Pie's Ancient Europe

keldath

yeah, you're right.

this is a fantastic MOD.

but no civ MOD has ever infuriated me like this one.

everything is great, extremely enjoyable... until the revolts over my "high taxes" start... and from there on in, the game goes to $h!t...

@Wodan: perhaps an uncomplete download? the PAE mod has to be in the mods folder of the original installed files, not into My Games/..!

An incomplete download wouldn't have been able to be extracted from the archive. And yes I know to put them in the right place. ;) So it's something else.

So I'm playing this game as the Greeks ...

The celts have been my long-term adversary, having invaded me and attacked Corinth back in early history; after I took Pella (because the Macedonians weren't doing anything worthwhile) they invaded again and I fought them off at Pella; and a third time after they had conquered a chunk of land stretching from the Rhine to the Black Sea. The third war resulted in their shattering. I took a line of cities and then destroyed another line of cities, including their capital, to create a cultural fire break. From their capital I got 7 great generals, a great prophet and two great engineers. In the spoils I also acquired Ravenna, which I promptly gave to the rather sad Romans.

Something I noticed that might be worth looking into is that you have wonders which are named by the city they were historically built in, such as the Royal Library of Nineveh (which I built in Byzantion). It looks a little odd having the Royal Library of Nineveh of Byzantion, or the Walls of Babylon of Pella.

keldath

yeah, you're right.

this is a fantastic MOD.

but no civ MOD has ever infuriated me like this one.

everything is great, extremely enjoyable... until the revolts over my "high taxes" start... and from there on in, the game goes to $h!t...

You have to keep the research rate at least at 50%, if you can't do that, change your strategy. I'm playing as the romans, I'm at something like turn 600 and the unit I've build the most are merchants.

You may not underestimate their strength in withdrawing and their strength in open terrain. Use mounted units to weaken the enemy (mostly with a big chance or extra promotions of withdrawal) and your infantries have an easy job afterwards. Horses are used for flanking but early horses against food soldiers had no chance. there was a Roman battle where the mounted warriors settled down to fight, because of that they won the battle.

Unlike in monarch and below, in my current game I don't have a bigger army then the AI, so it turns out there's more fights in the open, and since it's so late in the game, there's not that many forests last so horses are only really bad on cities now. I've being using the horses that defected to my side and it's true that they have their uses.

It's just that (unless of course, it was the case and they really were weak in those situations, I don't really know that much about ancient wars) I belive that a 50% reduction is too much, on forest is ok since it makes sense, but were they really that bad on city fights? From the techs we get it seems that they get better on horses with time so maybe a 25% reduction would be better? For example, a 12 str sassanid cataphract would have 9 str on cities, it's not too high but it's not too low like it is (6 str).

The AI seems to love using mounted units to attack, sometimes that's all they send, so they are only become a threat because of the cheer amount of units. But all you have to do is have enough units to counter that. In the beggining of my wars with the hittits (they are my strongest rivals) I've being only defending myself for most of the time because of the amount of units. The funny thing is since they can defect and I lost almost no units, even without building many during the war (units are expensive so altough I do have a huge army currently I try to not keep making them all the time) my number kept growing while their numbers were diminishing. By the end of this war we had the same amount of units because of this! That made me curious, why did this people defect like that on those times?

When I make the Numeri it will be game over for the AI, 7 str and 100% vs mounted units. They won't even stand a chance.

Btw, I talked about the Equites being the same as normal war horses but with a higher cost before but the Eques is also the same as the heavy cavalry (including the cost). Don't know if it is intended so that roman simply have a different mount but just thought I should mention.

The only thing keeping me from having more fun is that the game got to a point that it's using around 1.4gb of memory so I can only play it somethings when I can use my father's computer (I really have to upgrade mine!). There's too many units and cities on the map.

One thing that used to make a little mad was some things the AI do that is kind weird. Like I've seen they army revolting like 3 or 4 times on the same game because they keep moving a huge amount of units together on the same tile, I even stole a great general from one of those rebellion. They also have a lot of slave revolts going on. But when I started thinking about it since the goal of this mod is to try to simulate those ancient events then it's ok to have the ai do those "stupid" things in terms of gameplay because if they played perfectly those problems would seem like they don't even exist.

About the new vassalizing system, I do love it since I can "steal" my enemy vassals for myself instead of having to kill everyone. But it makes can create a really funny bouncing game of one stealing the others vassal back and forth, in my game I just stole boudica from the hittits but they stole pericles and alexander from me. They had random cities far away from me so the hittits captured them and I couldn't do anything to help. The ones close to me were protected by my soldiers and the enemies forces couldnt do much to take them.

I've build the roman forum and the mausolleum so I got 2 golden ages with double the time, it was great. Too bad that to make another golden age I need a great spy and it will be nearly impossible to get one since I didn't got first on the tech that gives it and from what I recall you can't put many spys on your cities to try to get one.

I can only build 2 Spartans, the pedia says I should be able to build three, though the mouseover in game says two.

The roman's Imperial Guard is like this too. I turned them into generals btw. They have city garrison at maximum and a lot of drill. This means that the city I put them on will be impossible to be taken. xD I have some cities with lot's of gladiators, the gladiators building and several buildings that increase the exp. My numbers and military techs are a little smaller then the AI but most of my units are really experienced and I have a great amount of generals so altough half of the map is at war against me, I'm the one with the upper hand.

this is the WORST. . MOD. EVER !

how the do i turn of the constant city revolts??

not having population over 2 with 2 units in the city.

i want to turn off the random revolts because of my "high taxes"
:D strange, but I am not sad about your post. it shows me sthg, that works well and is intended!
In BTS unhealthy or unhappy cities are ...... unhealthy and unhappy. nothing else.
hm. what's the reality? an unhealty city in ancient times: do you know how many plagues killed people? do you know, what happens, when most of the citizens of a (big and important) city gets unhappy.... in reality?
Taxes: this is a way to demonstrate the consequences of high taxes. we just have 19%, 20%, 33% of taxes today, now imagine if we have more than 50%? we would strike, stop working, got extemely corrupt, start civic wars and there it goes: anarchy....

Ancient times are hard. So keep in mind to protect your cities against unhealthiness and unhappiness! just stop growth when necessary and continue when you got certain techs, buildings, civics and so on. In Neolithikum, Bronze Age or Iron Age were no cities with millions of inhabitans. Think of this when playing, get an element of this time and grow with it ;)

@Wodan: And did you try the rar file too?

Something I noticed that might be worth looking into is that you have wonders which are named by the city they were historically built in, such as the Royal Library of Nineveh (which I built in Byzantion). It looks a little odd having the Royal Library of Nineveh of Byzantion, or the Walls of Babylon of Pella.
Yes, I was thinking of it, but I just take this name because, for Babylon: if I call it The Great Walls... hm... or The Royal Library. What's with The Great Library? Royal libraries are no wonders. I could call it The Great Royal Library. No... like the Great Dam of Marib. Great Dam only? There are a lot of "great" dams in the world nowadays....

It's just that (unless of course, it was the case and they really were weak in those situations, I don't really know that much about ancient wars) I belive that a 50% reduction is too much, on forest is ok since it makes sense, but were they really that bad on city fights? From the techs we get it seems that they get better on horses with time so maybe a 25% reduction would be better? For example, a 12 str sassanid cataphract would have 9 str on cities, it's not too high but it's not too low like it is (6 str).
Yes, but think of the spearman who has 6 + 100%: 12 ST. and this spearman gets attacked by ranged attack -> 6 ST. So there is a horse with ST 12 and maybe melee promotions it would run over. yes. horses are bad city raiders because of its big target. they can't stay in phalanx formation and horses are easy to hurt. An injured horse is a handicap.

When I make the Numeri it will be game over for the AI, 7 str and 100% vs mounted units. They won't even stand a chance.
Yes that's true and this is intended. Think of ranged attack! Only huns and parther used mounted units only, but they had lots of mounted archers! if you don't have ranged units, you won't win a fight with horses only! (except armored ones, but they came late and then they also had no change against trained anti-mounted-units (e.g. pikemen later on).
numeri are strong, yes, but only against horsemen.... you won't win a fight, if you use them all alone.

to have the ai do those "stupid" things in terms of gameplay because if they played perfectly those problems would seem like they don't even exist.
Yes, also the AI has a chance that this happens. It's a small chance, but this is in.

About the new vassalizing system, I do love it since I can "steal" my enemy vassals for myself instead of having to kill everyone. But it makes can create a really funny bouncing game of one stealing the others vassal back and forth, in my game I just stole boudica from the hittits but they stole pericles and alexander from me. They had random cities far away from me so the hittits captured them and I couldn't do anything to help. The ones close to me were protected by my soldiers and the enemies forces couldnt do much to take them.
hm... that's a good idea. I can compare the hegemon units in the homecountry of a vassal to prevent this....

I can only build 2 Spartans, the pedia says I should be able to build three, though the mouseover in game says two.
I looked for it yesterday, but I couldn't find a problem. I have to test it and play with the Greeks.... but there are so many other things to do....

I can steal vassals?! How's that work? How did I miss that?
:D capture a vassal's city. if your power and the power of the vassal is higher than the power of its hegemon, the vassal will ask you.

Edit: I'll put this into PAE concepts....

I need your help!

I started a new game as Alexander and when I try to capture a Hittit city the game crashes. I even tried on another computer. Can you try to find out what is happening? Just select the stack near the hittit city and attack until you capture it.

Attachments

• Alexander BC-1392.CivBeyondSwordSave
    562.7 KB · Views: 50
Thx, this was a strange bug about renegading rams and cities!
Please replace this file in PAEIV/Assets/Python/ !

Btw, I talked about the Equites being the same as normal war horses but with a higher cost before but the Eques is also the same as the heavy cavalry (including the cost). Don't know if it is intended so that roman simply have a different mount but just thought I should mention.
[…]
…and it will be nearly impossible to get one [spy] since I didn't got first on the tech that gives it and from what I recall you can't put many spys on your cities to try to get one.

You're right about that they're having the same values. They could be pure "spice" units in the "UnitArtStyleTypeInfos." What meaningful difference would justify a Roman special heavy mounted unit, since it weren't the mounted units that the Romans were most famous for?

Spies: If you couple certain buildings and wonders that shift the GP production toward spy emergence, there's a chance that you can breed a great spy, when you need one.

Thx, this was a strange bug about renegading rams and cities!
Please replace this file in PAEIV/Assets/Python/ !

Thanks for the quick fix! :D The only strange thing after that is that an enemy ram was still inside the city even when it became mine.

You're right about that they're having the same values. They could be pure "spice" units in the "UnitArtStyleTypeInfos." What meaningful difference would justify a Roman special heavy mounted unit, since it weren't the mounted units that the Romans were most famous for?

Yeah, just making sure it wasn't a mistake like the other horse looks like!

Yes and that's the thing, what causes a CtD. Captureable Units don't get captured, as long the unit doest move on its plot. And because there are other units in the city, which renegade then, the attacker keeps on his plot. the enemy ram doesn't get captured, and so I can't put the renegading units on this same plot without CtD. I have to put them on the plot of the attacker, if the defending unit is a capturable one..... :crazyeye:

Another problem with making some unique units. I can only make 2 Royal guards but the civilopedia says I can make 3. I can also only make 1 Battle companion and it says I should be able to make 8.

I think this is a bug. I am playing the hellenic scenario as Athens and I am unhealthy and will not gain any health. I have a granary and lots of of resources and farms but I only have one health. The other Greeks all have five+ population and no sickness.

Hey, love your previous installments of the Ancient Europe mod! But I have a small problem. I recently upgraded my computer to Win7, and lost the original folder I had of Ancient Europe. I downloaded and installed version IV, but whenever I try to play a scenario or a random game, I: 1. Do not have a HUD 2. Cannot see the tech tree or any of my other advisors' pages - it just shows a blank, gold-leaf-like page 3. Cannot see any troops...

I don't know if this has already been discussed or addressed (don't have the time to go through 11 pages of posts), but if I could get some help, that'd be great.

I think this is a bug. I am playing the hellenic scenario as Athens and I am unhealthy and will not gain any health. I have a granary and lots of of resources and farms but I only have one health. The other Greeks all have five+ population and no sickness.

River? Trees? Forges? Curing hut? Trade routes on rivers? Connection to the bonus resources? Blockade?

Hey, love your previous installments of the Ancient Europe mod! But I have a small problem. I recently upgraded my computer to Win7, and lost the original folder I had of Ancient Europe. I downloaded and installed version IV, but whenever I try to play a scenario or a random game, I: 1. Do not have a HUD 2. Cannot see the tech tree or any of my other advisors' pages - it just shows a blank, gold-leaf-like page 3. Cannot see any troops...

I don't know if this has already been discussed or addressed (don't have the time to go through 11 pages of posts), but if I could get some help, that'd be great.

Did you install/copy it into the Original BTS Mods folder? (Afterworld, Charlemagne,...)

Top Bottom