Patch is live

Saw this post by Sarah on Reddit. I thought I’d post it because I didn’t see it yet on CF.

FXS_Sarah

1h
A designer has asked me to share this with you. Hope it helps!

Previously, DOW and capturing cities had the same Warmonger cost, and razing cities was always 3 times that cost. However, this resulted in some nasty situations where a player could get into a war with no Warmonger penalty (for instance, via an Emergency or a war of Liberation) and receive no penalty for the duration of that war. We’ve decoupled the DOW, capture city, and raze Warmongering penalties to give us more flexibility and help us avoid these situations.

Since we have this extra flexibility, we took the chance to make some changes to certain Casus Belli to further differentiate them:

Holy War Raze penalty decreased from 150 to 50

Liberation War Capture penalty increased from 0 to 100

Liberation War Raze penalty increased from 0 to 600

Protectorate War Capture penalty increased from 0 to 100

Protectorate War Raze penalty increased from 0 to 300

Colonial War Raze penalty increased from 150 to 300

Territorial War Raze penalty decreased from 225 to 150

Golden Age War Raze penalty increased from 75 to 300

EDIT: I am the worst at formatting, sorry.
This is the explanation

Holy War Raze penalty decreased from 150 to 50

Does this mean that razing cities during a holy war has the same penalty as capturing them? That would be quite interesting.

Is 100 the base line? So if a casus belli says all warmonger penalties are halved, it's a penalty of 50 per city capture?

Does this mean that razing cities during a holy war has the same penalty as capturing them? That would be quite interesting.

LOL I completely missed the implications of this. Amusingly, the city to be razed wouldn't even necessarily need to be filled with followers of a different faith ...

I've just tried multiplayer teams with the new patch, and it seems envoys upon meeting city states for the first time is removed. Anyone else experienced this in multiplayer or otherwise?

Edit: Also, open borders between team members is not default, and so you must renew OB-agreements all the time. Kinda annoying I must say.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the alert function? I've been playing a peaceful game without barbarians so haven't had a chance to check it.

Has anyone tried the alert function? I've been playing a peaceful game without barbarians so haven't had a chance to check it.

I've found that free city workers trigger it :D

If you look at the timeline at the end of the game after a cultural victory (which happens at the end of your turn), the in between turn will play in the background behind the timeline and you'll hear sounds of combat (there was a war going on in my late game) and gossip messages. :D

Noticed they forgot to change "Identity" to Loyalty
20180309234402_1.jpg

In my first game after the patch, I see no change concerning the weak city states. 35 rounds on normal speed and already four city states gone (on small map size). Just cannon fodder for the AI...

Last edited:
Has it been mentioned that the new "elevated position" thing doesn't work as intended? All tiles flat land, I'm able to shoot over woods and rainforest before having walls.

In my first game after the patch, I see no change concerning the weak city states. 35 rounds on normal speed and already four city states gone (on small map size). Just cannon fodder for the AI...

That's odd because in my game there was only one lost in the same time that 4 or 5 go pre-patch

Does the new patch crash saved games? I read this last night:

"[UPDATE] We have updated the game to correct a reported crash issue when loading some saves created before the March 2018 Update. If you are still experiencing this issue, we recommend attempting to load a previous save that was not loaded/saved on the initial March update, or start a new game. We want everyone to have the best experience possible and will continue supporting the title with future updates.”

I played a saved game for a little bit last night and I didn’t see anything wrong with it, but again it was for a little while and I really don’t want to find out I cannot finish the game later.

Has it been mentioned that the new "elevated position" thing doesn't work as intended? All tiles flat land, I'm able to shoot over woods and rainforest before having walls.
Really. That would be even better in my opinion. I hate those silly warrior rushes on Deity. ^^

The patch notes for all updates through February 2018 can be found here. Version #'s are:
  • 1.0.0.26 - Initial Release - October 21, 2016
  • 1.0.0.38 - 'Fall 2016' Update Patch - November 18, 2016
  • 1.0.0.56 - 'Winter 2016' Update Patch - December 20, 2016
  • 1.0.0.110 - 'Australian Summer 2017' Update Patch - February 23, 2017
  • 1.0.0.129 - 'Spring 2017' Update Patch - March 27, 2017
  • 1.0.0.167 - 'Summer 2017' Update Patch - July 27, 2017
  • 1.0.0.194 - 'Fall 2017' Update Patch - October 19, 2017
  • 1.0.0.216 - Base Game Update - Pre-R&F - February 8, 2018
  • 1.0.0.220 - Hotfix Patch - Post-R&F - February 13, 2018
  • 1.0.0.229 - 'March 2018 Developer Update' Patch - March 8, 2018

Sorry to ask but what's the update version # for this patch? I can't find it on the notes themselves.

It is 1.0.0.229 - 'March 2018 Developer Update' Patch - March 8, 2018. You can find all of the version numbers in the first quote or in https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/version-history-with-version-numbers.619811/

I've just tried multiplayer teams with the new patch, and it seems envoys upon meeting city states for the first time is removed. Anyone else experienced this in multiplayer or otherwise?

Edit: Also, open borders between team members is not default, and so you must renew OB-agreements all the time. Kinda annoying I must say.

On single player you still get a free envoy for being the first to encounter a city state (Deity, standard speed, continents, though none of those should matter).

Top Bottom