottages come when i took Ragnar cities. I've take Nationalism from Lib and self research Gunpower. Then i've got Eng and almost shut down the reserch.(i've got Chemistry but very slow till the end).

I used galley chain to Stalin, and then marched towards Washington while the galley chain shifted from east chain to west chain (from capital, it took 15 turns). Then I attacked Shaka from west with my main army and delayed the capture of the coastal city (warlords enables galleys on enemy oceans).

I've used a culture bridge from former shakas city. In fact Washington culture hit mine first. I can't remember exactly but imo i didn't research Astro at all.
About the game - this are my fovourive settings : immortal+marathon. The leader+capitol location were very good too. During the BC i've got a good set of wonders: GL,GLighthouse,ToA, Parthenon. My economy was based on 2 the gold ealy on then on trade routes(GLighthouse,ToA+harbours) and the cottages come when i took Ragnar cities. I've take Nationalism from Lib and self research Gunpower. Then i've got Eng and almost shut down the reserch.(i've got Chemistry but very slow till the end).

I went a very different way to apporach the game then, but i also have not won that often at this level so I did not feel like I could gamble with an early dominaytion, my goal was just to win.(and i had never played Marathon as well). My stratigy for victory was interly based on naval supiriotity. I got to astro first. which alloowed me to fight Stalin entriely on my terms, moving troops along the coast to wherever they were needed and allowing me to leave my own continent weakly defended. I did the same thing with destroyers later. I never found the Culture bridge that Stalin used to contact me early. I think it was to the west near ragnar as I did not contact Washington till after Astronomy.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THIS GAME!!!

I was Shaka's beyotch the whole game. Last until 1685, tried to keep him as friendly as possible for most of the game, he declared an offensive war on me 4 times, each time I was at least +3-5 in our diplomacy but he out teched me and had massive number of units.

First war I manage to actually take one of his cities, called the peace but he declared again not to long after (regardless of my gifts and niceties because I knew I couldn't survive another war with his Cavalry vs. my Muskets... he moved in took 2 cities, could only make peace giving him one of my Tundra cities. Then he declared again, took 2 more Tundra cities, sat on Paris' steps, decimated the land and I was able to call for peace (think I gave him LOTS of cash).

By now Ragnar and Frederick came after me - Ragner took my old Egyptian cities to the east as my forces were in the west, but while he did have Cavalry + Riflemen I was able to now build a force of Cannons and Granadiers - took back those cities, but still couldn't call for peace (his min. was Thebes) but aside from guarding my seas Ragnar + Fred didn't do much else.

Started to get back on track, trying to get some modern defense, tried to make Shaka as happy as possible, and had good relations with the lead Stalin, bloody Shaka declares AGAIN... I move all my troops to Paris but his wave of Cavalry took care of it pretty quickly, Stalin wouldn't help me, Ragnar would only accept a city for peace, hardly any forces or cities who had any size or production. Shaka took all my mainland cities, then I had Lyon on that small resource rich island, who managed to hold out quite a while until someone landed some Infantry to booster their Cavalry and it was game over.

Really didn't enjoy this one - I couldn't figure out anything to do to keep Shaka away from me... everyone else (except Stalin, who I couldn't get any war help or Defensive Pact because I couldn't get to peace times) I would have been able to defend and even retaliate against - but there just wasn't any chance :( Last couple hours of playing this game were quite depressing because my conquest was inevitable.

Wow what a long and tough game.

I was going for Conquest victory, and got it! :cool:

Conquest win 1245AD; 280,000points.

I was very nervous about the domination land limit and had to avoid getting a domination win. I ended up with 63.40% out of 64%!!

In short:

Used warriors on Egypt (not as efficient a rush as some people's)
Axes / Galleys on Ragnar (just took his closest cities)
Demolished Shaka with Sword/Axes (left him a few small cities)
Took 90% of Ragnar and vassalized him, had Maces/cats by now
Attacked Stalin from both sides with maces/cats, eventually vassalized him
Declared on Fred
Finished Shaka's cities
Vassalized Fred
= Victory.

Pyramids, Great Lighthouse and Colossus were key for me.

Conquest Loss - 1755AD

Settled in place, built a city to the north for the deer and cows, and one for the gold and clams NE, and one west to block shaka in. Later one on the island for the bronze and seafood resources.

I think this is where I messed up, too many cities in poor locations early on, caused my tech rate to plummet to near 0%.

Sounds amazingly similar to how my game went.

I only bought Warlords a couple of days ago for 1.50 GBP at a car boot sale, a real bargain. Found out that the WOTM had only 4 days to go, but I had a free day so thought I'd go for it anyway.

Built the N, NE and W cities like yourself. Also won three cities off the Egyptians before around 1000 BC. At this point I was in contention, but the maintenance cost and (I assume) less than ideal city spots ground my tech rate down to 0. So the only thing I could build were swordsmen, my thinking being that at least I could wipe out the Egyptians. However, they soon had longbows and cats, so swordsmen were not enough and I was about 1200 years away from maces and cats myself:blush:

Was popular with Ragnor, Shaka and Stalin virtually throughout. But saw no way of keeping up with them accelarating away from me. Any tips or guidelines on how to manage your economy at Immortal level would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know how anybody can keep up with the AI in tech at this level. (I'm at noble/prince level really, but Immortal seems a HUGE leap up from these).

Anyway, around 1000 AD, managed to get a tech rate of 30-40% and decided to go for mass media and diplomatic win as everybody (except Egypt) loved my tiny kingdom with it's quaint old-fashioned ways:)

Not a hope. Around 1750-ish, from being great friends and donating me techs, Shaka declared war and attacked my maces and crossbows with arty, mech inf and techs. Stalin did the same a few turns later and it was soon game over.

One question: at the end, I got the "You've been conquered message" , then the replay and high score table, followed by a dialog that only had the option to "Exit to main menu". I may have missed something as by now it was 1.30 am and I was tired after a true marathon session. But I don't think I have the final game saved, so can't submit my heroic failure.

Is Warlords different to vanilla or was I just so tired I clicked past some obvious save point? Can I just submit the last autosave if I don't have a final save?

<Added Curiosity> I didn't see a barbarian throughout the game. I thought barbs were enabled - was it rapid AI expansion busting the fog?

Man, is it me or was this game a real bind. It took forever to do anything! I was getting RSI from hitting enter so much. Now I know why I don't play marathon speed games. I only did this one to keep up my 100% submission record for Civ 4 GOTMs (52 submissions now and counting...).

Anyway, I tried to expand quickly, but at 3 cities my economy started to stagnate, and with nothing much to build (I didn't dare attack my enemies on Immortal with no metal), I was forced to build a lot of research.

I kept Buddhist chummy with the Egyptians and the Zulus for ages, but eventually Shaka got bored of me (there has been other wars, but nothing threatening) and decided to wipe me from the planet (with Ragnar providing effective back-up halfway through. Conquest defeat in 1560 AD and never again for a game like this!

At man-erg: if you have autosaves set to every turn, you can just submit the autosave from the turn before your defeat. If not, I guess you could replay from the latest autosave and explain the situation to the moderators...

"Is Warlords different to vanilla or was I just so tired I clicked past some obvious save point? Can I just submit the last autosave if I don't have a final save?"

As I understand it you send in a save of your last game turn, which I now remember is an option to save every turn (might be HOF only option?) ... although I reloaded an auto-save which was 3 turns shy of my inevitable doom (there was literally nothing I could do except possibly die faster) and saved + submitted the last turn.

"Man, is it me or was this game a real bind."

Yes I think so!!! The more turns are really primed for the war-happy players, which has always been a weak spot for me (I rarely win a war unless I am tech advanced). With more turns it means your units can move + do a lot more in a game (if they don't die), before they become outdated by new technology. I've played epic without to much difficulty but marathon (especially at this high a difficulty) was just too challenging, and tedious :) (I knew a good 2 hours before I was defeated that I was going down and there wasn't much I could do!!!)

Marathon Cow quest

After I once again schooled Fred not to start building Appolo (by capturing his cities and destroying improvements), 1 captured city expanded to culture 20% at the first turn after revolt, thus bringing me 2 tiles over dom. limit - and this was the first turn Fred was willing to talk. Let's hope once again noone went for cow or low-quality space. I had smth like 9K+ of base points and 250 more turns to go - at least saved lots of time for sleep.

This one was too much for me. :( It started off reasonably well. I got Thebes, and two other good cities from Rameses with swordsmen, but didn't finish him off because my economy had just about bottomed out by that time. After that, I went for my usual culture game using Thebes, Memphis, & Paris. It was going great for a long time. I was first to Liberalism despite almost crashing my economy, and by about 1500 I had shut down research after switching to Free Speech and maximizing culture. I had eight cities (plus room for one more), including three religions in at least six of them (all with temples), and one new religion to boot. I'd managed to found Islam too, and had built two major religious buildings in both Paris and Memphis and one in Thebes, which was on its way to becoming my exclusive Great Artist farm. By about 1500 I had about 30,000 culture in all three culture cities (a little more in two, a little less in one). I had a defensive pact with Ragnar, with whom my relations were at about +19. I had good relations with Shaka too, and was hoping to put together a three-way DP with which I could ride out the rest of the game by just hitting the enter key. And then I learned some lessons about dealing with Vikings and Zulus.

The first surprise came when Ragnar DOWed me for no apparent reason, despite our great relations score and having a defensive pact with me! :cringe: I thought it was all over then, but played it out and was able to fend off his rather lame sea-born expeditionary force. So just when I was about to breathe a big sigh of relief, Shaka DOWs me from the West. I was able to make peace with Ragnar a few turns later (relations were still at about +15 -- go figure!), but couldn't negotiate a new defensive pact with him because I was already at war with Shaka. :mad: After that I tried to hold out as best I could. No one could be bribed into war with Shaka for anything in my possession. I vacated a weak peripheral city and defended a couple of others hoping to slow him down and negotiate peace with at least my three culture cities still in hand, but he was coming at me with massive stacks of riflemen, cavalry, and cannons against my cavalry and Musketeers. :scared: It was just too much, even with massive drafting & such. I retired the turn before Shaka's troops would have taken Paris. :sad:

It was still a fun game, and maybe taught me some lessons about who not to pick as a best friend and about the limits of the "shut down research" culture strategy on a map full of the more untrustworthy AI opponents.

Top Bottom