non-fantasy d'haran empire mod idea

callum

Chieftain
as the (somewhat complicated) title describes it's nothing more then an idea for the addition of 1 new civilization... which is the reason for me to post this. i will also explain further down in this post why it should be non-fantasy and how i think its possible (with the empire's name being taken from a high fantasy book)

this post is kinda long. sorry for that

(for those who don't know what the d'haran empire is, go read the sword of truth series by terry goodkind or find its wiki)

let me explain the motivation for this post first:
i see all these cool mod-packs being created with full blown fantasy worlds with dragons, gods, elves and magic and stuff.. which is great! though the thing is: I'm still enjoying this game as it is.. I'm not ready to play those variations of CIV 4 yet since i'd like to keep them till a time comes i need some freshness to keep me playing.

there is one thing that bothers me thought!
and that is the fact i can only choose from existing earth civilizations. there is no way to create my own civilization with its own leader and traits that never existed... i mean: what would be the chance of the name of a new civilization in an unpopulated new world to be anything close to those we know/have known on this planet. (with the native American empire being the worst example).

i simply like a new non earth existing civilization to be added to CIV 4 bts.. but i simply dont have the energy to get into modding after i get home at night from work when i just like to relax and play this game a little. so with this post i basically hope to inspire someone to do the hard work for me and the rest of this community.. and help me out with this idea to be made into something playable.

like this:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7072
(havent tested it, but looks great)

so to the point:
i choose the d'haran empire because this civilization could blended into the existing game perfectly!

as the civilization exists in the book, its a world with quite some mages (not as many as there used to be)... There is a full blown war going on between the old and new world. at some point the good guy found out he is the son of a guy who used to be the ruler of the d'haran empire. after he died, the main (good) character, richard rahl becomes the new ruler.. at some point he finds a country where ungifted people live (the pillars of creation) the offspring of these people cant be touched by magic, for them it simply doesn't exist.

soooo: imagine a world, a couple of generations after richard and kahlan passed away.. their children are the new heirs to the throne and the pillars of creation (which where freed from their land) reproduced... basically wiping out anything related to magic, or the use of it, which was rare already.. the war is long since over and the d'haran empire rules all.. midland, hartland, and the new world are all united under one banner.

from this point the civlization would be suitable to be played in civ 4 bts...

leader: lord Rahl (as a common un-named character). previous leaders are: Alric Rahl (first Rahl), Dretan Rahl, Panis Rahl and Richard Rahl (the current one).. there also is a prophet called: Nathan Rahl.. but none could be the leader in this version of the d'haran empire since most are long since gone when this 'scenario takes palace'. the name can be changed anyway... id take Callum Rahl for example.. or call it 'creator of this mod's nickname' rahl (for some credits)

empires name: (is obvious) D'Haran Empire
a new religion could be: mysticism. or even better (lore-wise) 'the bond' (to those loyal to lord rahl). (i know this is not necessary but it would still be nice to contain some level of ex magic-ness to this civ/the world of civilization)
the UU could be a deathsquad, or some low fantasy priest type......
unique building could be a place of worship for prayer to lord Rahl
traits: spiritual (as a left over from his/her magic ancesters) and some other (organised would be nice :) but can also see charismatic or aggressive)

I've compiled a list of citys:

People's Palace (capital of the d'haran empire)
Aydindril (location wizards tower/keep)
Tamarang
Altur'Rang (home town jagang)
Sandilar
Bandakar (pillars of light)
Ebinissa
King's port
Fairfield
Gretton
Tanimura (palace of the prophets)
Tristen

lands/rivers/objects.. that could be city names
Dammar (river)
Drum (river)
Gillanme (name hall)
Perdition (towers of..)
Anderith (land)
Grennidon (land)
Jara (land)
Shahar (legend city)

random small citys...
Winstead
South haven
Lynford
Choora
Toscla
ConeyCrossing
Hawton
Horner's Mill
Northwick
Renwold
Witherton
Westbrook
Sparlville

note: this list could only be possible to be (kinda) correct to the lore, if one day richard would really unite the whole known world from the books as they are now. Aydindril for example is an important place in the midlands (an ancient enemy of the d'haran empire right?) so for those city's to exist next to each other, the world will have to be united. which will happen in my version of the world as it evolved after richard conquered all (and their son didnt go insane being a child from its mother and all...)

anyway
these are my ideas
i don't intend for this thread to become one big discussion about lore and stuff.. and i also like to say i didn't read the last two books yet (since they are uber fat and hard to get into) but if you do see something wrong (grammar) or have possible (non fantasy) ideas you would like to mention: go ahead. and for those interested in making this 'add-on' thanks! i hope i did some good to this world...
with my laziness..
but hopefully,
good ideas..

take care

Top Bottom