Okay, RTS or not?

tcjsavannah

Wow, it's been a while...
I've spent an hour searching the posts here.. can someone give me a definitive answer on whether or not Civ IV will be real-time strategy or turn-based?

Thanks a bunch.

Then you have not been searching deep enough at all. But I'll tell you.
Like all previous Civ Series, it'll be Turn-Based.

For more features of Civ IV look at my sig.

(Booo RTS games! :cringe: )

Thanks. I found a lot of references to RTS, but nothing that out-and-out said "Yes" or "No"

That's what I get for being away from here for a while, I guess.

And I agree on RTS. If Civ IV was going to be RTS, I would not buy it.

There is no way that Civilization 4 will be an RTS.

(Edit: Holy smokes, slip of the century. Originally that said "there's no way that civilization 4 will be TBS". Allow me to express praise for proofreading.)

I'm not exactly sure where you got that idea, except by a few suggestions that draw on RTS games (like resources). There are even fewer people who want Civ to actually become an RTS game.

You might want to edit that, dh_epic :-D

Yeah, he left out the word "not".

There is no way that Civ4 will not be turn-based.

RTS games are cool, in my view, but Civ is not nor will it become an RTS. The folks at Firaxis who thought it should move that way left the company to make Rise of Nations. Sid felt differently, and the team in there now believes the way Sid does. End of story.

- Sirian

I think Soren even piped on on this a few months ago, saying that CIv would remain TBS.

You know, the ONLY RTS's that I have ever liked are those which could behave like pseudo-TBS's (War of the Worlds, SuperPower 1 and 2 and Hearts of Iron 1 and 2 all come to mind in this Genre!). i.e., they allow you to make decisions and implement 'policy' whilst either paused or VERY SLOW! The other thing which defined these games was that the policies you implemented (troop movement, production etc) all occured at VERY specific times! Games like Rise of Nation, though, REALLY Bit the BIG ONE IMHO!!
As much as I liked the aforementioned games, though, they are not a PATCH on Civ3, IMHO ;) :)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I've enjoyed a few RTSes. RTSes are good for war games, because war is kind of a fast action thing that needs more nuance to time than turns. Of course, I can't usually enjoy multiplayer against half the people I play, because I'm not committed enough to it to find the perfect build order and race through the game with hot keys. Not that it's unfair, but I just think it's lame playing a real time strategy game where their strategy is to "be so super efficient that I can rush them with tanks when they're just building their first soldier". And I'm not committed enough to learn the ways to match their efficiency.

Strangely enough, I always end up committed enough to Civ to do stuff like micromanage my workers ad nauseum, or try to trade with people every turn, or try to hit the shield requirement for a building with no remainder, or lower my science rate on the last turn of research. I guess I'm obsessed... but only obsessed enough to win at Deity, not Sid.

I think I'm a little disillusioned with how much speedy-micromanagement can trump strategy in most games.

Top Bottom