PBEM Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

@Elephantium, as Sima Wain stated, if the 48h turn frame is passed, i will make the AI play the default human turn and we will move along as planned at all times, so its up to people to keep up or get a replacement player set up from start.

So after one year there will be at least 12 to 15 turns played, but they will be substance turns since we will be playing with Accelerated Production ON and tweaked raw materials/civil engineers/unit auto production times halved.

@Princeof Persia - I´m sorry, non colonial will be AI, i believe it´s best to control the money flow between humans, you will thank me in time.

Download the files of AoI into your "hardrive:\...Civ3\Conquests\Scenarios" folder, extract them, after extraction you should have a AoI folder containing all the art, sounds, text and extras you need to play the scenario, if you want to try it on your own, just launch civ3conquests or complete and go to "Civ-content" on the game menu bar, browse towords the AoI4.1-31civs_FULL.biq and lauch it, voilá!

Dude what are you doing to the scenario? If raw materials spawn faster then victory point locations are worth proportionally less. The whole balance is messed up.

Also why force players to do weaker Europeans when there's stronger non imperial countries? A stronger country outside of Europe may be more desirable to play as than a weak one within. Again I would like to know how many turns of each of the 31 you've played in the scenario.

I'm gonna take USA if everyone is ok with that :)
Have never played this scenario, i hope it's balanced enough.

I don't know if messing with rm times is a good idea. There will probably end up being a huge backlog. As it is, in a regular game I have difficulty getting all my rm back home.

To anyone who hasn't played this scenario before, I highly recommend you play at least a few turns as your chosen civ and dive into the detailed civilopedia(especially Klyden's strategy guides for your civ) to get some practice. It takes a while to get used to the style of gameplay, but it is certainly worth it.

Also, I personally have no problem with anyone playing as say, China or Brazil, if they so desire. China especially would be a nice counterweight fo Japan.

Have never played this scenario, i hope it's balanced enough.

Good to have you, Sting. The scenario has a level of development equalled by very few user-created games. But it's not 'balanced' in terms of all positions being equal. Since it's based on history, some civs have serious advantages over others (as outlined in post 1). That's a big part of the fun, though.

I don't know if messing with rm times is a good idea. There will probably end up being a huge backlog. As it is, in a regular game I have difficulty getting all my rm back home.

Rick, I'm with TomYo and BT on this. I know that Accelerated Production and faster RM are meant to expedite what is going to be a very long game, but since not all civs are equal in the game, this will only make the strong countries stronger. Much playtesting was done to make this game balanced, and if we try altering it, it could lead to a lot of problems.

China especially would be a nice counterweight fo Japan.

Hey now! :) We definitely need someone to claim Russia, and of course, the Big Dog.

Ok..i won´t change a single thing from the singleplayers experience to the PBEM version, i don´t want the scenario to feel unbalanced, since work as been done by the creator.

China is NOT a colonial power....i would rather play the Balcans then China...but hey if someone REALLY wants China, no biggy by me...

I think the counterweight to Japan is USA, Russia, England, Lowlands and French, but you think China is a necessary one....i´m open for it.

Post #1 rules update, as always i´m open to sugestions.

United states and Russia make strong adversaries to Japan. Britain and others have strong pacific presence. I personally don't see how accelerated production would have as big of an impact as changing victory points. Has it been tested or even thought of before? The AC covers all bases in the game, unlike a victory point change that only effects half the needed aspects.

It's true the Balcans are better off than China as the China spot has no hope of getting any significant victory points.

Since there will only be 12-15turns played in a year by a player, accelerated production could reduce that time in half in order to make the PBEM more interesting, but it´s up to players...

But no accel prod is also fine, i don´t care.

Effects that accelerated production may have on gameplay (based on my inexperienced speculation):

• Auto spawn military units from wonders may have their relative effect reduced proportional to the AC increase of other military units. A given marine would have possibly twice as many infantry to kill in its way to capture a hypothetical coastal city.

• A country overseas may find it easier to defend themselves from the invasion of a distant empire. This would be because during the given transport time the invading army needs to reach its destination, the defending country would be able to build a larger defending force during the same time period than it would without AC.

• Naval warfare may have a relatively large effect from the clipping of costs. A battleship may be able to be built in the same amount of turns as a torpedo boat when without AC the battleship may take more turns than the torpedo boat to build. To provide example with the bonus let's say either boat would take only 2 turns while without the bonus the battleship takes 5 and the torpedo boat takes 3. So in this scenario, it may amplify the dominance of the empires with strong capital ships.

• Technology would not be effected much. After the first turns and populations fill up, most countries will be going at 4 turns per tech with or without the bonus.

If we are unable to find 14 players might it be possible to go with less? Certain empires probably should be filled as a requirement, smaller empires and nation states would have to be left to computers. We can easily agree on which empires are most prominent: Britain, US, Russia, France, Germany & Austria, Japan.. The next tier would have to be discussed if these are filled. I suggest implementing this if we are waiting forever to get like 2 more players.

Basically change players to fill strongest empires first and start game faster.

Technically we can accept newcomers at any point in the game, thanks to the program...

The introduction and rearranging of players to the game will cause diplomatic confusion. A change of player is far more dramatic than the passing of a crown in history. Do we want to mix musical chairs into our game of chess?

True.

Alright, in my opinion, if no one else joins by the end of the week, we start, maybe putting TomYo as Russia and Rick as Britain? If everyone is okay with it, that is. I don't think Austria-Hungary needs a human player.

Top Bottom