No sound during diplomacy.

This guy solved his: http://steamcommunity.com/app/3910/discussions/0/1473095331503895056/

"I fixed this by downloading this ---> http://www.indirectsound.com/

Put the two files in the zip in the "Conquests" folder. I've used this for a lot of older games to enable direct sound in Win 10. In this case it seems to fix a channel issue in the game under Win 10 recent update where sounds are limited to just 2 channels. Putting this in the directory allows multiple channels again so that you can hear diplo music and sound effects without them cutting out due to having no open channel to go in to."

Thanks! I'll be sure to give that a try.

Update: That worked perfectly :goodjob:

Last edited:
Hi,

Running Windows 10 on my pc and Windows 8 on a laptop, I also had the diplo-sound problem on both

I tried to follow the solution given in this post, but then I did have no sound at all in the game :sad:
I also modified the registry as explain there: http://www.indirectsound.com/registryIssues.html
Same result :(

I fixed it by first installing a directX update that can be found here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

Please note that:

1 - during the update setup, the folder requested is only a temporary folder where the update will extract files. You then have to browse manually to this folder to launch the setup
2 - even after the update, you still have to setup the 2 files indicated in this post in the conquests folder

Hope that it can help :)

Any other ideas guys? I have my files in the conquest folder. I also updated DirectX. I never lost my other music, just don't have diplomacy music. Its Win 10

Hi,

Running Windows 10 on my pc and Windows 8 on a laptop, I also had the diplo-sound problem on both

I tried to follow the solution given in this post, but then I did have no sound at all in the game :sad:
I also modified the registry as explain there: http://www.indirectsound.com/registryIssues.html

Please note that:

1 - during the update setup, the folder requested is only a temporary folder where the update will extract files. You then have to browse manually to this folder to launch the setup
2 - even after the update, you still have to setup the 2 files indicated in this post in the conquests folder

this worked for me - I installed both things and then it worked on my win10 laptop.
Thankyous!

Hi,

Please note that:

Gold. Worked for me, too.

Hi,

Please note that:

A few questions since this did not work for me: do i need to tell DirectX to put these folders in the conquests file? Or what file?
And then once they are there, i find the folder that says STARTUP correct? Then i put the dsound.dll files also in the conquests file.

I did that but it didn't work. What went wrong??? Not only is my diplomacy music still gone but ALL sounds are now gone. (Sounds came back after deleting the dsound files) Any help is much appreciated, even guesses are welcome!

Hi Civilizationyeaah,

1 - Create somewhere on your pc a temporary folder. Eg. C:\Temp_DX
2 - download the file that I indicated, execute it and when asked extract the stuff in the folder created at previous step
3 - Navigate to the temporary folder, find DXSETUP.exe , launch it and setup
4 - Once your done follow instructions given by Nathiri on first page of this tread.
By the way you can now delet the temporar folder, you don't need it anymore

hope it's clearer and will help you :)

This guy solved his: http://steamcommunity.com/app/3910/discussions/0/1473095331503895056/

"I fixed this by downloading this ---> http://www.indirectsound.com/

Put the two files in the zip in the "Conquests" folder. I've used this for a lot of older games to enable direct sound in Win 10. In this case it seems to fix a channel issue in the game under Win 10 recent update where sounds are limited to just 2 channels. Putting this in the directory allows multiple channels again so that you can hear diplo music and sound effects without them cutting out due to having no open channel to go in to."
Thanks, this solved my problem!

Hey there! I need your help.

1. So i downloaded this http://www.indirectsound.com/ and put this two files in the conquests folder -> result: no sounds at all
2. So i installed directX as mentioned from lethaltoto -> result: no sounds at all
3. So i looked in the registery and the CLSID folder is missing, so i dont know what to change in the registery

can anyone help me?

Maybe its because im running Windows 11. I bought the game on steam

Thanks everyone!

Hi Barkan96,

Didn't try Civ3 under W11 for now so I can't be sure to what's happening
On step 3 You said that the CLSID is missing in your registry.
If so, it's stated in the link I gave that in this case you have to create it, and then do the same that if it was a modify.

Hey all,

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I can't seem to fix this issue despite trying everything in this thread. I've:
  1. Installed dsound.dll into Civ3/Conquests
  2. Done the registry changes both under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  3. Ran the DirectX installers from both the IndirectSound home page (didn't do anything because I already had a newer version installed or something, apparently) and the one linked by lethaltoto
  4. Installed the VS 2010 Redistributables linked by mmwave in the pinned thread
and still no dice.

The only thing that seemed to make any difference was changing the sample rate under "Default Format" in the Speaker Properties in the Sound settings. If I did that while the diplomacy menu was already up, then refocusing on / tabbing back into Civ3 would fix the music, but it would immediately break again once I left the diplo screen and opened a new one.

Running on Windows 10 build 19045.3086 and I use Realtek audio, but I don't think there's any updates to be had for drivers for the latter. Anyone know anything else I could try? Just installing dsound.dll to Civ3 on my [slightly older] laptop seemed to have worked fine, so I have no clue why it's suddenly not working here. I guess I could just move Civ3 back to my laptop and use Steam's streaming feature to play if I'm really desperate, but I'm still hoping there's a solution out there for me lol

Last edited:
Hi 1230james,

Windows 10 last build is 19045.3155, so I strongly suggest you to check for optionnal downloads in your windows update to grab the last version
By the way, double check if there is any driver/firmware updates available in windows update. If so, install them all

You also mentionned that you put the dsound.dll in the conquest folder, did you also put the dsound.ini with it ?

Hi 1230james,

Windows 10 last build is 19045.3155, so I strongly suggest you to check for optionnal downloads in your windows update to grab the last version
By the way, double check if there is any driver/firmware updates available in windows update. If so, install them all

You also mentionned that you put the dsound.dll in the conquest folder, did you also put the dsound.ini with it ?
Thanks for the quick response! I'll go peek at the updates available to me again and see if anything changes.

Yes, dsound.ini is in the same directory. dsound.log gets created / updated every time I launch Civ3, but curiously, the log doesn't mention anything about the config file being loaded despite the readme suggesting that it should say something. I haven't made any changes to the ini file, so if there's something I was supposed to do with it, then I probably completely missed it.

Curious that you said the log file was empty, it suggests indirect sound isn't able to find the civ 3 process and hook it at all. I didn't need to do the registry thing, having dsound.dll in the Conquests folder (or PTW or Vanilla folders if you're using those) was enough. I have also never seen it break with any windows update.

So thinking of things that might interfere, do you have Civ 3 installed in Program Files? And also, do you have any windows compatibility modes enabled on Conquests.exe? I know the GOG release defaults to XP compatibility which is quite unnecessary.

For example, the start of my dsound.log file looks like this, then there's a whole bunch of stuff underneath.
[[============================================================]]
This file is created every time that IndirectSound is loaded

IndirectSound was loaded dynamically by a call to LoadLibrary()
The IndirectSound library being loaded is located at D:\Firaxis\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\DSOUND.dll
Version -- 0.20
The process loading IndirectSound is located at D:\Firaxis\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Civ3Conquests.exe
Product Name -- Civ3Conquests
Product Version -- 1.21
File Description -- Civ3Conquests
File Version -- 1, 21, 0, 0
Initializing User Settings

Curious that you said the log file was empty, it suggests indirect sound isn't able to find the civ 3 process and hook it at all. I didn't need to do the registry thing, having dsound.dll in the Conquests folder (or PTW or Vanilla folders if you're using those) was enough. I have also never seen it break with any windows update.

So thinking of things that might interfere, do you have Civ 3 installed in Program Files? And also, do you have any windows compatibility modes enabled on Conquests.exe? I know the GOG release defaults to XP compatibility which is quite unnecessary.

For example, the start of my dsound.log file looks like this, then there's a whole bunch of stuff underneath.

The IndirectSound library being loaded is located at D:\Firaxis\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\DSOUND.dll
Version -- 0.20
The process loading IndirectSound is located at D:\Firaxis\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Civ3Conquests.exe
Product Name -- Civ3Conquests
Product Version -- 1.21
File Description -- Civ3Conquests
File Version -- 1, 21, 0, 0
Initializing User Settings
Sorry for the late reply; checking on this thread slipped my mind for a bit

I have Civ3 on Steam, and my Steam directory sits right at the top in my C drive (i.e. Civ3 lives at C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete).

Compatibility mode isn't enabled.

Every time I launch and close the game, dsound.log gets updated to look like:
Spoiler Spoiler for brevity :

The IndirectSound library being loaded is located at C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete\Conquests\DSOUND.dll
Version -- 0.20
The process loading IndirectSound is located at C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Civ3Conquests.exe
Product Name -- Civ3Complete
Product Version -- 1.22
File Description -- Civ3Complete
File Version -- 1.22
IndirectSound is being unloaded because the process is terminating

dsound.ini sits in the same directory as dsound.dll and I haven't made any changes to it, I think, so I'm not sure why it's not really doing anything.

Still hoping to get this to work. I tried the Steam remote play feature and it doesn't work that great for me, so I've decided to rule that out as a workaround. If anyone can offer some possible solutions or things to look for, that'd be much appreciated, even if I zone out for a few weeks lol. Thanks, y'all

I'm still going down the route of 'my machine works, yours doesn't, what have I got that you haven't?'. The challenge of course is that I mess around with a lot of retro games, and have collected quite a few old compatibility aids over the years, so figuring out what Civ 3 in particular wants could be a challenge. I'm wondering if a clean Windows 11 install is missing something that an older computer that's been upgraded would have.

Here are a few other things I've got enabled that you could mess around with:
-My speakers are using Realtek High Definition Audio like yours, they are set as the 'default' device and the rate is 24 bit, 48000hz (unlikely that you'd have this different but you did mention messing with the bit rate before).
-In control panel, there's a 'turn windows features on and off' menu, under the 'legacy components' tab I have direct play enabled. That's meant to be for networking, but you never know!
-I've got the basic klite codec pack installed as well although again, that really shouldn't have any impact here.
EDIT -another thing to check if you're on Windows 11 N is if you've got the 'media feature pack' under the 'add optional features' menu. I didn't need to do this with my upgraded Windows 11 from a full Windows 10 version.

-And finally, I've amassed a large number of 'visual c++ redistributables', starting from 2005 all the way through to the current '2015-2022' version. Maybe Civ III wants another one beyond the 2010 version indirect sound is expecting. You can see which ones you've got in 'add or remove programs'.

Last edited:
I have a lot of music/sound bugs for civ3 in Linux/wine (other than that, the rest of the game works fine).

Has anyone fixed music related bugs under linux (via wine)?

Top Bottom