Palace and city view when using edited/modded maps.

MechaShadowV2

Chieftain
I always thought that civ 3 complete got rid of the palace and city view (where you can see your wonders) but i saw in a blurb on a very old thread elsewhere when trying to get something else to work that it has to do with scenarios in civ 3 complete. Since i like to play with modded/new units, my games are scenarios. I saw some saying there is a way to get around this and others saying you can't. All of these posts were years old so i thought I'd just make a new post asking about it. If i can make it so that maps with edited rules can have the palace view and city view, and someone know how to do it, I would appreciate it very much if they can tell me how to do it.

Welcome to CivFanatics!

The only way to get the palace and city view to work with modded games is to replace the original conquests.biq in the main Conquests-folder with a modded one and launching the game through 'New Game' or 'Quick Start' options instead of the 'Civ3 Content' option, though you'll of course have to provide city view images for any new buildings you've added if you want them to be visible. Remember to backup the original conquests.biq by renaming it, for example, to conquests-orig.biq, so you always have the vanilla .biq to fall back on if something goes wrong, and remember that the modded version has to be named conquests.biq to work when you place it in the Conquests-folder, so you might want a backup of that as well in the Scenario-folder, for example.

Welcome to CivFanatics!

The only way to get the palace and city view to work with modded games is to replace the original conquests.biq in the main Conquests-folder with a modded one and launching the game through 'New Game' or 'Quick Start' options instead of the 'Civ3 Content' option, though you'll of course have to provide city view images for any new buildings you've added if you want them to be visible. Remember to backup the original conquests.biq by renaming it, for example, to conquests-orig.biq, so you always have the vanilla .biq to fall back on if something goes wrong, and remember that the modded version has to be named conquests.biq to work when you place it in the Conquests-folder, so you might want a backup of that as well in the Scenario-folder, for example.
ok, thank you, I will try and look into that, as far as things added so far its just units, so I think it will be ok. Again, thank you for this.

I have the same problem. There is no aerial view of the cities. There is also no view of the palace with F9, construction events don't even occur when the people are happy. I don't understand the solution of the modified file "Conquests.biq", it doesn't work for me. Can someone explain it to me, please, or tell me another solution? Played in CIVILIZATION III COMPLETE 1.22 version of STEAM.

Greetings!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 4
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 4
The city view and palace construction only work when launching the game through the "New Game" (Nueva Partida) or "Quick Start" (Inicio Rápido) options, hence why you need to either replace or modify the "conquests.biq" file in your "\Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete\Conquests" folder.

First, copy the original "conquests.biq" and paste it into the same folder to make a back-up copy in-case something goes wrong. You can see here that I have named the copy "conquests_orig.biq", orig is short for original.
Spoiler :
1.png

Then, either modify the original "conquests.biq" and save it with a different name, or copy a modded .biq from elsewhere into the "\Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete\Conquests" folder. Here, I have modified the original "conquests.biq" so that the Palace makes one citizen content, just like a Temple would.
Spoiler :
2.png

And here, you can see that I saved the new "conquests.biq" as "conquests_modded.biq", because the "conquests.biq" doesn't allow modifying it, so you need to save it as a new file.
Spoiler :
3.png

Finally, make sure you have a back-up of the original "conquests.biq" (again, mine is called "conquests_orig.biq"), and then delete the "conquests.biq" and rename your modded one to "conquests.biq". Now you should be able to use the "New Game" or "Quick Start" to start a game and still get the city view and palace construction options. As you can see here, the palace is indeed modified to give a happy face, and I still have the City View button available, though slightly modified since I have CCM graphics installed.
Spoiler :
4.png

And lastly, I even got the palace upgrade to show up relatively early, so that also works as intended.
Spoiler :
5.png

Just to re-iterate, you cannot get the City View through Civ-Content (Contenido de Civ), but if there is a certain mod or scenario you want the palace or city view in, this is a way of getting it. Just bear in mind that any new buildings won't show up in city view, unless the modder has provided the graphics for them, which most of them haven't.

You can find the download of CCM 2.5, together with many screenshots here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ccm2-50.27773/
The CCM main thread can be found here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ccm2-epic-mod.625812/

In any case make the back up files as advised in the CCM installation advisor. The zipped new mainfiles have a size of 3,91 GB.

The city view and the palace graphics were disabled by Firaxis for mods and scenarios in the Civ 3 Content folder. Firaxis only wrote the following in their C3C readme file:

* City view is disabled while playing the Conquests. This was done because the creation of art assets to fit every scenario was considered a lower priority than expanded gameplay.
* City view art for the New Wonders do not appear in the City View screen. Sorry.

These limitations are not set by Firaxis to the C3C standard epic game, played by the C3C main files. CCM 2.5 modifies these main files.

Besides the city view, the palace and the thousands of units in CCM, that can be easily used in every C3C mod or scenario, the most important advantage of modified C3C mainfiles in my eyes is, that games can be easily started again on the same randomly created world map and the map seed of the last map is shown in the starting screen (what is not possible for normal mods and scenarios).

Furs start civs 180 map-seed 174425037.jpg

On the other side some civers had problems with the installation of that mod and the modified text files filled gaps in other mods and scenarios in the Content and Conquests folders with CCM information, that could be misleading in those other mods and scenarios. CCM 3 will be released soon. It will be a normal upload version as a C3C mod for the content folder, meaning there are no more city view and palace graphics enabled in the game play. The main reason besides the facts listed above is, that CCM 3 will be connected with the Flintlock mod and I don´t want to press the configuration of the Flintlock mod to mods and scenarios created by other modders.

So if you want a C3C epic game with the palace view, the city view and the map seed enabled, you should download CCM 2.5 soon, as in the near future it will be replaced by CCM 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom