No annoying popups?

Zhahz

PC Gamer
...Um, I'll have to disagree with that.

It looks like popping into the diplo screen to talk to AI leaders who want to talk is not optional and BOOM just happens.

I would much prefer it be a notification option or something you must deal with before ending your turn (like how if you space production in a city the "end turn" button turns into a "city need production" button).

It'd be interesting if it was a notification icon and you could just blow them off and take a diplo hit but this probably would hose some players. You'd get a notification item that says "Elizabeth is interested in trading, click here to chat with her" and could just ignore her and suffer, or click and THEN get to the diplo/leader screen whenever you want to talk during your turn.

One of the things that annoys me most in civ IV is AI leaders wanting to talk to me, constantly asking for open borders after I've said no 20 times, wanting my world map when I've said no repeatedly, etc. I'll be happily clicking along, hitting next turn to fly thru event-free turns, when suddenly a leader pops up in between clicks and I accidentally agree to something. My fault, but damn it's annoying that leaders just pop in like that.

And it's kind of odd that with their emphasis on notification and player choice about when to react to things that leaders will still pop onto your screen with no choice about when it happens. :/

It should still be an improvement, though. Gotta say I'm getting more and more annoyed with the popups in Civ4, now that I know they won't be there in Civ5...

i think the thing is you cant really postpone the contact moment but after that it should indeed be possible to ignore it but then again so could the AI to you then so that might cause allot of problems.

I didn't thought about it, but yeah... it's kinda wierd that they did all that work on the UI and didn't apply those ideas for diplomatic screen. A shame!

Yeah I'm surprised that they removed the "auto pick your next research" and "auto pick your next city build" but they left the auto diplomatic screen pop up.

I guess they wanted to insure that you won't miss interacting with new nations.

I wonder if they weren't able to implement a means to force you to check a side info message before you end your turn.

I miss the 'not right now' option from Civ III.

Didn't they have an option to tell an AI to stop bothering you in Civ 4? Or maybe that was one of the mods I played... anyway, they should have that in Civ 5.

I can see a few other reasons why they might have kept the force popup.

Like: the AI's offer is only good for the particular game-state when it occurs.

If you could do it at any time in your turn, you could see that they were offering you peace, then destroy a bunch more of your units (leaving your stuff dangerously over-extended) and then accept the peace message.

They want to be able to check *once* at the start of your turn if any AI wants to initiate diplomacy with you with a particular offer based on that game-state, rather than have to constantly recheck the gamestate or risk an offer that stops making sense by the time you open the diplomacy window.

I think that the problem is that the AI is contacting us during their turn and could very well need the response to continue with their turn.

My point was that it would disrupt me more. And it will.

They're more disruptive because you can no longer see a tiny by of the main screen in the background, with which you can't interact?

Oooookay.

Obviously whatever disrupts you personally disrupts you, but I cannot understand how most players would find the fullscreen Civ5 version any more disruptive than the Civ4 version.

They're more disruptive because you can no longer see a tiny by of the main screen in the background, with which you can't interact?

Oooookay.

Obviously whatever disrupts you personally disrupts you, but I cannot understand how most players would find the fullscreen Civ5 version any more disruptive than the Civ4 version.

Sure is tiny:

http://imgur.com/I2bSi.jpg

I'd rather remain in the game than be whisked away in a fantasy 3d background that has nothing to do with anything. It'll be pretty for a while, but it will get old real quick.

EDIT: Not to say Civ 4 wasn't annoying. It sure as hell was. But it's slightly better than Civ 5. And only for the diplomacy screen, all other popups have been eliminated in Civ 5 so overall it's much better.

I can see one problem with the suggestion to move Diplo popups to the notification area. Generally the notifications are things the player gets during his/her turn. However when another leader wishes to speak to you, it's during their turn.

Your response to their request might be important to them while it's still their turn.

Top Bottom