Nukes ? When are they used?

maverick13

Chieftain
I read a couple of posts and saw people talking about nukes very frequently in CIV V. But I have never had any use of it (Even when only possible victory is domination)

I play usually King (sometimes Emperor) Standard or sometimes (quick).

So are all talking about mutiplayer or is there something I am missing??

P.S: I am new to Civilization

Depending on the situation, the AI might use Nukes. It can depend on a lot of things. If you have the AI cornered and he`s that type of Leader he might hit you with a nuke, which I`ve had and then it`s pretty much nuclear war after that.

The AI does seem to try and not use Nukes which is realistic I think.

I`ve never seen the AI use nukes in a `first strike and win` kind of way. They never save all their nukes then just fire 20 nukes off on all targets to try and knock a Civ out in one go.

As a player: only when fooling around.

AI of course may use it on higher difficulties because they won't cry after a 30 pop city and all land wasted, a size 2 town surrounded with all ice or nuclear farmland is just as good to them.

AI seems to use nukes when they're desperate. I have gotten nuked twice and both times I had captured the enemy capital on the previous turn.

Both times AI nuked their former capital and my troops around it.

They should add diplomatic nuke dialogue...threats and such.

I very rarely play for domination victories, which may have something to do with it, but I've never used a nuke and it has been ages since the AI nuked me. I don't remember if it was during Vanilla or G&K when I was last nuked, nor can I remember what victory I was going for. It's been a long time; before BNW.

I can think of 2 situations in which nukes might be useful:
1) If you are being invaded/attacked by a much stronger opponent and they have a mass of units in one area, wiping them out in one go might be worth cleaning up the mess afterwards.
2) If you are going for Domination and have only 1, maybe 2 capitals left, you won't really care what shape the capital is in when you get it. You won't have to build it back up because you'll have already won.

There is also third reason for using nukes

3) They are awesome

Seriously, who cares about grand strategy when you can make BIG EXPLOSION :p

Depending on the situation, the AI might use Nukes. It can depend on a lot of things. If you have the AI cornered and he`s that type of Leader he might hit you with a nuke, which I`ve had and then it`s pretty much nuclear war after that.

The AI does seem to try and not use Nukes which is realistic I think.

I`ve never seen the AI use nukes in a `first strike and win` kind of way. They never save all their nukes then just fire 20 nukes off on all targets to try and knock a Civ out in one go.

Yeah, it seems that AI won't drop them first, but if you drop one on them, they will just keep dropping them. It's like with GP I guess.

Gandhi seems to be most willing to drop them tho. :lol: I would expect it from Zulus or Japan (or Korea :D ), but nope, they fight with honor. :p

I nuke someone the turn before I get a science victory every single game.

I play immortal at the time being and I've never had the AI use a nuke. A couple civs usually just complete the Manhattan project right when I'm about ready to win.

They were way more fun on older versions of Civilization. If you used too many of them you would raise the water level. Every coastal city would be no more and it completely changed the landscape. You could get global warming too which turned tiles into desert.

Why don't they still have ICBMs too? It's lame you have to be close enough or have them on a nuc sub or something to hit anyone with them.

Nukes have a purpose in games where you messed up bad enough for an AI to have a victory imminent against you. you then nuke your way to its capitol.

You can nuke when you want to eliminate a city but don't want to send troops to take it then raze it. The actual nuking only penalizes you for that civ, so if you're knocking them down to their last few cities you are free to do it (but don't nuke away their last city!!)

I think the most strategic use is to stop an AI who's getting uncomfortably close to an SV. If an AI is looking like it even has a snowball's chance at completing it's ship before I get my VC I'll nuke it's largest cities. This really slows down building ship parts and gives you the breathing room you need to beat them.

Otherwise I'll do it right before I win or on the last civ I need for a dom game just for kicks.

The only time I've ever seen nukes used by the AI was in my very first game, long after the game had been won (Over 100 turns I believe). Siam nuked a one tile island city, doing next to nothing.

Aside from that though, I've never seen the AI use nukes (Though I have seen them built)

Thnx a lot for the reply guys.
That's what I wanted to know because Darius once nuked me in vanilla apart from that its complete severance form nuke. AI do complete Manhattan project but even when in a pure dom victory I have captured all their cities but capital they do not retaliate with nukes.

I was just wondering that whether its has any significance or just a moot point.

I remember one time Genghis Khan said "My threats are backed by nuclear weapons!"
I found this funny coming from Genghis Khan.

Funnier then Monthy dancing in blue jeans and listening pop music? :lol:

or Washington saying how you two will be good communists? :lol:

I get nuclear threats from Catharine all the time. :mischief:

I nuke someone the turn before I get a science victory every single game.

I play immortal at the time being and I've never had the AI use a nuke. A couple civs usually just complete the Manhattan project right when I'm about ready to win.

They were way more fun on older versions of Civilization. If you used too many of them you would raise the water level. Every coastal city would be no more and it completely changed the landscape. You could get global warming too which turned tiles into desert.

Why don't they still have ICBMs too? It's lame you have to be close enough or have them on a nuc sub or something to hit anyone with them.

Nukes have been `nerfed` for `gameplay`. I liked how they were in previous Civs- HARD. It was generally endgame when you used more than a couple of nukes. You actually learned that they are not toys t be used lightly.

Top Bottom