North Africa and Spain

Well, I meant east-west regarding Bulgaria. ;)

Only 1 city on the Peloponnese is necessary at the start date in my opinion. Perhaps put Arta in Epirus instead? Dyrrachion could also be added in (present-day) Albania. The rest looks fine. Anatolia is good as it is, the Byzantines should have a few spots to settle. Benghazi and Tobruk should be good for Libya, though there should obviously be the potential for other cities. Mersa Matruh (about halfway between Tobruk and Alexandria) should also be settleable, though obviously not a particularly good city.

No cities on Crete?

I think the Byzantines should start with Heraclion on Crete. Thank you for pointing that out.

Well, I meant east-west regarding Bulgaria. ;)

Sorry for misinterpreting. I agree with you.

Only 1 city on the Peloponnese is necessary at the start date in my opinion. Perhaps put Arta in Epirus instead? Dyrrachion could also be added in (present-day) Albania. The rest looks fine. Anatolia is good as it is, the Byzantines should have a few spots to settle. Benghazi and Tobruk should be good for Libya, though there should obviously be the potential for other cities. Mersa Matruh (about halfway between Tobruk and Alexandria) should also be settleable, though obviously not a particularly good city.

I disagree with the Peloponnese. Athens and Mystra both belong, IMHO. Arta instead of what? I agree about Dyrrachium. The ingame province would be Macedonia, is that okay? I sorta agree about Anatolia, i don't want it over filled, but I always thought there were too few cities, and this is a compromise between adding none and adding 6 (my original idea). What other costal cities for Libya, I don't think that the interior should be settleable, it's sparsely populated either today. I would have to add Mersa Matruh to Lower Egypt, as I want it to be historical area for some civs, but I don't want the Sahara to have cities in it (because almost all of it is unsettleable, there would be a huge stability penalty in adding it to core/historical provinces).

Rhodes should be Byzantine at start instead of Independent, they owned in until the mid 1200s. They Byzantines should also have Corfu at start.

Do you think any new civs are necessary with the map expansion?

Albania was always considered part of Epirus in ancient/medieval times, never Macedonia. So it should be in Epirus. I meant Arta instead of a second Peloponnese city, but it's your choice. About Mersa Matruh, that sounds fine. I don't think any new civs are necessary, just a lot of barbarians in the Balkans.

Albania was always considered part of Epirus in ancient/medieval times, never Macedonia. So it should be in Epirus. I meant Arta instead of a second Peloponnese city, but it's your choice. About Mersa Matruh, that sounds fine. I don't think any new civs are necessary, just a lot of barbarians in the Balkans.

Thank you. I don't actually have the programming skills to do this, but I'm planning on designing the map, just not programming it. I will extend Epirus.

About the Barbarians in the Balkans, I don't want it to be so the Byzantines lose most of their European cities at the beginning of the game, that's no fun. How should I prevent that from happening?

I think Arta and Hermopolis (in the Agean) should both be added. Thanks for suggesting it!

Well, the Byzantines should lose Philippopolis to Bulgarian barbs regularly, as well as Adrianople, Christopolis, and Thessalonica occasionally, but since they're barbarian cities they should be reconquered fairly quickly. It's kind of required for this to happen for historical purposes. A human player should be able to hold them off most of the time, though, given that you will probably figure out and plan for all the barbarian spawns after the first playthrough.

And about crusaders, I think he means that there should be quite a lot of troops landing in Greece for the 4th crusade as well as beside Constantinople. They should also be pressured by Serbians (represented by barbarians, I assume) in the 14th century, so that they are basically a crippled wreck for the Ottomans to conquer.

Also, looking at the map, depending on how far north you go Bulgaria and Serbia could be feasible civs.

Well, the Byzantines should lose Philippopolis to Bulgarian barbs regularly, as well as Adrianople, Christopolis, and Thessalonica occasionally, but since they're barbarian cities they should be reconquered fairly quickly. It's kind of required for this to happen for historical purposes. A human player should be able to hold them off most of the time, though, given that you will probably figure out and plan for all the barbarian sparll as beside Constantinople. They should also be pressured by Serbians (represented by barbarians, I assume) in the 14th century, so that they are basically a crippled wreck for the Ottomans to conquer.

Also, looking at the map, depending on how far north you go Bulgaria and Serbia could be feasible civs.

I'm not extending it in any direction other than west, so Bulgaria and Serbia won't work. I'm doing this to make the Byzantines and Egyptian civs more interesting, not to make a Medieval Europe RFC.

PS, could you help me make the map or do you know someone who could?

I think they could be in as unplayable civs, though. More elegant than barbarians while not having to make them fun or balanced to play. About making the map, sorry, no. I have absolutely no modding experience. You could post in the RFC Modding Central thread though, and I'm sure someone could teach you how to create/extend the map.

Well... it's kind of a big undertaking, and there aren't really a lot of modders here that don't already have big projects to work on. What I meant was that someone could teach you how to do it, not do it for you (and sorry, I can do neither).

Top Bottom