Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm non-American, I'd vote for another Republican

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Camikaze

Administrator
Administrator
For a lot of non-Americans, the US election is one of the more important elections that we can't vote in. Who the president is actually has an impact on the rest of the world. It's not just that what's important in the US is important for the world, it's also that the particular areas of US politics which the president has a greater degree of influence over tend to be more international in nature.

So with that in mind, I'm interested in discussing who the non-Americans of CFC would like to see as president, or more generally what they think of the US presidential candidates. If you are American, feel free to put yourself in the shoes of a non-American (or if you think non-American opinions on this topics are irrelevant, feel free not to care).

I'd predict that a Democrat would be far more popular internationally than domestically - I doubt it there would be anywhere near a 50-50 split of opinion.

Of the Democrats, personally, and perhaps just projecting from my own opinions, I suspect Bernie Sanders is not as popular with the left outside of the US as he is within the US. The 'working families' platitudes and motherhood statements have been absolutely done to death in Australia, and are just reminiscent of the worst aspects of Gillard's populism, which really did her no favours.

More broadly, I think his appeal relates more to domestic issues. For example, given I see myself as a generally nice person, I'd like to see a solution to the civil rights issues in America, but on the grand scale of things, it's really not something I'd place priority on compared to issues which actually do impact on me more directly. It's an intellectual concern, but not something I have an investment in anymore than civil rights issues in other parts of the world. Similarly, there are things I care about a great deal more than the minimum wage in the US. These types of concerns are at the core of Sanders' appeal, so he's probably not going to appeal to foreigners as much. (There's also the really annoying and cultish astroturfing that infests reddit, which is a real put off more than one year out from an election that I only have a voyeuristic interest in).

Clinton, on the other hand, does have international appeal. As much as some people might like to paint her time as Secretary of State as unsuccessful, I think it's fair to say that the rest of the world largely saw it as a huge success. She is undoubtedly the best placed of the candidates to deal with the international community, in the same way that Obama has. She's also probably the 'safe pair of hands' candidate in terms of the global economy.

International compatibility is where a lot of the Republican candidates fall down from an international perspective. Their policies (such as on climate change) could have a dramatic international effect, and not for the better. Even conservative leaders around the world will be crossing their fingers that they don't have to deal with an overly nationalistic Republican. I also think that there's not an adequate realisation by many Americans that the choice between the US and China is quite a live question for many countries, Australia included. If Trump were to become president, for example, I think that could genuinely result in a pivot from the US to China for Australia - we'd opt for the saner ally. In the post-Bush world, the standing of the US with its allies is contingent on precisely the type of internationally compatible diplomacy that Obama has practiced so well. It shouldn't be assumed that the US would be able to maintain its unquestioned leadership position amongst Western powers if it's presenting opinions that the rest of the West do not agree with.

But assuming that amongst the Republicans there's a lesser evil, I suppose it would have to be the candidate that is the least bombastic on issues like Iran and terrorism. I guess that's Kasich.

Thoughts?

Bernie Sanders. He has exactly opossite political opinion than me but he seems as only honest and sane candidate. I do not follow US elections closely.

Why do you value honesty in a US presidential candidate? I value it generally from the perspective of inclining towards someone who is more honest, but the US president's honesty doesn't seem so relevant outside of the US. I'm certainly not saying Sanders is a fool, but isn't it better for the international community if the US is led by a clever liar rather than an honest fool?

Why do you value honesty in a US presidential candidate? I value it generally from the perspective of inclining towards someone who is more honest, but the US president's honesty doesn't seem so relevant outside of the US. I'm certainly not saying Sanders is a fool, but isn't it better for the international community if the US is led by a clever liar rather than an honest fool?

The US has been led by hawks for a long procession of years. It got us where we now are, ie the brink of global economic collapse, and/or world war.

Being a hawk isn't the same as being a liar, though. The latter might be a prerequisite for the former, but not all liars will be hawks. Not wanting a hawk seems a separate issue.

For me its entry qualification. If I believe that candidate is honest its much easier to judge his plans and previous achievements. If I cant believe in leader than I cannot be led. I cannot believe in his plans and that he will actually enforce them.

Being a hawk isn't the same as being a liar, though. The latter might be a prerequisite for the former, but not all liars will be hawks. Not wanting a hawk seems a separate issue.
Here people mostly believe that its US establishment which is doing politics doesnt matter candidate so its hawkish by default. So the change can come just from outsider candidate (realy not from Clinton or Bush). Well Obama wasnt hawk, he was just obvious liar. Betting on him demonstrated that betting on liar isnt way how to change things.

Bernie seems the only remotely sane one of the relatively major players, so I went for him. If I'm being fair though, when it comes down to the election though, he's not gonna be there, so I guess I'd have to vote Hillary. She's pretty right wing, but the alternative is even worse. I can't think of much more certain to destabilise the world further than a Republican president in America.

I have to admit though, things like dishonesty don't really bother me - I mean, they're politicians, they're all corrupt liars, so why pick out individual ones to criticise for it?

And if I support Hillary but would vote for Trump? What should I say in the OP's poll?

(If you're going to ask why, it's because the chaos he creates amuses me and I have no faith in his ability to put his ideas into action.)

I think that counts as support of Trump. It's entirely possible that non-Americans (or even Americans) would support a particular candidate because they think that would be bad for America, and perhaps therefore good for some other country.
For me its entry qualification. If I believe that candidate is honest its much easier to judge his plans and previous achievements. If I cant believe in leader than I cannot be led. I cannot believe in his plans and that he will actually enforce them.
It seems to me, though, that the promises that the US presidential candidates make are to their constituents, not the international community. What particular promises, plans, or policy areas are you particularly concerned about the candidates being honest about?

I think the value of honesty is also quite dependent upon the policies a candidate is to be honest about. If Trump were to win, I'd certainly hope he's been deliberately lying.

Even though the dislike of many Americans and Non-Americans for Donald Trump is understandable, he is arguably the most European candidate in the race. He doesn't seem to bother much with taxes, guns or abortions like other American republicans but instead he focuses on immigration, minorities and national identity very much like a European right winger. (And I don't like those :mad:)

It seems to me, though, that the promises that the US presidential candidates make are to their constituents, not the international community. What particular promises, plans, or policy areas are you particularly concerned about the candidates being honest about?

I think the value of honesty is also quite dependent upon the policies a candidate is to be honest about. If Trump were to win, I'd certainly hope he's been deliberately lying.
Yes there are limits. This why I am looking for honest and sane candidates. In case of honest insane guy such limit would be hit.

I realy do not care about policy areas specifically with maybe exception of security issues. If will be China, Russia and USA prosperous and stay where they are its good for everybody.

I admit that I am idealist. I wish honesty, fair play, courtesy, and rational discourse to every country. I believe that its allways best way how to govern country in long-term. I believe that achieving things simpler by lies and cheating has destructive ends.

Hillary is an evil Version of Angela Merkel, don't has any positions of her own and just says what she needs to say to get more power.

Donald Trump is a great choice if you want to see the world burned to ashes. As are the religious candidates.

I'd probably vote for Sanders, although he's a bit of a weakling. Still don't understand why he would let himself be bullied into answering the question "Do black lives matter or do all lives matter?" with "Black Lives Matter!" without at least talking some sense into people though.

And if I support Hillary but would vote for Trump? What should I say in the OP's poll?

(If you're going to ask why, it's because the chaos he creates amuses me and I have no faith in his ability to put his ideas into action.)

You dont support Hillary if you are going to vote for Trump. Its really simple.

I like Sanders and his views even though I just learned about him becouse of this campain but I am not sure he has enough connections and other means to put anything into practise. He seem to be too much on his own to be able get something done. So I would go with Clinton cause she seem to be pretty smart and knows what it takes: probably best choice for US...

As far as the Republicans go, Trump is far from the worst. He's a loony sure, but he's more of an unpleasant loony than a genuinely dangerous one, unlike many of his compatriots.

Top Bottom