Objective quality in purely subjective things

All that does is count the number of people who like it.

It still doesn't provide a reason for saying something is objectively good.
i should muse properly over the other responses and mentions, but i think i have to return to my core point and actually do a note here (and this is not for you in particular, i'm just picking up from this thread).

this is a short rephrase/furthermusing-on, of the whole thing: i don't think there's much meaning in saying something is "objectively good". what you can do is to describe it with reasonable objectivity (as for any other material one observes), and recognize that the way people respond to it is an objective reality of the world.

if you talk art, the core point is the experience of any number of observers. the material is irrelevant up & until what it does to the observer on a matter of emotion, whether illusory or not (the illusion may even be the point). saying something is objectively good? that's... not really the field of aesthetics. so when i write (or read) theory, there's a fine line to be walked there. but describing why a group of people think that it's good? aesthetics is surprisingly good at that; and it can tie this to the material (actually objective criteria), and it's possible to attain rigidity and some predictability when discussing this qualitatively (describing, as such, what objective criteria in the material the people experience, and how they engage with it).

that a book has been purchased X times is an objective criteria that the book has been purchased X times. this does not substantiate that the material in itself is good, but it gives you a pathway to investigate why people find it good, where you look into its material flow.

your example of cigarettes is actually a good one (besides the fact that drug use, and the sense of smell are both quite poorly talked about in aesthetics, but let's put that aside for the example); since it's so unhealthy for you, but people do it as an aesthetic experience, so an aesthetician of some sort could reasonably describe when a cigarette smoke is and isn't "succesful"; that it kills you, the aesthetician has no say in that over the isolated event of experiencing a cigarette. the issue with the example of course is that i can't say anything about cigarettes because i have no frame of reference for engaging with such material. it's a genre of engagement, so to say, but it's in a field that i'd wager is really, really narrow, if it's even studied. most aesthetic theory on drug use is... weird.

Your avatar lied to me :(
That smoking still exists despite it being known that it has so negative health effects, is due to the positives experienced subjectively by the smokers. Cigarettes are thus objectively a good product->the demand persists even after a sustained polemic. Cigarettes are not, however, good on their own, nor are they bad for all on account that they are identified as bad by many (eg non-smokers). Finally, that they are good for some wouldn't have been enough to keep them around, if those that identified something good in them were too few.
The factor which may not easily find its analogue in art (there can be an analogue, but not so distinct; it would break up to parts and simultaneously interconnect with those parts on various levels) is that a good part of why smoking is identified as positive by smokers is the addiction itself.

Just my experience with smokers.

The back 40? Mars?

You missed the word painfully, I don't think anyway wants a long, painful death, shoot I don't even like the aches & pains of reasonable functional middle-age existence, being infirm, miserable & cranky every single day for my final years, not enjoying life & a physical & emotional burden for all around me sounds like hell, I'd be ringing Dr K.
Life doesn't end like Disney unless it's a beautiful tragedy. Dying hurts. Dying of chronic old age is slow. Anatomical systems gradually run farther and farther out of tolerance.

I was cheated of some of the slow ugly I wanted in life, for those I love best. What we got was a more beautiful tragedy. I'd have traded, so would have she. I'm not a certain as I once was, now. But I do know it all ends in pain before the veil. Not unless you're lucky, but unless it's sudden.

The back 40 just means the far field. Mars is Mars. It's difficult to talk from there to here.

Last edited:
Your avatar lied to me :(
oh, i do smoke. but like, i know a lot about aesthetic theory when it comes to music and literature, and therefore me speaking qualified on these things has to meet a certain standard. cigarettes is something i have to muse over.
That smoking still exists despite it being known that it has so negative health effects, is due to the positives experienced subjectively by the smokers. Cigarettes are thus objectively a good product->the demand persists even after a sustained polemic. Cigarettes are not, however, good on their own, nor are they bad for all on account that they are identified as bad by many (eg non-smokers). Finally, that they are good for some wouldn't have been enough to keep them around, if those that identified something good in them were too few.
The factor which may not easily find its analogue in art (there can be an analogue, but not only so distinct; it's break up to various other on various levels) is that a good part of why smoking is identified as positive by smokers is the addiction itself.
actually, there's a lot of theory as to exposure leading to taste. of course, there's a difference between that and addiction - but still.

The factor which may not easily find its analogue in art (there can be an analogue, but not so distinct; it would break up to parts and simultaneously interconnect with those parts on various levels) is that a good part of why smoking is identified as positive by smokers is the addiction itself.
The addiction is comfort but I most smokers I've known hate that they are addicted, they like the ahhhh when they get their fix but they hate that they smoke, smell bad, their clothes smell bad, that they're a bad influence on others, give money to an industry that profits off their early death. I don't think anyone likes the actual addiction part.
Life doesn't end like Disney unless it's a beautiful tragedy. Dying hurts. Dying of chronic old age is slow. Anatomical systems gradually run farther and farther out of tolerance.
If it's inevitable & precious why hasten the end & make it more painful? You have something precious you don't abuse it, you don't take your new sneakers & jump in mud & then leave them out to stink. Rage against the dying of the light that's my philosophy. We're all gonna die anyone lets have a fag is loser talk, anyone who thinks like that keep your social distance.
I was cheated of some of the slow ugly I wanted in life, for those I love best. What we got was a more beautiful tragedy. I'd have traded, so would have she. I'm not a certain as I once was, now. But I do know it all ends in pain before the veil. Not unless you're lucky, but unless it's sudden.
My dad died pretty fast (cancer killed him in less than a year), I wouldn't have wanted to see him suffer for longer. I want to go peacefully in my sleep with my mind & body reasonably fit til the last days, with my affairs in order & as little burden to others as possible. Obviously that's not completely within my control but I do what's within my control to make it that way.

We're all gonna die anyone lets have a fag is loser talk, anyone who thinks like that keep your social distance.
Don't worry.

Spoiler Kendrick Lamar's lyrics in Like That :

These n****s talkin' out of they necks
Don't pull no coffin out of your mouth; / I'm way too paranoid for a threat

Ayy-ayy, let's get it, bro D-O-T, / the money, power, respect
The last one is better; / it's a lot of goofies with a check

I mean, ah, / I hope them sentiments symbolic
Ah, my temperament / bipolar, I choose vi’lence

Okay, let's get it up, / it's time for him to prove that he's a problem
N****s clickin' up, but cannot be legit, no 40 water

Ah, yeah, huh, yeah, get up with me; F*** sneak dissin',
first person shooter I hope they came with three switches

I crash out, like, "F*** rap, " this Melle Mel if I had to
Got two T's with me, I'm snatchin' chains and burnin' tattoos

It's up, lost too many soldiers not to play it safe
If he walk around with that stick, / it ain't Andre 3 K

Think I won't drop the location? I still got PTSD
Motherf*** the big three, n****, it's just big me

N****, bum, what? / I'm really like that
And your best work is a light pack, N****, Prince outlive Mike Jack

N****, bum, 'fore all your dogs gettin' buried
That's a K with all these nines, he gon' see Pet Sematary

starting 1:48 on the video, which I won't post for prohibited language.

I've spoilered them because probably nobody but me wants to see my layout. But I've long thought we needed a better way of representing rap lyrics than one usually finds on the web. The closing rhyme provides structure to the verse, and earlier parts can be looser. So you see/hear more clearly what's going on if you have that visual reminder of where the musical measures are ending.

Couldn't be more different from the J Cole lyrics. KL really makes use of the syllable-count freedom that the musical beat allows for. J Cole's would scan even if they were just printed out as conventional poetry (as I tried to show). Here, by contrast, the underlines indicate a musical beat, and there's great variety in the number of syllables between them. Now KL (and all rappers) ensure that a stressed syllable falls on the musical beat--but in between can be any number of syllables, ranging from zero to five "it's time for him to" e.g. The verses break into half-lines, two strong beats in each, and I've indicated that with slashes. I haven't been exhaustive with my beat markers or my half-line markers Rhyme is only expected at the end of the second half-line, so that's how I've arranged them as rhyming couplets.

We'll probably say that the two styles are simply a matter of subjective taste. I'm conscious that I favor J Cole's approach. On another thread, @Lexicus has indicated that what he likes in rap is precisely the thing KL is doing here: variously adapting his syllable count so that a key syllable (sonically or content-wise) falls on a musical beat. In order to maintain the verbal beat in such circumstances, one's voice has to fall even harder on the stressed syllable (to keep the variable number of unstressed syllables under its control, if you will).

Tonally, KL's much more harsh. J Cole put his boast indirectly and implicitly; KL states flatly that there's only a "big me." And the less tidy approach to meter is in keeping with tonal harshness. It is, furthermore, in service of a 7th criterion of excellence, and a really important one for this genre: authenticity. KL implicitly faults J Cole for his tidiness: "one can't be that precise and still genuine" is the message. He doesn't do much with the sports analogy that dominates the video, at least, of First Person Shooter, but rather picks up the one stretch where Drake is "clikcking" a pistol, clicking the safety off, I guess. And it picks up on the "dog" references in the video. So KL's wordplay contrasts two kinds of weapon AK 47s and 9s to create a word play on K9. Drake's "dogs" will end up in a Pet Sematary. He's gunning for Drake more than J Cole, right from his first effort.

Again, judging between KL and J Cole's styles is like judging between a stiletto and a hatchet.

But we must judge between them. That's the beauty of this genre (for purposes of our aesthetic inquiry). It's explicitly competitive. It forces you, the audience, to declare which of two efforts is better. So we must judge which one of the two uses the various techniques of rap more effectively so as to get a sick burn in on the other. And both participants are implicitly saying, by being party to the battle, "I am better at this artistic form than that other guy."--forcing us all to define what makes for excellence in that genre. Now we don't actually have to make that judgment yet. Until he heard these lines, J Cole didn't realize he was instigating a rap-battle with KL (the reference to "big three" could be regarded as generous and complimentary). So his first entry in the exchange isn't yet fully engaged. (And he bows out after the second).

But the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Last edited:
It is a metric, but is it objective?

I think of something like a “like” is hard to add a quality to: if I like something, it doesn’t come at the exclusion of something else, so there’s no shortage of likes that I can give.

If a movie studio could truly harness this, it would find a way to determine who would get the most enjoyment out of a movie, then charge cinemagoers accordingly based on what they would pay. I guess you could already do this by auctioning off movie tickets, but this would be time-consuming and certainly more expensive than the current flat rates to which we are all bound. :)

You can measure something like this and ask how many people liked something—but what does it mean?

Given the shenanigans pulled by modern ticket sellers on various sites, it looks like tickets are already basically auctioned. It's just that laws haven't caught up and neither have the methods to prevent that sort of thing.

Gone are the days, apparently, when if I wanted to see something, all I needed to do was go buy a ticket. The idea of having to do it online is alien to me. If I wanted to attend a concert or play (back when I used to do things like that), I'd ideally go to the ticket place in town, in the basement at Hudson's Bay; it was the Bay Ticket Wicket and they sold tickets for concerts, plays, other cultural events, etc. They had a diagram of the auditorium so we could pick our seats, and since I'd already worked in those auditoriums in the theatre, I knew where the best ones were to have clear sight lines, good view of everything on stage, and excellent acoustics. Sometimes there wasn't time for that and I'd go to the venue and hope that there might be a seat left in that good section. I got lucky most of the time. But the prices were never jacked up to the crazy levels they are now. It's been 30 years since I last attended a symphony, 24 since I last saw a play, and 25 since I last went to a movie.

Well... I should have clarified that by "something" I meant some type of art.
I was also discounting negative side-effects for simplicity's sake, although a proper utilitarian approach should certainly account for those as well.
This, however, gets complex... we might easily come to conclusion that "good" art is "bad", because people would get drawn to it to the exclusion of other, more important stuff. Like binging a series while neglecting their duties, health and personal hygiene...

I should say that I didn't intend the thread to get sidetracked onto the topic of smoking being good or bad; it's just the notion that "the more X sells, the greater the proof that X is good" really bothers me.

It could connect to art by the number of actors and singers whose voices and health severely deteriorated due to smoking. Prime examples would include Yul Brynner and Leonard Nimoy. I can think of quite a few others.

i don't think there's much meaning in saying something is "objectively good". what you can do is to describe it with reasonable objectivity (as for any other material one observes), and recognize that the way people respond to it is an objective reality of the world.

There are two contexts in which to say something is objectively good. One is valid. The other can lead to arguments and ill will and a moderator on the Star Trek forum staying mad at me since 2009 because I don't like nuTrek. He's never forgiven me for that (literally; he still snarks about it).

The valid context is when experts (or at least knowledgeable people) in a field evaluate another person in that field. Example: the organist whose videos some of us have posted/commented about here in OT. As someone who played the organ for many years, took years' worth of exams, originally learned to play by ear and was better at it that way than by reading sheet music, and knows that an active practice session (both hands and feet) is actually a good workout for said hands and feet... that guy is beyond phenomenal. I can tell when he gets in "the zone" - when that large organ becomes a part of him, and he can make it do anything he wants because it's an extension of him as though he suddenly grew a set of keyboards and stops. A good organist can do that anyway, technically. A better-to-great organist feels it to the point that they're in the music, not the world around them. It's one of the most amazing feelings ever.

Of course the audience will have varying opinions of their own. They might not think he's amazing and would disagree that he's "objectively good". But organists would deem him objectively good, due to how skilled he is.

It's like that with any musical instrument. There was a guy here in town who was said to be an amazing pianist. But to me he sounded like 'plink-plunk' and bored me to the point where I nearly fell asleep in the middle of it (he kept on and on and on, and I wished he'd stop that annoying noise). I guess other pianists considered him good. But for me it has to be a specific musician to make a piano sound good. Yanni managed it.

As for things that are "noise"... I'm reminded of a particular rehearsal one night for "Kiss Me Kate" back in spring of 1979. We'd moved into the theatre by that point (earlier rehearsals were in various rented gyms) and the set crew was busy building sets... on the same night that the orchestra was there and the actors were rehearsing some of the Act 1 musical numbers.

That's not a good mix. The sets had to be built on the stage because they were too big to build them elsewhere. The orchestra had nowhere else to go but the orchestra pit. Both the conductor and the head of the set crew were angry to the point of yelling at each other, since the sounds of hammering interfered with the music and singing.

Finally the guy in charge of the set crew asked the conductor what the time signature was for the song they were doing. 3/4, he was told. Waltz tempo.

Fine, no problem, the set guy said. So the music started, the actors sang and danced, and the guys building the set made sure to hammer in 3/4 time to the music. It worked.

So I can say that I've heard "Wunderbar" played not only with regular instruments but with hammers on nails, pounded into wood. :p

that a book has been purchased X times is an objective criteria that the book has been purchased X times. this does not substantiate that the material in itself is good, but it gives you a pathway to investigate why people find it good, where you look into its material flow.

Gah. Kevin J. Anderson loves to brag about all the times his books were on some best-seller list, which apparently proves that they're not only good, but great.

Well, McDonalds has sold billions of burgers, and I love their cheeseburgers. But are they as good as a gourmet meal from a fine restaurant? They're nowhere near as nutritious, and they're not as much a special treat as that salmon with freshly-steamed veggies meal I used to love at one of the local restaurants that doesn't exist anymore.

NuDune, in my food metaphor, is an inferior burger, not even as good as a McD cheeseburger. It's dry, without interesting flavor, but the ad campaign has induced many people to buy them. No amount of boasting about the New York Times best-seller list is going to change my mind about that.

your example of cigarettes is actually a good one (besides the fact that drug use, and the sense of smell are both quite poorly talked about in aesthetics, but let's put that aside for the example); since it's so unhealthy for you, but people do it as an aesthetic experience, so an aesthetician of some sort could reasonably describe when a cigarette smoke is and isn't "succesful"; that it kills you, the aesthetician has no say in that over the isolated event of experiencing a cigarette. the issue with the example of course is that i can't say anything about cigarettes because i have no frame of reference for engaging with such material. it's a genre of engagement, so to say, but it's in a field that i'd wager is really, really narrow, if it's even studied. most aesthetic theory on drug use is... weird.

The whole thing about actors posing with a cigarette because "it's cool" or "sexy" or whatever... it makes me want to reach into the photo and rip that death instrument out of their hands and flush out their lungs and try to persuade them that they really don't need that to live a good life, nor do they need it to be successful.

Of course I don't live in their body or brain; maybe they do need something. I just wish they didn't feel that way, or that what they saw as a solution wasn't something guaranteed to give them a premature death.

Well, McDonalds has sold billions of burgers, and I love their cheeseburgers. But are they as good as a gourmet meal from a fine restaurant? They're nowhere near as nutritious, and they're not as much a special treat as that salmon with freshly-steamed veggies meal I used to love at one of the local restaurants that doesn't exist anymore.
going over this (and some other stuff in your post, but focusing on this), i think i'll reiterate the distinction again. whether things are "objectively" good or better for you (stuff like nutrients is relevant here) is irrelevant to the aesthetician. rather, the field of study is the question of why people like it. whether they are wrong to like it does not even come into the equation.

proper art critique doesn't do much judging on art as to the "nutrients" of the piece, in the metaphor; they rather investigate what the nature of the experience is like, and want to build from there what can be inductively be predicted as a response from the nature of the material and the observer.

i'll repost the tree-airplane part from my first post in this thread:

you have to basically abandon the distinction between (arbitrarily wrong) taste and (always true) capital K Knowledge. wholly so. instead, look into how a material objectively makes you feel. its rules are not (universally) objective, but what you feel is a present response in the world. what you feel is something you actually feel. when it comes to thinking a tree is an airplane, you're naturally wrong in the external sense, but it's true that you think this tree is an airplane. what you feel doesn't just disappate into thin air because you're wrong.

the thing is, simply, that art is not a science, but describing its properties and how you relate to it doesn't rob aesthetics of predictive power. because thing is, old aesthetics are often quite on point, even the very wrong ones that flew too close to the sun and claimed universality. their issue wasn't ever their description of technique - their issue was claim to extra-human essential, ideal truth. this is the supposed discrepancy of aesthetic objectivism vs subjectivism. within their own frameworks of creation and observation, the old masters are on god damn point. it's very predictive for educating people for the material process of creating something good. that's the whole point of skill. older "objective" aesthetics are really bad at trying to defend that trees are airplanes, but they are excellent at describing how and why the tree looks like an airplane for the very specific person involved. i don't know if the metaphor makes sense, but that's basically what's going on.

it doesn't matter whether the cheeseburger is better or worse nutrients-wise. for art, there's basically no real, measurable nutrients anyways; all that matters is the response. the critic is then not to judge whether it's wrong or not that it works, but to figure out why it works (and it works the moment people think it does).

i also did note that pure numbers and/or popularity is a material criteria (and a quite objective one, in that a certain number of, say, books have been moved to stores and beyond (similar to counting fish in a river), but it's not the end-all for any critique. stopping there is not useful. it's just measurably popular, and with such a volume of a response, allows us to look at what appeals to people over the material. at no point will we stop and therefore declare that the art is good (or bad) and you just don't get it if you don't think so.

Spoiler Kendrick Lamar's lyrics in Like That :

These n****s talkin' out of they necks
Don't pull no coffin out of your mouth; / I'm way too paranoid for a threat

Ayy-ayy, let's get it, bro D-O-T, / the money, power, respect
The last one is better; / it's a lot of goofies with a check

I mean, ah, / I hope them sentiments symbolic
Ah, my temperament / bipolar, I choose vi’lence

Okay, let's get it up, / it's time for him to prove that he's a problem
N****s clickin' up, but cannot be legit, no 40 water

Ah, yeah, huh, yeah, get up with me; F*** sneak dissin',
first person shooter I hope they came with three switches

I crash out, like, "F*** rap, " this Melle Mel if I had to
Got two T's with me, I'm snatchin' chains and burnin' tattoos

It's up, lost too many soldiers not to play it safe
If he walk around with that stick, / it ain't Andre 3 K

Think I won't drop the location? I still got PTSD
Motherf*** the big three, n****, it's just big me

N****, bum, what? / I'm really like that
And your best work is a light pack, N****, Prince outlive Mike Jack

N****, bum, 'fore all your dogs gettin' buried
That's a K with all these nines, he gon' see Pet Sematary

starting 1:48 on the video, which I won't post for prohibited language.

I've spoilered them because probably nobody but me wants to see my layout. But I've long thought we needed a better way of representing rap lyrics than one usually finds on the web. The closing rhyme provides structure to the verse, and earlier parts can be looser. So you see/hear more clearly what's going on if you have that visual reminder of where the musical measures are ending.

Couldn't be more different from the J Cole lyrics. KL really makes use of the syllable-count freedom that the musical beat allows for. J Cole's would scan even if they were just printed out as conventional poetry (as I tried to show). Here, by contrast, the underlines indicate a musical beat, and there's great variety in the number of syllables between them. Now KL (and all rappers) ensure that a stressed syllable falls on the musical beat--but in between can be any number of syllables, ranging from zero to five "it's time for him to" e.g. The verses break into half-lines, two strong beats in each, and I've indicated that with slashes. I haven't been exhaustive with my beat markers or my half-line markers Rhyme is only expected at the end of the second half-line, so that's how I've arranged them as rhyming couplets.

We'll probably say that the two styles are simply a matter of subjective taste. I'm conscious that I favor J Cole's approach. On another thread, @Lexicus has indicated that what he likes in rap is precisely the thing KL is doing here: variously adapting his syllable count so that a key syllable (sonically or content-wise) falls on a musical beat. In order to maintain the verbal beat in such circumstances, one's voice has to fall even harder on the stressed syllable (to keep the variable number of unstressed syllables under its control, if you will).

Tonally, KL's much more harsh. J Cole put his boast indirectly and implicitly; KL states flatly that there's only a "big me." And the less tidy approach to meter is in keeping with tonal harshness. It is, furthermore, in service of a 7th criterion of excellence, and a really important one for this genre: authenticity. KL implicitly faults J Cole for his tidiness: "one can't be that precise and still genuine" is the message. He doesn't do much with the sports analogy that dominates the video, at least, of First Person Shooter, but rather picks up the one stretch where Drake is "clikcking" a pistol, clicking the safety off, I guess. And it picks up on the "dog" references in the video. So KL's wordplay contrasts two kinds of weapon AK 47s and 9s to create a word play on K9. Drake's "dogs" will end up in a Pet Sematary. He's gunning for Drake more than J Cole, right from his first effort.

Again, judging between KL and J Cole's styles is like judging between a stiletto and a hatchet.

But we must judge between them. That's the beauty of this genre (for purposes of our aesthetic inquiry). It's explicitly competitive. It forces you, the audience, to declare which of two efforts is better. So we must judge which one of the two uses the various techniques of rap more effectively so as to get a sick burn in on the other. And both participants are implicitly saying, by being party to the battle, "I am better at this artistic form than that other guy."--forcing us all to define what makes for excellence in that genre. Now we don't actually have to make that judgment yet. Until he heard these lines, J Cole didn't realize he was instigating a rap-battle with KL (the reference to "big three" could be regarded as generous and complimentary). So his first entry in the exchange isn't yet fully engaged. (And he bows out after the second).

But the gauntlet has been thrown down.
I hadn't heard of any of these people last week. Not sure I'll remember them next week, but it's an interesting change of pace.

You'll tell your grandchildren you lived through this moment, if Hygro's read on it is sound.

Now if that isn't an unlikely existence. :lol:

Can only you do it? Then it's art.
That's sort-of my take.
I'd say it has a common core with art, but itself isn't art. Take this example: if you draw a scalene triangle, only you "could" draw it in that way then. If some computer tried to guess (without you knowing, so not influencing you) how the next scalene you drew would look, it'd not be able to. But the form itself isn't typically to be taken as art, despite its uniqueness and (automatic) ties to yourself.

Can only you do it? Then it's art.
That's sort-of my take.
we can do socratic here, and i don't plan to, neither do i plan for being snide, but here's just a question:

celtic folk music isn't art*?
maybe you note that a reproduction is "doing" it. still... who "did it", then?

*edit.

Last edited:
we can do socratic here, and i don't plan to, neither do i plan for being snide, but here's just a question:

celtic folk music isn't hard?
Your meaning isn't quite clear here. Could you clarify, please?

celtic folk music isn't hard?
let's put it this way: if some art commissioner said "I need some celtic piece of music", and two artists come up with the exact same piece [improbable thought it would be], then that isn't really art. It'd be unoriginal and bland. A product.

similarly I get a kick looking at modern art, particularly paintings, and sometimes thinking "hey I could've done that". Especially if it's just solid colors with lines or something.
sure you could be snide and say "but you didn't do it, did you!?", and yeah ok, but I think the point of degrading art to the point of layman simplicity is still a valid criticism. I need to be able to think "only Artist XYZ and no one else could have done that."

let's put it this way: if some art commissioner said "I need some celtic piece of music", and two artists come up with the exact same piece [improbable thought it would be], then that isn't really art. It'd be unoriginal and bland. A product.
Why would it not be art?

similarly I get a kick looking at modern art, particularly paintings, and sometimes thinking "hey I could've done that". Especially if it's just solid colors with lines or something.
sure you could be snide and say "but you didn't do it, did you!?", and yeah ok, but I think the point of degrading art to the point of layman simplicity is still a valid criticism. I need to be able to think "only Artist XYZ and no one else could have done that."
I've listened to a lot of Celtic music over the years, and seriously, I don't think I've even heard Will Millar sing the same song the same way twice, in a career spanning half a century. I very much doubt that two different artists could come up with the same piece independently.

Yeah, it's irritating that some really simple thing could end up worth $$$$$$ and hung in a museum, when it's the kind of thing your 6-year-old could come up with in art class, but it's dismissed because the kid is 6.

What comes to mind immediately is Voice of Fire.

Top Bottom