News: WOTM18 Saves Available!

Thrallia

Prodigal Staffer
GOTM Staff

WOTM18: Rome

Game Details:

Game settings:
Civilization: Rome (Leader: Augustus Caesar; Traits: Organized, Creative)
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Deity!
Map: Fractal
Climate: Tropical
Sea Level: Medium
Mapsize: Standard
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Epic
Options: None
Victory Conditions: all enabled

Augustus Caesar:
Augustus Caesar is Organized and Creative; starting with fishing and mining. Organized gives you -50% upkeep for civics and double production speed of Courthouses and Lighthouses. Creative gives you +2 :culture: per city and double production speed for theatre, colisseum, and library.

Unique unit: Praetorian(replaces Swordsman)
The Praetorians were the elite members of the Roman Legions, protecting the Emperor himself. They have a strength of 8, rather than the normal 6 of swordsmen, and cost slightly more than a swordsman(45 vs 40 on normal speed...not sure on epic, anyone want to help on that?)

Unique building: Forum(replaces Market)
The Forum replaces the market, costing the same, but adding a bonus to your great people production of 25%

Starting screenshot
This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
  1. Gifted Sages: Your people have learned knowledge of Hunting from a passing shaman.
  2. Hard Workers: One of your tribesmen has volunteered to be a worker(same tile as settler).
  3. Hunter: One of your hunters has taught your warrior to use a bow and arrow(warrior is replaced with an archer).

Challenger Class Equalizers:
  1. Amnesia: Your people are suffering from amnesia and have lost all knowledge of technology.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open on 27 May2008. From that date, you'll be able to get the starting saves at here. Use the same URL to submit your completed entry, which you must do by 22 July 2008.

Civ version

This game MUST be played in Warlords (NOT Beyond the Sword or vanilla Civ), patched to version 2.13, as modified by BtS version 3.13, and with the HOF mod version 2.13.002 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Any Windows players who have not installed BtS will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here

Mac players will require the new 2.13 patch, with a new HoF Mod, HOF-Mac-2.13.001.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

Finally, if you have any problems while playing this game(crashes, etc) please notify either AlanH or myself via pm.

GOTM31, also on deity, relaxed the adventurer conditions, so you can play adventurer if you've never won on deity before, irrespective of whether you have finished in the top half of previous GOTMs. Would the same be the case for this WOTM?

surely you've beaten deity, DynamicSpirit :eek: But if you must play adventurer, I will relax the requirements here as well :)

surely you've beaten deity, DynamicSpirit :eek:

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

But if you must play adventurer, I will relax the requirements here as well :)

Ah thanks Thrallia. I wouldn't normally and I'm still undecided. I'm tempted to play adventurer though because a few test games (more aimed at GOTM32 but I suspect it'll the same for this one) have suggested that adventurer could make the difference between having my only city destroyed by a warmongering civ sometime around 2000BC - before I've even had time to build more than a couple of warriors, and surviving long enough to attack someone and feel that I've actually played the WOTM before being defeated.

well, I'm playing the adventurer save for GOTM32, so...you aren't alone :)

I haven't played any civ other than my turnsets in the SGOTM since a month after I joined the staff :lol:

once upon a time, staff sounded like it may have some intrinsic value, but now ????? :cry: :sad: :crazyeye:

Ah thanks Thrallia. I wouldn't normally and I'm still undecided. I'm tempted to play adventurer though because a few test games (more aimed at GOTM32 but I suspect it'll the same for this one) have suggested that adventurer could make the difference between having my only city destroyed by a warmongering civ sometime around 2000BC - before I've even had time to build more than a couple of warriors, and surviving long enough to attack someone and feel that I've actually played the WOTM before being defeated.
I think that if I am going to die a violent death, then get it over with rather than drag it out ...

But then that may be motiviated more by my limited time to squeeze in these deity games ... :lol:

dV

once upon a time, staff sounded like it may have some intrinsic value, but now ????? :cry: :sad: :crazyeye:

it isn't really related to being staff, its just that with the amount of work I've had to do at school(the perils of being a senior CompSci major, I suppose) has severely cut into my free time. Even during this summer it is interfering, because I am working on my senior project still so I can attempt to either do a bigger one than expected, or get it done early.

Top Bottom