North African Unit Pack

Ogedei_the_Mad said:
Has anyone suggested Mamluk Cavalry? :)
Unfortunetly, Shiro doesn't have a camel prop. A horse could be used too, though a camel would be cooler.
For the time being/rest of time, I use the AOE2 conversions for this role.
Mameluke's have an interesting history. They definately make for a good unit.

Very nice units, and that archer is especially useful. Bear in mind, though, that the Carthagians weren't exactly Caucasian - they were darker than Europeans, since they had intermarried with darker-skinned peoples already present in North Africa. "Punic" means "red". Also, "North Africa" just refers to the region without reference to race, so anyone from that area is North African, whether they're black, white, or whatever. Although of course you do whatever units you want. It'd be fun to see some packs from elsewhere in Africa, though...

I absolutely second Heretic Cata's suggestion and all the ones posted by Ares de Borg. These would all be fabulous. I think any unit in a turban has to be good.

Not white, I think it only meaning Chistian Europeans, Portugese and Spainish are considered white because they are christian, if they were Muslim you would say Arab. Modern People in North Africa can have very light skin-tone, and People in modern Egypt have very Red skin, also many different Caucasian people get redish tone when they tan. But they still arent black people, they are Caucasian.

Plotinus said:
Bear in mind, though, that the Carthagians weren't exactly Caucasian - they were darker than Europeans, since they had intermarried with darker-skinned peoples already present in North Africa. "Punic" means "red".

Wasn't that becouse of the dyes they traded? Never heard of phoenician redskins J/K.

ShiroKobbure said:
Not white, I think it only meaning Chistian Europeans, Portugese and Spainish are considered white because they are christian, if they were Muslim you would say Arab. Modern People in North Africa can have very light skin-tone, and People in modern Egypt have very Red skin, also many different Caucasian people get redish tone when they tan. But they still arent black people, they are Caucasian.

No, they're not black, but they're not Caucasian either. Arabs aren't racially the same as Caucasians, although they obviously look more like Caucasians than black people do. A white Spaniard and an Arabian Moroccan are racially different, not just culturally. It's not just about skin tone but about other racial characteristics too (I have an Indian professor who is almost as pale as I am, but that doesn't make him Caucasian!). Perhaps it's harder to tell them apart for Asians - just as most westerners think all east Asians look exactly the same!

Indians and Arabs are Caucasians, they arent white, whites are Caucasian. It is like Spainish arent English, they dont look the same but they are both European. It is the same with Indians, Arabs, Europeans and Western Asians.

"Anthropology. Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as very light to brown skin pigmentation and straight to wavy or curly hair, and including peoples indigenous to Europe, northern Africa, western Asia, and India."

Great to hear about the new unit, but don't give up on the Moorish cavalry altogether it was looking good.

Yabanjin said:
Great to hear about the new unit, but don't give up on the Moorish cavalry altogether it was looking good.
I agree too ... i'm waiting for it to put it in my mod.
Hopefully you will finish this one till the launch in 3-4 weeks... :sad:

I always thought the actual Civ3 worker was something like that :confused: btw. the pyramids weren't built by slave labour per se- many free labourers also worked- some historians estimate free labour to have even been the bulk of the workforce...

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
btw. the pyramids weren't built by slave labour per se- many free labourers also worked- some historians estimate free labour to have even been the bulk of the workforce...

That is correct. Archeological evidence at a laborer's settlement at Giza reveals that the vast majority of the pyramid builders were free laborers, peasants who paid a "labor tax" when the their fields were inundated during the flood season. Doesn't mean that they were necessarily too happy lugging around limestone blocks around all day, though! ;)

I'd like to see a better Mamluk Cavalry. Doesn't have to be on a camel. :)

this is FANTASTIC!!!!!!
i'm putting this to use right now!

due to some terrible technical problems with my computer,
i lost some verrrrrrry important files, and the ones i have backed up
on DVD are from an earlier stage of development from my "Boudicca" mod.

so, that's on the back burner.....instead i have an interesting Egypt mod in the works, one that has been disscussed, yet never done, and THESE units are PERFECT! let's just say the Habiru Spearman may end up being a part of the Hyksos army ;)

thank-you so much!

Top Bottom