Opinions on the "AI"

bdemz

Chieftain
The "AI" is broken. This game is very pretty, but not challenging at all. The other players just make dumb mistakes and cannot manage any change of strategy.

Playing Rise and Fall (Immortal)

I have won every game I have played and basically I feel there is actually no "AI". Examples below :

Playing as Pericles Island Masses...going for Culture Victory
- Over the course of the game, I never engaged anyone in combat
- Was able to earn about 75% of great works (either through GP/trades or stealing)
- It was obvious by about 1600 or so, I was going to win a culture victory at this rate yet no one seemed to care or attempted to invade. They were even trading me some of their artifact/relics for resources.
- I was so greatly behind in science, that I was guarding my cities with Warriors and crossbowmen. I saw armadas and armies just pass me by on their way to other pursuits.
- I won in 1900 with a Culture victory

Playing as Laurento Continents...not going for any particular vicoty just winging it
- I was about middle of the road in all victory conditions the entire game.
- I saw Kongo was going to win a culture victory so I built up and small army and invaded. I was able to take most cities/wonders/great works with literally no resistance
- Won Culture Victory in 1950

Playing as Austrailia...won Science Victory 1970

I have only lost 1 game playing at this level.....

This games "AI" is very broken, there can be no explanation/arguement that it is not. There is no resistance offered for any victory condition

Can anyone help me get a better challenge?

Playing Rise and Fall (Immortal)

Well, Deity is more challenging than Immortal, so start there. Also, winning a space race by 1970 is actually pretty late. Try to see how fast you can win the game. That adds some challenge and replayability to it as you are trying to figure out the quickest way to win.

Yeah try to play a little more effective. Maybe you will have more fun

It is very bad. That leads me to another question. When does the ai actually win if you leave them alone?On emperor I don't think they can until 350 if they're doing good so you cannot really lose to anything besides a time victory but I would expect immortal to be harder.

It is very bad. That leads me to another question. When does the ai actually win if you leave them alone?On emperor I don't think they can until 350 if they're doing good so you cannot really lose to anything besides a time victory but I would expect immortal to be harder.

There is an autoplay mod, so you can set them up and let the AIs get on with it.

Game developers always have the (unsolvable) problem to design one AI which suits players in different extremes like :
- the peacefull player who wants to play a full game without war and
- the belligerent player who is disappointed if AI does not team up to stop him from winning.

There really should be an option at the start of the game where players can choose AI aggressiveness out of a spectrum between "always peacefull" and "total war".

I have only lost 1 game playing at this level.....

This games "AI" is very broken, there can be no explanation/arguement that it is not. There is no resistance offered for any victory condition

I am swooning in awe that you were able to defeat a computer game that can be downloaded from Steam in minutes. What an achievement! :bowdown:

Seriously? Are we really going to rehash this for the umpteenth time? By most standards, its not even a *true* AI. Any determined player with a grade school education should be able to *beat* the game. It doesn't 'think'. It doesn't learn or remember. It simply responds to simple actions and situations based on how the programmers instructed it. It ain't IBM's Watson, for crying out loud. The human, however, can plan and learn and adjust and do all these other amazing things because......HUMAN! Duh!

So my advice to you, since you believe the game is broken, is to stop playing it. Want a real challenge? Play chess. Otherwise, if you are not creative enough to come up with your own challenges within the myriad features offered in Civ6, then you need a game that can just lead you by the hand.

you want a real challenge? then here you go:

no autosaves. no quicksaves. no ragequits. no backtracking. no reloads to avoid wonder waste, or to save high level units from a bad move. restart from turn 1, if you must. but once you hit Next Turn, see the game out.

I haven't managed it yet.

I am swooning in awe that you were able to defeat a computer game that can be downloaded from Steam in minutes. What an achievement! :bowdown:

Seriously? Are we really going to rehash this for the umpteenth time? By most standards, its not even a *true* AI. Any determined player with a grade school education should be able to *beat* the game. It doesn't 'think'. It doesn't learn or remember. It simply responds to simple actions and situations based on how the programmers instructed it. It ain't IBM's Watson, for crying out loud. The human, however, can plan and learn and adjust and do all these other amazing things because......HUMAN! Duh!

So my advice to you, since you believe the game is broken, is to stop playing it. Want a real challenge? Play chess. Otherwise, if you are not creative enough to come up with your own challenges within the myriad features offered in Civ6, then you need a game that can just lead you by the hand.

Thanks Buddy!! Very helpful....Love your use of the word DUH....Intelligent

I am simply asking for advice on how to make it tougher or play a different challenge

If you make a thread about Deity AI, then ok. I can see your point. But why do people complain about Immortal, Emperor etc? If it's too easy and it ruins the fun for you, then move up a level. Simple.

It sounds like you can still learn a lot about the game if you win science in the year 1970. I'm pretty sure that's not possible on Deity although I've never played such a long game. Isn't it fun for you to play more efficiently or try different strategies and civs? Go for some crazy ideas and see if it's working or not? As long as you are learning, Deity is fine imo. Island maps might always be an issue though. I'd personally avoid those if you are looking for a challenge.

(1) Play deity
(2) Play on a small, overcrowded map
(3) Play multiplayer

I am simply asking for advice on how to make it tougher or play a different challenge

If you believe the game is broken, then there is nothing to offer. Which is why I suggested you try chess. It is pure strategy, no random chance, and even the simplest AI can offer a challenge because the game is so eloquently simple.

you want a real challenge? then here you go:

no autosaves. no quicksaves. no ragequits. no backtracking. no reloads to avoid wonder waste, or to save high level units from a bad move. restart from turn 1, if you must. but once you hit Next Turn, see the game out.

I haven't managed it yet.

Honestly (without any intention of bragging), I do all that and still win. Not that I am one of the power players either, the closest that could be categorized as an exploit that I use is the extremely powerful spies. Once I have my spies running, there has not been an AI yet that can win even if they are way ahead in say Space Race. Are spies overpowered? Maybe, I don't know... are they fun? Hell yes! Are they an exploit? I don't know.

Point is, with the myriad of options available in Civ6 comes fun, but also a very inept AI (although better now...). I am not justifying FXS for their clear underachievement in AI for this game, but I also understand that ONE person alone is in an uphill battle to try and adapt/fix this AI to the huge amount of ways of playing/winning... even more so if said guy comes from a completely different type of games; IIRC, his expertise was Starcraft 2 AI... (correct me if I am wrong)... see the point? Apply SC2-like AI philosophy to a TBS game like Civ and you get, well, what can be seen now (why do you think the Civ6 AI is so good at rushing in the early eras, including barbs, but then falls apart...? Exactly: zerg rush AI, ala Starcraft...).

Honestly (without any intention of bragging), I do all that and still win

You missed out the word always. Try @unpossible251 advice but as England deity, standard everything, no advanced options. I can guarantee you will not win every game. It’s just bs bravado is you say you do,

Just for lols tonight I played Nubia for the first time, it is ridiculously easy with a great early civ... but when playing with a bad civ against all these good civs you can just be wrecked, no restarts, not turn replays.

If you make a thread about Deity AI, then ok. I can see your point. But why do people complain about Immortal, Emperor etc? If it's too easy and it ruins the fun for you, then move up a level. Simple.

It sounds like you can still learn a lot about the game if you win science in the year 1970. I'm pretty sure that's not possible on Deity although I've never played such a long game. Isn't it fun for you to play more efficiently or try different strategies and civs? Go for some crazy ideas and see if it's working or not? As long as you are learning, Deity is fine imo. Island maps might always be an issue though. I'd personally avoid those if you are looking for a challenge.

Valid points. However. I play Emperor an no higher. The higher you go. The less fun it is. Your build options are limited. Many of us want to keep the fun in the game. So having an functional AI is important and this post is accurate.

Higher difficulties don't make the ai any better. Plus it contorts the game and makes certain things impossible like religions.

Someone who couldn't win a game of civ has much as a right to complain about the ai as someone that wins deity blindfolded.... Also they have been trying to improve the ai so those "take it or play on deity or leave it" comments are absurd.

My personal suggestion is to play on a bigger map. The default of small is not very balanced it seems.

Last edited:
Valid points. However. I play Emperor an no higher. The higher you go. The less fun it is. Your build options are limited. Many of us want to keep the fun in the game. So having an functional AI is important and this post is accurate.

If the AI was "functional" as in giving the player a tough challenge, then your build options would be limited in Emperor, too. Just as in multi-player, a strong AI would force you into optimal play to avoid losing. Would that impact the fun, as you view it?

The game currently lets you explore many different paths and still win. The stronger the AI gets, the fewer the number of those paths that will lead to victory.

Higher difficulties don't make the ai any better. Plus it contorts the game and makes certain things impossible like religions.

In R&F, religion is now viable in deity. Yeah, it sets you back, but for those looking for a challenge, it's rather fun (as I view fun, as it puts you in a position where you need to make good decisions based on what the game is throwing at you in your current circumstances).

Top Bottom