People for the government? Or government for the populous?

Government for the people, or people for the government?

• Total voters
Governments should be working for good of the people. However, for governments to work people must work for the government and do their part to maintain law and order.

So really it works both ways.

Government should be of the people, by the people, and for the people.

taillesskangaru said:
Governments should be working for good of the people. However, for governments to work people must work for the government and do their part to maintain law and order.

So really it works both ways.
Agreed. The old "Mandate of Heaven" idea got it right, basically. It doesn't really matter what the type of government is, as long as the aim is the same. Government may be allowed a great amount of power but it must take care of its people. Otherwise the people have all the right to throw them out, one way or another.

Also, it is the duty of people (businesses or individuals) to pay taxes. Otherwise from where will government get the funds for necessary infrastructure and wages for essential services? A funds-strapped government becomes an inept government rather quick. Of course if government offcials are pocketing funds for themselves then that's a different story...

Government should be for the people, which is widely appreciated. More often I find people overlooking the fact that the market should also be tailored to suit the people, and not the other way around.

Leave it well alone and the market adapts to suit the people. There is no need to tailor it.

The market has a life all its own.

I think the government should serve the populous as much as the populous should serve the government. Kind of like a marriage in which both parties contribute to each other.

When its social contract has been violated, a population has a duty to overthrow its government (or change it, elect a new one, etc.).

Tycoon101 said:
I just saw V For Vendetta, and I'm curious about how people think their relationship to the government should be.

Do you believe that the populous is indebted to the government, and must comply with the government no matter what? Or do you feel that the populous should be above the government, with the government striving to please the people?

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."

Top Bottom