No cd

Kelephant

Chieftain
I'm a college student and my two majors are economics and IT. I have to work alot on my pc for school and I play civilization to blow off some steam. Is it possible to play the game without a cd? A crack can be a possibility but I wasn't sure if that was legal, eventhough I have the game. My CIV IV is the version that came with the chronicles gift box.

There are programs usually called something virtual cd that make a copy to the computer that can be read like a disc and most license agreements allow you to make a backup copy but i haven't read civ4s so it mightn't be the same. Cracks are usually illegal though.

You can create "image" of the disc, and open it with a program called DaemonTools. I'm not sure if you will need no-CD patch/crack then, but if yes, you can obtain one safely from gamecopyworld or something like, after you have confirmed that you own the game.

I installed the VCD program and made a copy of the disc, but at the startup I still have the error that the cd is not found. How do I fix that? Thanks.

some cds have copy protection and you just won't be able to run the vcd

I hate to be the policeman here but thats illegal.

You are allowed to make a duplicate of your cd for use at home, by that it means cd --> cd and dvd --> dvd.

You are Not allowed to use a virtual drive or otherwise crack the .exe file - that is a breach on the copyright.

Only exception is if the publisher has made a nocd patch available.

As with a lot of things that aren't legal but don't really hurt anyone, it's highly unlikely that anyone would bother you if you download a cracked version for personal use, used GameJackal or some other cracking software, or whatever. They would have a hard time convincing anyone that you're worth prosecuting even if they found out, since you did buy the game and aren't cutting in to their profits. Obviously if you're stealing the software things are different (and that's not only illegal but also, I think, morally wrong as well).

If you're worried about the long arm of the law invading your bedroom (or office?), there's still a totally legal way to do what you want. If you don't have Warlords, you can buy Warlords from direct2drive.com. You won't need to use the original game CD anymore once you install the direct2drive version. That's what I did, and I've been very happy with this solution.

Top Bottom