Nuclear Weapons in Music

The Nagasaki Nutcracker, but that seems a bit insensitive...
It's interesting to think of the potential themes would be. Certainly a triumphant war epic would be in bad taste, given that the Japanese bombings were so horrific.

The horror of destruction, the surreal beauty of the explosion, the awe of the raw power we hold. Nuclear weapons certainly seem like a worthy subject.

A nuclear explosion is a long, rolling, rumbling thing, isn't it? Not really good for music. A cannon blast is brief enough that it can be used as an eccentric form of percussion, but a nuclear explosion would just end up as a sound effect.

have they ever had any microphones set up for one?

That said, I listened to a lot of 80's metal. I believe a couple songs had nuclear "explosions". Really just a studio sound effect.

I'm trying to think of some examples. I believe both Megadeth and Metal Church had nuclear explosions on a couple of their songs.

edit: the closest I can find is the intro to set the world afire (after the oldies bit). I'm pretty sure there are a couple others, but don't remember where.

re-edit: how could I forget the ending to Fight Fire with Fire (Metallica), again just a generic effect. Not even sure if it's supposed to be a nuclear explosion (might just be fire :))

While playing the 1812 overture did they only use cannons ? Or did they play it only when they could fire cannons.
A nuclear explosion is a long, rolling, rumbling thing, isn't it? Not really good for music. A cannon blast is brief enough that it can be used as an eccentric form of percussion, but a nuclear explosion would just end up as a sound effect.
That sound could easly be used in a drone rock/metal , sludge rock/metal and even horsehockygaze and slowcore if you push it a bit. But i dont think that's the kind of bands Perf is looking for tho.

In the 1812 Overture when its played and they can't use cannons, they would use very large snare drums IIRC. Impressive, but doesn't have the nice, sharp report of cannon fire.

In the only Nuclear related pieces I'm familiar with, Doctor Atomic by John Adams and Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima by Penderecki, the actual detonations and sounds of the bomb are abscent.

Since actual and fictional atomic blasts are common in the movies, and the sounds and footage of government recordings are in the public domain, I'm at a loss as to why they are largely missing from music.

Top Bottom