Peaceful Domination victory/Domination without capturing single Capital

I was wondering is it possible to win domination victory without even declaring war/capturing Capital on standard victory conditions?

Peaceful way:
I see it might be possible in some rare cases. Let's say there is three players. You, Mongolia and Aztecs. If Aztecs capture mongolian Capital and Mongols Aztecs Capital player would get domination victory without declaring war!

Non-peaceful and more realistic way:
You let Mongols capture Aztecs Capital. After that you declare war on mongols and surround former Aztecs Capital with your troops so Aztecs cant get it back. After that you destroy mongolian troops and also weaken all their cities and maybe capture other than Capital. After that you see the Aztecs marching to Mongols Capital and help them capture it. That is domination victory!

If AI loses it's Capital and then conquers it back is that AI in control of it's Capital again in terms of victory condition?

If I understand your scenario, the two other civs conquer each other's capitals, leaving you as the only civ still in possession of its capital? I believe that satisfies the Domination victory condition.

As you note, it would be kind of tricky to make it happen without your having declared war. (The Domination VC can also be met if a CS captures a capital -- happens once in a while.)

I believe a civ that recaptures its capital is back in the Domination game, but haven't verified it (every time I recall having seen a civ recapture its capital, it loses it again fairly soon, and for good -- the population loss from successive sackings makes them easy prey).

If aiming for a true peaceful domination win so not wishing to engage in the war yourself, an alternative would be to donate troops to a CS allied to the aggressor, if there's one in close proximity. Use open borders to surround the capital (of Aztecs in the scenario).

yeah, lots of city-states and pump out units to give to city-states, or/and use troops yourself for clear enemy units for your allies to take the capital.

It's funny, domination victory is the only victory you can have without you doing anything. It can even happen before you discover any other players.

It'd be surreal to just discover astronomy to go out of your continent and then a splash screen says: You are victorious!

I'd like to see an LP where someone tries to actually make the AI win for them. That would be great.

with 3 player it is quite easy (in medium levels like king)

Select you, Monty, Ramses, Pangea.
Outtech them.
Wait until one capture the other C.
Suppy the looser with modern units.

Domination VC is stupid, bring back civ4 OR 'you have to hold all capitals'

I believe a civ that recaptures its capital is back in the Domination game, but haven't verified it (every time I recall having seen a civ recapture its capital, it loses it again fairly soon, and for good -- the population loss from successive sackings makes them easy prey).

Yes, that is correct.

with 3 player it is quite easy (in medium levels like king)

Select you, Monty, Ramses, Pangea.
Outtech them.
Wait until one capture the other C.
Suppy the looser with modern units.

Domination VC is stupid, bring back civ4 OR 'you have to hold all capitals'
Can you give/sell units to AI? I have never seen this kind of option on tradescreen.

Top Bottom