Overused phrases in Civ reviews

Let us not forget "the most accessible Civ to date"...

...they make it seem like Civ 1 was a pen and paper game which you had to mail your moves into Sid himself....

The main thing that bugs me about these reviews is that, although they reference the other Civ games, their tones imply that this is the first time Civ has ever appeared. I realize that someone who's never heard of Civ is reading the reviews, but they don't do that for Halo.

"Halo: Reach is a game where the player shoots aliens in order to advance the storyline."

See what I mean? You'd never see this in Halo reviews, yet such phrasing happens all the time in Civ reviews. It's just weird.

Since the game is going to be released in less than a week, I thought it might be fun to figure out which phrases/jokes are over-used in "Civ" reviews:

"Just one more turn" as in ... I almost did not get my review into my editor because I was up all night saying "Just one more turn"....ba da dum...

I totally agree using the phrase 'just one more turn' is lame
*runs away to change signature* :crazyeye:

The main thing that bugs me about these reviews is that, although they reference the other Civ games, their tones imply that this is the first time Civ has ever appeared. I realize that someone who's never heard of Civ is reading the reviews, but they don't do that for Halo.

"Halo: Reach is a game where the player shoots aliens in order to advance the storyline."

See what I mean? You'd never see this in Halo reviews, yet such phrasing happens all the time in Civ reviews. It's just weird.

This is why I stopped reading/watching any review/update in the past few months. I couldn't stand being reintroduced to Civ over and over again and being told things I already knew!

It's because it's "the most accessible Civ to date", so it's supposed to attract new players who don't know what Civ is about.

"Three frame animations"
- used every time by too many german game magazines ... despite evidence to the contrary since Civ3.

Top Bottom