• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Obama to NASA: Forget space, think about the poor Muslims

What's with people getting worked up because he said the M-word? How is it, in the context, inappropriate in any way?
Because they view the Muslims as enemies? Because they missed the whole point of having international space projects?

Because they view the Muslims as enemies? Because they missed the whole point of having international space projects?

If we're going to have international space projects, then our top priority shouldn't be a bunch of people who don't believe in science.

"A bunch of people who don't believe in science"? Don't you have them confused with most fundamentalist Christians? :lol:

Moderator Action: Your troll was uncalled for and only diminishes the discourse.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

If we're going to have international space projects, then our top priority shouldn't be a bunch of people who don't believe in science.

I agree moving NASA out of Texas is a good idea.

Muslims don't believe in Science? I guess this guy wasn't a Muslim:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Jazari
He invented water-powered automatons, primitive analog computers, flush mechanisms, and alot of other stuff.
Same goes for the Muslims who formalized algebra. (An arabic root word)

This just in, Obama has followed through with his promise to reform the Minerals Management Service. Its mission is now to foster understanding amoungst the muslim people of the world.

Yeah, thats how stupid this NASA comment was. Stop defending it.

This just in, Obama has followed through with his promise to reform the Minerals Management Service. Its mission is now to foster understanding amoungst the muslim people of the world.

Yeah, thats how stupid this NASA comment was. Stop defending it.

Completely different types of organization with completely different goals and different views when it comes to international cooperation.

Comparison invalid.

Really, this is only an issue because he said "Muslims" rather than "Europeans" or "Japanese".

No, its a problem because he included it as a primary mission, and of the three he gave none of them were in way central to space explorationa and aeronautical research.

Its fine to recognize that your work has an effect on dimplomacy, but thats a far cry from listing it as a primary mission of the organization. Cart before the horse so to say.

NASA is relevant internationally because of its science, full stop. Its focus should be science.

I disagree with your last line, actually. Now, NASA's science is very important, don't get me wrong. But I think that NASA has a 'big toys' relevance, too. Internationally, people like its big toys.

No, its a problem because he included it as a primary mission, and of the three he gave none of them were in way central to space explorationa and aeronautical research.

Its fine to recognize that your work has an effect on dimplomacy, but thats a far cry from listing it as a primary mission of the organization. Cart before the horse so to say.

NASA is relevant internationally because of its science, full stop. Its focus should be science.

Bolden's an administrator/organizer, not a scientist.

He sets the agenda of NASA, what he says is what NASA does.

Seriously, don't be obtuse. I am going to give the the three formost missions of an unnamed US government agency.

1.) Improve interest and education in math and science for children
2.) Expand international cooperation
3.) Engage with the Muslim world and make them feel good about their scientific achievements of a few hundred years ago. (#1 goal)

Knowing nothing else, name that agency!

He sets the agenda of NASA, what he says is what NASA does.

Seriously, don't be obtuse. I am going to give the the three formost missions of an unnamed US government agency.

Actually, it's the three foremost missions of the administrator of that government agency. Those'd be his personal goals during his tenure as NASA administrator, but not the goal of NASA the organization.

We can play this game all day, it doesn't make your arguement any less ******ed.
Moderator Action: Let's not, OK. And BTW, use of "******ed" is often considered offensive by some; please pick a different word in the future. Thanks.

But lets lie and say he was talking about his personal goals and not his goals for his agence.

A random US agency head says this:

1.) Improve interest and education in math and science for children
2.) Expand international cooperation
3.) Engage with the Muslim world and make them feel good about their scientific achievements of a few hundred years ago. (#1 goal)

Name his agency!

How about you actually address the issue at hand here: what's wrong with the administrator of NASA being tasked with improving relations and increasing cooperation with the Muslim world during his time as administrator, saying so on Al Jazeera television?

"NASA is a science organization" -> international cooperation is an important part of NASA's work.
"Muslim world has nothing to offer" -> that's just baseless claims.

what's wrong with the administrator of NASA being tasked with improving relations and increasing cooperation with the Muslim world during his time as administrator, saying so on Al Jazeera television?

"NASA is a science organization" - Tailleskang

You answered your own question.

So where does Obama say NASA should, as you say, "Forget space"? I'm having trouble finding it. Would an upstanding chap help me with my predicament? :)

When he made it at the very best its fourth priority. In reality is probaby in the teens somewhere behind diversity and gender sensitivity.

Top Bottom