NiGHTS: General Discussion

NiGHTS UPDATE: 8.9d
I'll have Denmark added to the mod later on today should it be released. There will be a few changes to Traits as will - as now each Civ will have 1 Major Trait, and 1 Minor Trait. The Major trait is basically and over-powered ability, while the Minor trait is not quite as powerful. This should make each Civ feel a little bit more unique.

Is anyone planning on buying the Denmark DLC?

No, kinda useless DLC if you ask me. I want new features, not just more civilizations that Im not gonna use anyway. Good idea with the major, minor trait!

EDIT: Whats the changelog for 8.9d? Just Denmark or?

NiGHTS UPDATE: 8.9d

I'll have Denmark added to the mod later on today should it be released. There will be a few changes to Traits as will - as now each Civ will have 1 Major Trait, and 1 Minor Trait. The Major trait is basically and over-powered ability, while the Minor trait is not quite as powerful. This should make each Civ feel a little bit more unique.

Is anyone planning on buying the Denmark DLC?

I might, but I would have to try to steal my sisters credit card, haha.

Denmark? Do they include Sweden and Norway? It took me about 4 months to buy the last download; their DLC stuff is not high on my priority list.;)

Denmark? What's next? Iceland, Rijzan? Hohenstein-Lippe?

Denmark ... *shudders* HELL NO! But it probably has more to do with that I'm from the country next to it and would never dream of playing danish. Plus the "ski infantry" seems like a giant joke.

Does anyone know how to solve the inability to scroll on tech and social screens issue? I delete my cache, I deleted any old versions of Nights, I even deleted all other mods and reinstalled nights but still can't scroll.

Any ideas?

No, kinda useless DLC if you ask me. I want new features, not just more civilizations that Im not gonna use anyway. Good idea with the major, minor trait!

EDIT: Whats the changelog for 8.9d? Just Denmark or?

There's going to be a few other changes to Traits as well, and a little bit of UI work to clean some things up.

lol

Denmark? Do they include Sweden and Norway? It took me about 4 months to buy the last download; their DLC stuff is not high on my priority list.;)

Just Denmark, and a scenario. That beings the total to 24 Civ's now. I can see them going to 25, and then releasing a DLC pack that combines them all.

Denmark? What's next? Iceland, Rijzan? Hohenstein-Lippe?

Canada? :) We did get the Olympics.

Denmark ... *shudders* HELL NO! But it probably has more to do with that I'm from the country next to it and would never dream of playing danish. Plus the "ski infantry" seems like a giant joke.

The unit will definitely look out of place when it launches a surprise attack from a forest 2 plots away and has to get through a desert along the way. I guess it could ski across the dunes.

Does anyone know how to solve the inability to scroll on tech and social screens issue? I delete my cache, I deleted any old versions of Nights, I even deleted all other mods and reinstalled nights but still can't scroll.
Any ideas?

Have you updated your game to the latest patch? These are the types of bugs that crop up if you haven't updated. Also, try manually deleting your cache and ModUserData folder, then verifing your cache on Steam. This helps a lot of the time. Oh, and there currently isn't a scroll bar on the Governments screen - but there will be eventually for those with lower monitor resolutions.

Yes, I have.

I just did as well.

i saw your mod and its great .are you going to add more tech

Thanks bill2505. I plan on eventually expanding the modern/industrial/future era's. v9 is actually going to eliminate these era's and focus on expanding the game from the Ancient-Renaissance era. There will also be an era added that comes before the Ancient era - discovering fire and resources, that sort of thing.

8.9d Released to http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16650

Changelog:
  1. Adds Denmark DLC with the Aggressive/Financial Traits.
  2. Each Civ now has a Major and a Minor Trait.
  3. Major traits are boosted versions of their 8.9c counterparts.
  4. Defensive Trait changed from +2 Science per Strategic Resource to +25% Strength for all Military Units when inside of their own borders. This is mainly for immersion - a strength bonus within their own borders fits better with the Defensive Trait imho than the bonus given in v8.9c.
  5. Minor UI tweak for the loading screen when you start a game after choosing your Civ.

I'll be releasing another update this weekend. It will include mainly balance fixes regarding building yields and maintenance as the AI still sometimes struggles with keeping it's economy afloat. All yields will be toned down so that later buildings/improvements feel more substantial in comparison to early-era buildings/improvements.

Thanks bill2505. I plan on eventually expanding the modern/industrial/future era's. v9 is actually going to eliminate these era's and focus on expanding the game from the Ancient-Renaissance era. There will also be an era added that comes before the Ancient era - discovering fire and resources, that sort of thing.

Cool! Could you elaborate further regarding the stone age or whatever it will be called? As it is now, you sorta sit around with your one city waiting to build a settler, exploring a bit with your warrior and maybe a scout. Will this be expanded?

I would suggest expanding the bronze age and iron age a bit.

I really don't think "discovering fire" is within the scope of the game. The game starts with cities which implies a certain level of organization that simply doesn't exist at the tribal level you're talking about when fire was discovered.

Also the later stages of the game are easily the most fun for me, so you can count me as one person who'll never install v9 of the game.

Cool! Could you elaborate further regarding the stone age or whatever it will be called? As it is now, you sorta sit around with your one city waiting to build a settler, exploring a bit with your warrior and maybe a scout. Will this be expanded?

I would suggest expanding the bronze age and iron age a bit.

I've yet to decide if there will be full-blown pre-ancient era tech. There will definately be more of a focus on early gameplay - settling, exploring, new units, etc. Units themselves will not become obsolete as quickly, either. That's not to say the AI will be spamming warriors for the first 40 turns - it's more along the lines of new units with unique abilities that are strong against other new units.

This will be sort of like how spearman are good against horseman. Currently Longswordsmen trump other early units, but now there will be new units that, while perhaps weak against some units, will be expecially strong against Longswordsmen. There will be a far greater variety of units leading up to the first gunpowder units, which will come around the Industrial Revolution and these gunpowder units will end up being the strongest units in v9.

Basically, I'd like you to be able to field an expanding army where earlier units still have certain strengths and are worth keeping around instead of just having 10 of whatever the strongest unit is at a certain point in the game. This will all tie in with the more medieval/renaissance flair I'm shooting for in v9. Again, the industrial/modern/future ages will be back in future updates, and when they are, they will also be greatly expanded - as opposed to the 20 or so techs that comprise these era's in the base game.

Dont listen to the naysayers Markus!

:) - Naysayers still raise good points. I realize there are people that prefer the later era's and the buildings/units associated with them. v9 will be a precursor to much larger industrial/modern/future era. Hopefully they decide to stick around and try v9 as some of the new base systems like Guilds and how Culture works will carry over into later era's and I'll need feedback on that.

But regardless, thanks for the support. :) This started out as a small mod focused on changing aspects of the base game I wasn't pleased with purely for personal use, and now it's neat to see how people have taken to various aspects of it - to what works, what doesn't work - and in turn, given great feedback. As long as there's an audience, I'll keep working on it. Even if that audience ends up being only me. :crazyeye:

I really don't think "discovering fire" is within the scope of the game. The game starts with cities which implies a certain level of organization that simply doesn't exist at the tribal level you're talking about when fire was discovered.

Also the later stages of the game are easily the most fun for me, so you can count me as one person who'll never install v9 of the game.

A bit of failed sarcasm on my part, I suppose. :) What I was trying to get across was that the early-mid era's are getting greatly expanded in everything from units to buildings, leading up to the Industrial Revolution/Industrialization => which will herald in the beginning of a future update dedicated to greatly expanding the Industrial/Modern/Future era's. And no, there won't ever be a Fire Tech that you discover. There will most likely be more primitive techs than there are now, however.

Canada? We did get the Olympics.

Hell yes ^.^

- Naysayers still raise good points. I realize there are people that prefer the later era's and the buildings/units associated with them. v9 will be a precursor to much larger industrial/modern/future era. Hopefully they decide to stick around and try v9 as some of the new base systems like Guilds and how Culture works will carry over into later era's and I'll need feedback on that.

Why don't you just name v9 - v10 ;P It doesn't matter much, but such a huge update wouldn't just upgrade it's patch number by one, for instance, WoW ^^

Anyways, about the era's. Sounds great! Why don't you include the Renaissance Era in the larger eras? I'm just asking this because of that era's Age of Enlightenment. Quite a lot happened during that era, anyways.

Hell yes ^.^

Why don't you just name v9 - v10 ;P It doesn't matter much, but such a huge update wouldn't just upgrade it's patch number by one, for instance, WoW ^^

Anyways, about the era's. Sounds great! Why don't you include the Renaissance Era in the larger eras? I'm just asking this because of that era's Age of Enlightenment. Quite a lot happened during that era, anyways.

I'm avoiding the renaming purely because it will be a little while before the next major version comes out and there will be a variety of frequent updates to 8.9 in the coming days - and I don't really want to get up to v15 by next week. This also helps keep continuity a bit when I release v9 to the ModBrowser. The last version on there was v8 and I don't want people thinking they missed any of the substantial updates.

Currently I'm debating replacing the onset of Era's through Tech's with the onset of Government's. By having specific Tech's, (named after Governments), unlock Governments, rather than specific Era's, there will be more incentive to weave your way through the Tech Pyramid rather than just through unlocking era by era and always going for the next cheapest Tech.

Era's can also present the problem of sometimes being inaccurate. This is especially evident in vanilla CIV V where I've found it common to have tanks battling it out in 1500. In these instances, all era's do is hurt the overall immersion factor that they are supposed to add to the game in the first place. I think, in general, a CIV gamer knows based on the year alone when he is in the Medieval Era and doesn't need to be told this with a fancy graphic.

What are people's thoughts on this? I could introduce some new game mechanics if I take this route. For instance, currently entering the Classical Era stops Barbarians from spawning. Conversely, I could have Feudalism stop Barbarians from spawning. Monarchy, Theocracy, Oligarchy, etc - wouldn't stop Barbarians. There are numerous things like this I could add that would help each Government feel even more unique.

But to answer your question, the Renaissance is definitely getting expanded and will probably make up one of the larger portions of the game. The Renaissance Era will also most likely feature the most Science enhancements/buildings/improvements whereas early Era's will focus on Food, and then Gold and Production.

The Danish units, (Berserker/Ski Infantry), had incorrect XML codes in the last update and weren't generating unrest. For some reason the Berserker had a strength of 32 - so something messed up there along the way. I've corrected this in a small update just released - and the Berserker unit is no longer Berserk.

There was a civ 4 mod Quot Capita that had expanded early eras but to my mind it is still a question of balance. Whether you are playing with spearmen or tanks you are always trying to progress better or faster than your opponents to achieve whatever goals you set for yourself. The early game is always going to be more exploratory as you build in your first city what best suits your starting position. With the last versions the AI doesn't seem to expand as fast so I don't have to worry about beating them at that game but they still do like to attack so the game remains competitive and engaging.

By the way one game I started I had an aggressive AI and I didn't realize that archers make warriors obsolete and I hadn't researched spearmen so I had the ability to take the city (the health bar was all the way down) but no unit to enter the city.(I ended the game but perhaps I could have taken the city with a scout?)

I'm not wedded to a certain time period, so if you go in the direction you indicate I'm sure you'll be doing a :goodjob:

INSTALLATION

Delete the entire Civ5 cache folder (not just it's contents).
C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache
C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData
Place the download in your Mods folder, load Civ V and click the Install button in the Mod Browser.
C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
+ langage to use : english

Top Bottom