non-aggression pacts & relations

Shamira

Chieftain
I've played several games now where someone in the "friendly" category randomly backstabs me. This last game it looked like even though I signed a non-aggression pact that the Khazad attacked me despite being friendly because the Clan of Embers paid them off, and then Basium/Logos guy (the blue nation) attacked me despite both being at peace with me for 300+ turns and almost no conflict. I share capital space with them and I didn't see anyone convince them to so it's basically game over at that point unless all my top units are in the capital.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? I am using the last release of MNAI without the unofficial patch and gonna update to that to see if it breaks my game or not, somehow missed it last I looked here for the mod.

Non aggression pacts come from a diplomacy mod that Tholal integrated with MNAI that sadly some parts of it just don't work very well at all IMO. In practice I'm not sure what the non aggression pacts are really supposed to do as I've not done any hard looks at that part of the code but they certainly seem to not be worth bothering with in my experience as like you pointed out the AI just ends up breaking them at the drop of a hat anyway. I hate to say it because there are some parts of that diplomacy mod merge I really like but Tholal probably shouldn't have done the merge since it's lead to a lot of different bugs/weird issues that keep popping up tied to that mod.

I thought I recalled them from vanilla civ 4? How do I prevent war or know when an ally is going to turn on it?

I've had non aggression pacts broken the next turn but was told that was working as designed.

I was pretty positive that they were unbreakable for 20 turns at some point; but that may have been in the base game. I think they *should be* unbreakable for a certain amount of turns, then after that the risk is yours

I think the only unbreakable pact is a ceasefire, and IIRC, it's for 10 turns. Really, truly, the only way to prevent war is to be so powerful that your rivals wouldn't dare.

Ceasefire is not actually a pact it's just means you are not at war anymore. Peace treaty is an unbreakable pact and it lasts for 10 turns. You can tell if you have a peace treaty by looking in the bottom right corner and seeing if you have a peace icon (similar to the peace symbol from the 1970's) beside that civilization's name.

Ceasefire is not actually a pact it's just means you are not at war anymore. Peace treaty is an unbreakable pact and it lasts for 10 turns. You can tell if you have a peace treaty by looking in the bottom right corner and seeing if you have a peace icon (similar to the peace symbol from the 1970's) beside that civilization's name.
Oops. Thanks for the correction!

Top Bottom