Nukes ? When are they used?

There is also third reason for using nukes

3) They are awesome

Seriously, who cares about grand strategy when you can make BIG EXPLOSION :p

Damn right

I will often nuke the most annoying civ the turn before I take a science win just for the lolz.

I like to park a nuclear sub with a nuke under the ice within range of the strongest AI civ just in case.

They're still pretty nasty but I think they are easier to recover from than they used to be in other civ games. I haven't had an AI drop a nuke on me since Vanilla. Are they less prone to do it now?

forgot to add, they're also good for defensively carpeting a swath of enemy units in your neutral territory or sea zone. and you don't need the higher tech missiles for this.

I'm not sure I understand. When wouldn't you use nukes? The only possible scenario I can envision is when you don't have them, but that answer seems so obvious.

If my relationship with a civ is past the point of recovering, nukes get the green light :goodjob: :nuke:

Anger management needed here by some, I think.

I try to use Nukes as little as possible even when they upset me. Maybe it`s cos I`m older, but i still remember the days when a nuke landing in one`s backyard was a a daily possible reality.

I think the most strategic use is to stop an AI who's getting uncomfortably close to an SV. If an AI is looking like it even has a snowball's chance at completing it's ship before I get my VC I'll nuke it's largest cities. This really slows down building ship parts and gives you the breathing room you need to beat them.

Yes, it's the only way to be sure. ;)

Yeah, it seems that AI won't drop them first, but if you drop one on them, they will just keep dropping them. It's like with GP I guess.

Gandhi seems to be most willing to drop them tho. :lol: I would expect it from Zulus or Japan (or Korea :D ), but nope, they fight with honor. :p

I declared war on a much larger zulu before and the first thing they did was a nuke on my capital and the fight has barely begun

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've never seen the AI use nukes, but in my current game, me and Japan are rather hostile and they've sent aircraft carriers with nukes around Africa. I'm keeping Nuclear Submarines around their capital, just in case they mean to use said nuke carriers.

But other than that, I've never even considered nukes.

In my Venice game on Emperor, Mongolia was being a warmonger - stealing my ally city-states. I sent over one carrier with a nuke, nuked one of his largest cities and was then able to make him negotiate a peace involving me getting a lot of money. And yeah, all friendly civs were afraid of me after that :D Nukes show the other civs that you are not to be messed with.

I've used Nukes to finish the game. I'll use nukes on the capital followed by XCOM Squads to weaken the city so I can hurry up and win. It's a time saver more than anything else. However, those who say they are awesome are correct. My computer is below specs, so I'm often on Strategic View, but I make sure to change it back to watch the nuke explode.

I think the most strategic use is to stop an AI who's getting uncomfortably close to an SV. If an AI is looking like it even has a snowball's chance at completing it's ship before I get my VC I'll nuke it's largest cities. This really slows down building ship parts and gives you the breathing room you need to beat them.

Otherwise I'll do it right before I win or on the last civ I need for a dom game just for kicks.

Also nuking the spaceship parts themselves works. You can put a spy in the capital, and when you seek a spaceship part get near, nuke it.

I read a couple of posts and saw people talking about nukes very frequently in CIV V. But I have never had any use of it (Even when only possible victory is domination)

I play usually King (sometimes Emperor) Standard or sometimes (quick).

So are all talking about mutiplayer or is there something I am missing??

P.S: I am new to Civilization

When you see a large armada of enemy ships with complete various embarked land units all clumped together, a nuke will do a lot of damage --- taking out many units at once. So sometimes it's useful used against units, even if you don't use it against a city.

The same goes for an enemy city surrounded by many enemy units --- send in a nuke, damage a lot of units at once, clear up some space, then attack with paratroopers or Xcom or whatnot. Luckily they don't seem to get affected by the radiation that is still lingering!

The one time I used a nuke first (knowing the enemy, Darius, also had nukes) he turned around and nuked me constantly for the next 4-5 turns. So sometimes the AI seems to hold back until you attack.

They should add diplomatic nuke dialogue...threats and such.

Actually AI Bismarck threatens me with his nukes and he said:

"My words are backed with nuclear weapons!"

That was enough for me running off my tails.:D
I was scared because I could see his nuclear submarines near my coastal city, and I dont have a uranium resource.

And what i did was I gave him my extra luxuries to soothe him. I was playing emperor, GNK.

As I rarely get to the late game, having either solidified a win or (more likely) a loss, are there diplomatic penalties for dropping nukes on other civs?
Does it tie in with the whole "warmonger" system?

Only Alex has nuked me, twice - both in games where I was trying to stop him beating me to a SV by warring, and both times on cities I had taken from him. In both cases he fired first but I nuked him right back by melting Athens and his home guard. They were both very bloody games where he was the runaway for most of the game.

I nuked the crap out of Monty at the end of my last game, just for the hell of it; I could have captured his capital just with conventional weapons but it was more fun - and anyway I'm petulant when backstabbed...

As I rarely get to the late game, having either solidified a win or (more likely) a loss, are there diplomatic penalties for dropping nukes on other civs?
Does it tie in with the whole "warmonger" system?

You get the "you nuked us" penalty with the civ you attacked, but diplomacy with other Civs is unaffected.

Top Bottom