Official announcement: Hot off the presses. Next Civ game in development!!!!!!!

The lack of news is nothing new. It’s just how Firaxis is. They’ll engage with the community if they have something new to sell. If they have nothing new, they go silent as a tomb.
That tweet is actually more than they normally would do. They are bad at community relations - like talking about bugs, patches and plans for their games.
It’s either zero contact or marketing speak.

TBH I think it's 2K running Firaxis' socials.
Prolly they are in charge of marketing as well? IDK 🤷‍♂️

Civ basically markets itself.

And you know this is the case because of the disaster that Marvel's Midnight Suns was.
FYI it's a fantastic game but it did not draw in either XCOM or Civ players - perhaps I'm an exception. I absolutely love ❤️ the game but gamers were put off by the "card gameplay" which was very poorly communicated, let alone marketed. 😏

I think they thought that Marvel, Spiderman and Venom would sell the game by itself.
Arrogance TBH.

It's a real shame cos it's a super game.

In fact my prediction for "Civ next" is it will also have, similar to MMS, a "card combat" system (instead of fixed promotions for units).

The lack of news is nothing new. It’s just how Firaxis is. They’ll engage with the community if they have something new to sell. If they have nothing new, they go silent as a tomb.

That tweet is actually more than they normally would do. They are bad at community relations - like talking about bugs, patches and plans for their games.

It’s either zero contact or marketing speak.

Yeah I wasn't saying it's surprising or unexpected. Just kind of a bummer meaning it leads me to believe the game is farther off than what we had originally, and perhaps over optimistically, hoped for.

We may not have a famous actor narrating the game in Civ 7. That's my take away. Most voiced leaders could be done by nonunion speakers outside the US.

We may not have a famous actor narrating the game in Civ 7. That's my take away. Most voiced leaders could be done by nonunion speakers outside the US.
The actors and writers aren't on a general strike, they are striking against the major Hollywood film and TV producers. I believe the actor's and writer's guilds have still done work with some independent studios and producers that agreed to their terms.

The actors and writers aren't on a general strike, they are striking against the major Hollywood film and TV producers. I believe the actor's and writer's guilds have still done work with some independent studios and producers that agreed to their terms.
There's a high chance they will strike against Take 2, aka Fireaxis's parent company.

In recent years, faced with the rapid evolution of generative AI, many artists and creators have joined the anti-AI Luddite movement.
It is therefore conceivable that some of Firaxis' employees may have joined the Luddites and boycotted the development of Civ7.

In recent years, faced with the rapid evolution of generative AI, many artists and creators have joined the anti-AI Luddite movement.
It is therefore conceivable that some of Firaxis' employees may have joined the Luddites and boycotted the development of Civ7.
A Luddite movement would be attempting to destroy the AI mechanisms.

The artists and creators aren't 'anti-AI', they are anti- Not Being Paid for repeated uses of their work (streaming), and their likenesses and voices which the MICS* have said should be their property in perpetuity for any monetarization they can think of.

* = Morons In Charge of Studios)

Last edited:
Probably more they are working now for Oxide Games to create the game Ara: History Untold.

A Luddite movement would be attempting to destroy the AI mechanisms.

The artists and creators aren't 'anti-AI', they are anti- Not Being Paid for repeated uses of their work (streaming), and their likenesses and voices which the MICS* have said should be their property in perpetuity for any monetarization they can thing of.

* = Morons In Charge of Studios)
Dang it, just one extra word needed to complete "mices" 😆

People need to look up Luddite history, sometime, perhaps (in another thread, somewhere else) :D

Honestly. It was a surprising lesson for me, about a word I've used for years.

Anyhow, nah to all of that. The threat of strikes are very real (in terms of games development), very justified, and I sincerely hope a way is worked out to fairly renumerate creatives and any associated roles across the industry / industries, with the additional bonus of we as consumers getting better products out of it all.

Last edited:
People need to look up Luddite history, sometime, perhaps (in another thread, somewhere else) :D

Honestly. It was a surprising lesson for me, about a word I've used for years.
I fully agree. It's amazing how that these words get stuck in the parlance in highly inappropiate ways, isn't it. Some other words needing proper looking up are Fascist, Nazi, Communist, Christian, and Terrorist. But, I fully agree - that's for another thread...

I'm growing more and more convinced that during the development of Civ7, developers will tend to limit the next iteration, which will be kind of a spin off, to the ancient eras. The reasons to this are that a lot of the discussions on the Ideas & Suggestions sub-forum turn around ancient era, the idea in my signature included.

So I propose a title for that possible game : Ancient Civilization : Homo Sapiens.

I'm growing more and more convinced that during the development of Civ7, developers will tend to limit the next iteration, which will be kind of a spin off, to the ancient eras. The reasons to this are that a lot of the discussions on the Ideas & Suggestions sub-forum turn around ancient era, the idea in my signature included.

So I propose a title for that possible game : Ancient Civilization : Homo Sapiens.

I've been asking for an 'Ancient Civilizations' game for ten years.

Top Bottom