Official System Requirements

how much was that?

It was around $2400 before tax, but I had a $300 web coupon and about $200 more taken off after they missed my 3rd build date, so about $1900, but they are actually better opted out now for the price on HP's site. Oh, I almost forgot, I added the Intel SSD myself after delivery so add another ~$400, so back up to around $2300 pre-tax. A bit much, but we are talking about a CIV V dedicated computer!!

Great thread! Thanks.

So, what are the choices when it comes to 8-cores? Is it just the i7? Or are some of the quad-cores better nonetheless?

Can anyone tell me why this is considered a fail on Can You Run It's website?

Video Card
Minimum: 256 MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or better, 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
You Have: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics (0x9613)
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 256 MB 1.4 GB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.0

It was around $2400 before tax, but I had a $300 web coupon and about $200 more taken off after they missed my 3rd build date, so about $1900, but they are actually better opted out now for the price on HP's site. Oh, I almost forgot, I added the Intel SSD myself after delivery so add another ~$400, so back up to around $2300 pre-tax. A bit much, but we are talking about a CIV V dedicated computer!!

Yes you can get good gaming Laptops though HP has not been known in the past for that.

Three months ago I bought my ASUS RoG Series G51

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=bplbQOy6w8myYSq5

And just last week I bought my son and even faster ASUS the G73 RoG "Stealth" laptop.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

And my wife wanted a large screen laptop so I ended up buying her a Toshiba Qosmio X500, 18.4 inches of multimedia and gaming joy.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=9652&category=

So I'm pretty sure that I can run Civ5 on a few sets of hardware in my house if need be :p

CS

I got my new computer in June in anticipation of CIV V, only reason I got it. If this doesnt skip a beat then I give up.

HP ENVY 17 customizable Notebook PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Quad Core Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to3.06GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5850 Graphics w/GDDR5 memory, Direct X11 supported!!
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory
• 160GB Intel Solid State Primary Drive & 500GB 7200RPM SATA Storage Hard Drive
• 17.3" diagonal Full HD HP Ultra BrightView Infinity LED Display (1920x1080)
• Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

By the way, I am palying CIV IV BTS on HUGE worlds in the highest settings for the first time, smooth as glass, like playing with a kitten. Thank you HP for finally building a laptop around a first-rate graphics card.

be glad it hasn't broken on you, I know people who had two Envy 17" break down on them in under 30 minutes from hardware defects

Can anyone tell me why this is considered a fail on Can You Run It's website?

You Have: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics (0x9613)

Because it is pretty much the slowest halfway recent integrated graphics chip :lol:
Only the old Intels are worse, those are in a league of it's own.

Great thread! Thanks.
So, what are the choices when it comes to 8-cores? Is it just the i7? Or are some of the quad-cores better nonetheless?

There are no consumer Octocore CPUs available ATM. Most i7 have 4 physical cores and hyperthreading, meaning the operating system will see 8 logical cores, but those are not as fast as a true Octocore would be. The $1000 i7s have 6 physical cores, as have the $200 AMD Phenom II X6s. In heavily multithreaded applications a X6 can beat an equally priced i5/i7 system.
4 physical cores (no hyperthreading) is the most sensible choice for a new desktop gaming PC at the moment, meaning i5-760 or Phenom II X4s.

But it meets the requirements, and runs other games fine - how much more graphics intensive than Civ4 can Civ5 be?! They're kidding, right?

According to the respective "official" hardware requirements, Civ5 will be about one order of magnitude more demanding than Civ4.
And "meeting the requirements" as in DirectX 9c and 256MB RAM, that is about as important as a car having an engine and a steering wheel: It's essential, but it doesn't mean that a Ford model T will be suited for modern day highway traffic.

Hey there, i just joined this site and was wondering if somebody could help me out with something. I'm pretty new to the civ series in fact i only started playing civ4 a couple of months ago. It was one of TMIT's let's play videos on on yt that actually got me interested. I definitely want to get civ5 and i think my laptop is good enough for me to play it but i'm not entirely sure.
Here's what it says on my laptop:
intel core i3 processor 330M(2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB)
intel graphics media accelerator HD up to 1274 MB DVMT
3BG memory
250 GB HDD
DVD super multi DL drive
Acer Nplify 802,11b/g/n
6-cell Li-ion battery
It's also either got direct x 10.00 or 9.00 but can't remember which and it can run sims 3 fine if that helps.
Really apreciate any info on this matter, thanks.

But it meets the requirements, and runs other games fine - how much more graphics intensive than Civ4 can Civ5 be?! They're kidding, right?

ATI's naming scheme indicates chipset generation, the target market, then enhancements.
Enthusiast: x9xx, x8xx
Mainstream: x7xx, x6xx, x5xx, x4xx
Budget: x3xx, x2xx, x1xx
When two cards are only a generation apart, the target market matters more. A good rule of thumb is that the budget cards are equal in performance to the mainstream cards of the previous generation, while the enthusiast cards are equal in performance to the mainstream cards of the next generation. Thus, the 3100 is only roughly equal to the 2400. Further, the 3100 uses system memory, which is much slower than dedicated video memory. Finally, the XT suffix indicates this is the 2600 on steroids.
tl;dr version: 2600XT > 3100 even though the numbers seem to suggest otherwise.

Damn. I'm not going to be able to play this game. :(

I have a 3.8 HT GHZ single core processor.

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with a techie question. I tested my laptop on can you run it. I passed the min specs except for CPU speed, where the response was:

Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
You Have: 2.00 GHz

I have an Intel T6400 dual core 2.00 GHz, so I can't see why this is a fail as it is above the 1.8 GHz. Can anyone explain this or is it a glitch on can you run it?

It's a shame that graphics seem to have become more and more important in Civ - I much preferred it when you could run it on anything!

Thanks for any help

I'll point out that barely passing the minimum requirements is not going to give you a pleasant experience. Always shoot for recommended, otherwise it will run like a 3-legged dog.

So I tried on Canurunit and my cpu meets all recomended specs cept for graphics card

I have a ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB, how far off is that from a recomended card? How much a graphics drop will I notice? Will I still be able to play on the highest settings?

(the rest of my cpu blows rec's out of water, quad core, 8gb ddr3 ram, etc)

Top Bottom