Nuclear Artillery

Donegeal

Chieftain
I'm trying to create a unit like the nuclear artillery the US had in the 1950's. The problem is that I don't think its possible. Here is what I have done:

Gave Catapults the "Nuclear Weapon" Flag.
Increased the range of a Catapult to 2 (it would be stupid to nuke one tile away).
Removed any tech requirements for Catapults.

I tried it out and, of course, it wouldn't let me build the Nuclear Catapults because you can't build nuclear weapons until the Mahattan Project is built. So first I switched the Palace over to being a small wonder with the "allows nuclear weapons tage, but ran into a splash issue as soon as I built my first city. I didn't want to deal with that at this point, so I switched the palace back and made it so I could build Mahattan Project from the start.

Yea! It all works now and I build my first Catapult with the Nuke tag. I send it out looking for targets and find one. I push the b putton for bombard and my range two grid comes up. I click on a tile that kill the unit, but not myself. It works. The countyside is covered in pollution, the enemy unit is gone and everybody declared war on me. Only one problem. My Catapult is gone too. It was outside the blast radius so it must have been consumed by the use of it.

So, my long winded question is: How do you make a nuclear capable artillery unit that doesn't dissapear after use?

That's not true at all. The 175mm and 208mm Tubes could lob the nuclear shells the better part of 20 miles, and the fallout would make any counterbattery radar useless upon detonation. There is no reason that popping a tactical nuke would mean the battery was immediately destroyed.

It doesn't make sense from a CivIII game mechanics standpoint though, as nukes are fairly expensive and their production costs are supposed to represent that. Lobbing them as mortar shells, mines, or artillery doesn't change that. I think the only bet here is to make some kind of unit resembling a cruise missile with a much smaller bombard radius and a representatively smaller cost than a missile, but still costly.

True, but actually what I'm aiming for is Mod based on the movie STARSHIP TROOPERS.

Yes, yes. I know that the movie sucked when compared to the book, but, if you just think about the movie, and don't compare it to the book (because the only thing similar is the name), it would make an extremely challenging, fun and destructive senerio.

Here is my concept.
Two teams only. The Federation and the Bugs. There could be a third, using Mormon Extremeist, but that a little over the top.

Bugs (or Arachnids according to the movie) are cheap, have no unit support move two and have the all terrian as road tag (currently using a giant spider as the unit). This will mean that the Bugs are going to be crawling with these units (just like the movie). They move fast and are deadly.

The goal of the Federation is to survive long enough to build the "Capture a Brain" great wonder. This wonder will then allow you to build more powerful units to then take the fight to the bugs, instead of being on the defensive.

Anyway, I started this entire thread because in the movie, the Troopers have shoulder mounted nukes. I was trying to figure a way to represent this in my mod.

Well, film or book, then the solution is likely all the same, make a nuclear grenade unit not unlike a cruise missile, and give the Mobile Infantry transport slots to carry it.

In the book there was another alien faction, the skinnys, who Johnny and his unit hit in the first chaper as a retaliation for selling out the location of earth. Personally I'd urge you to make it more like the book, what with Power Armor and Quasar Bombs. The film did at least get the bugs right for the most part, save the Klendathu in the book had technology.

sisawat said:
Well, film or book, then the solution is likely all the same, make a nuclear grenade unit not unlike a cruise missile, and give the Mobile Infantry transport slots to carry it.

That is a GREAT Idea! :goodjob:

sisawat said:
In the book there was another alien faction, the skinnys, who Johnny and his unit hit in the first chaper as a retaliation for selling out the location of earth. Personally I'd urge you to make it more like the book, what with Power Armor and Quasar Bombs. The film did at least get the bugs right for the most part, save the Klendathu in the book had technology.

Yeah, I know about the skinnys, and I know that if I made it more like the book it would have much wider appeal (at least a wider appeal to the type of people who play civ), but I was really just thinking about the movie that dealt with the planet 'P' and the Federations mission to capture a brain. I wasn't going to do much with technology. Maybe a tech or two and thats all. Personally, I want to see my civ screen COVERED in bugs to squash. I just love killing things in civ.

PS- anybody here know anybody who could make an arachnid unit, so i don't have to use a spider? (and more specificly, an m-unit arachnid?)

Top Bottom