Oh, Look, I'm Caesar Again

Blumonster

Chieftain
Oh, Look, I'm Caesar Again
:king:
Adds several new leaders to the list in the victory ranking screen. And makes achieving the top ranking/leader extremely challenging.

Gives you something to shoot for again after you've gotten the hang of the game and every win ranks you as Caesar (or if you're new to Civ V or the Civ series, prevents you from maxing out the ranks too soon). The required victory points for ranks have been increased significantly, and more leaders have been added, so that as you improve your victories, there are still new ranks to achieve...and maybe you'll get to see some of those ranks you probably just flew over. Works with other mods or downloadable content if you want to enable it as a general ranking system for any game you play.

I need feedback, so let me know what you think. And I'd love to debate/discuss leaders if anyone has any opinions on my choices.

Downloadable from the MODBrowser

:move:Notes:
I got tired of seeing Augustus at the top, so I put three ranks above him, but I think they could certainly give him a run for his money. With any of the ranks I changed or added, I tried to make my criteria "What was accomplished under their leadership?" and "How great were the long-term effects?"

Included with the mod is a text file that contains a more detailed explanation, my email address (if you're a guest or don't feel like posting), some tips on increasing your victory points, and a little known secret about points FINALLY REVEALED! :joke: Actually it couldn't be that big a secret or they wouldn't have put it in a viewable game file...but it's not in the manual so most people probably don't know about it.

(By the way, I don't know if anyone might be offended by the top spot, but please don't be. If you ever manage to attain it and read the quote, I think you'll see that although I put it in as kind of a humorous (but accurate!) ranking, it's ultimately presented with proper respect.)

So I wanna hear how tough it is now. Any complaints are welcome. :p

Sounds interesting.

I think you could probably expand a lot more though, as per Civ II which had IIRC almost 100 entries?

Yeah, I definitely could. But I spent a month on my last mod and didn't get any feedback, so before I invested too much time into this I wanted to see if there was any interest. If it seems like there's a desire out there to have a really long list, it'd be fun to do something like that, especially with other people's input. This simple addition was mostly put together just because I wanted to have some new goals again and thought the ranking system in Civ V was just too easy. I had a hard time getting the top spot in previous Civ versions, but got Caesar the second time I played in Civ V. And I didn't know about that other mod. I played a couple before but never really explored what was out there...I missed a lot!

Sounds good to me.

So what leaders did you add?

I think it might take some of the fun out of it if I listed them all :p, but a few I added are Vlad the Impaler, Queen Victoria, Pancho Villa, Genghis Khan (whose addition to the list seems a bit deflated now with the downloadable content...I was finalizing this when it came out, but I left him in anyway 'cause there aren't many who could rank as high as Augustus), and several others.:)

I like the idea! Anything to make the victory screen a little more exciting (ending a game of Civ has to be one of the most anti-climactic and depressing gaming experiences ever).

I always thought this system could be expanded a bit, maybe ranking you against historical leaders based on what you did as well as how well you did it, i.e. the same score could result in Sun Tsu or Gandhi, depending on how you got there.

But! That's not the aim here! I think just having an even harder rank to gun for is a great idea!

Good Idea. I always thought that winning in small map and on easy level should never give you Ceasar grade. And yesterday I did finish a nice game and get a Gorbatshev score:) Nice.

I like the idea! Anything to make the victory screen a little more exciting (ending a game of Civ has to be one of the most anti-climactic and depressing gaming experiences ever).

I always thought this system could be expanded a bit, maybe ranking you against historical leaders based on what you did as well as how well you did it, i.e. the same score could result in Sun Tsu or Gandhi, depending on how you got there.

But! That's not the aim here! I think just having an even harder rank to gun for is a great idea!

That's a good idea. Actually, speaking of Gandhi, I started a mod that would make Gandhi more historically accurate--I thought it was just too way off base to have Gandhi engaging in warfare. He got pissed off at me during one game and actually attacked me--Gandhi attacked me! LOL My idea was to make it impossible for him to declare war, per se, and instead of units have Idealists or something like that who would "spread the word of pacifism" (thereby taking over a city--which might be just semantics, but it would make me feel better). And also instead of having defensive units or buildings, in case of attack, he would have Passive Resistors who make control of the city extremely difficult. Anyway, your idea would work great depending on the leader, like you said--pursuing a path of pacifism with Gandhi or war with Sun Tsu could rate your score according to how well you played that leader's agenda, instead of just how much territory you have. That would be cool. There is a way to assign victory points to certain things, but I haven't quite figured out how to implement it yet (it's not actually used by the current version of the game, but it's there sort of lying dormant in the game files). I'm a bit burned out on Civ V right now, but if no one else comes up with anything while I take a break from the game, I'd like to see if I could do something like that.

Ive been using this and will continue to, no problems except the way I play I will never get to the top :)

Top Bottom