• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Petra is the best wonder in civ 6

The word "best" has always been a poor word to use without clarification.
Petra is cool and fun if you have desert, what if you ndo not? Is it best then?
Same with many others. The great lighthouse can be useful on an island map
Ruhr is great and gets more so the more cogs our city has
How good is Stonehenge if going for a religious victory?
I imagine many (most?) poeple restart if they do not get a good starting position... I would think this means they skip desert unless it is just right for Perta and they are cool with that addition.

Do not get me wrong, I love Petra and think such things do add that flavour and its great you enjoy it and want to show it off.
It has also created good debate which brings out excellent views so love the post. Its these types of post that keep me coming back.

Last edited:
I think they did a great job with wonders in Civ6. Overall the wonders are balanced pretty well

Its good but it doesn't have the same potential as civ5 petra because of the housing cap

Build Petra on a giant flat desert and come back to this thread and exclaim how awesome it is. It is an extremely situational wonder. There is no way I can say a wonder that might be worth building 1 out of 10 games is the best in the game. Without hills, sheep, strategics on those desert tiles, all you have are unimprovable plains tiles with a bit of bonus gold.

Build Petra on a giant flat desert and come back to this thread and exclaim how awesome it is. It is an extremely situational wonder. There is no way I can say a wonder that might be worth building 1 out of 10 games is the best in the game. Without hills, sheep, strategics on those desert tiles, all you have are unimprovable plains tiles with a bit of bonus gold.

It's more an unimprovable grassland hill, with a bit of extra gold. You can also place down unique improvements, and even if you're not a civ that has them there's a chance for colossal heads. In multiplayer it can be a good tactic to build it to just deny it to an opponent.

Last edited:
I already have like 5 cities by then by the way. Build another 2 wonder (pyramid and hanging garden) in my capital. And some army to defend it (can't remeber how many but I'm sure it consist of atleast 3 archers and 3 swordsman). Is it a good 100 turns or I lagged behind because of the Petra?

I admit my second city only become productive after I build the Petra. And not immediately either, it took some time. But at the end of the game it was my most productive city. Producing unit at every turn.

Idk if that was rhetorical but by t100 you should have at least ten to twelve citys and definatly more then 3 archers and why are you even bothering with swordsman? Especially on defense.

Was even better on civ5 since you had this boni AND a free trader AND culture later on.

Situational as stated, especially when you play immortal plus.

Petra is Top Tier with China. You get to rush it with builders and you get a tile improvement to spruce up the flat land deserts. It is pretty good with Sumeria, Egypt, maybe India depending on tiles(Stepwells next to Flood Plain Farms) but you can't go "SupaPetra" outside of Great Engie rushing which probably comes too late. For most Civs tho it is just okay outside of Godly Terrain Rolls, If you cant build it pretty quick dont bother, It too big of a risk of getting a poo-poo city, settle somewhere else

Top Bottom