Pirates!

qwertz

Prince
After finishing my first SG, I decided to make my own one;

Settings:
Game version: BtS 3.13 (mods like BUG or blue marble are OK, I guess)
Leader: Ragnar of the Vikings
Map: Archipelago / Tiny Islands
Sealevel: Medium
Size: Standard
Speed: Epic
Level: emperor
Other options: (raging barbarians (not sure how this will effect this map, but I hope we'll see some more barbarian ships))

Variant:
-We must win by conquest.
-Costal cities can only be attacked from the water.
-Only 1 unit can be stationed in a city at a time (with the exception of naval, air and non-military units)
-extensive use of privateers is encouraged

The idea:
We should try to get a naval superiority and use it to both protect our cities and attck the enemy ones. The conquering of the enemy land might be tricky because of the amphibious penalty, but that's why we get our UU ;).
Our economy will most likely also be besad on the sea and TGL should be really high priority.

I feeled free to copy the standard SG rules :D
Spoiler :
Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, but don’t be rude.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates. NEVER fortify Great People.

Hotel: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it.

Roster:
-qwertz
-Morganknight
-Madtown
-Melior Traiano
-yena

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
I feeled free to copy the LK rules :D
Not sure who you copied from, but those aren't mine.

Not a sign up - I feel normal and conquest are too painful of a combination.

pigswill

fly (one day)
Looks like the rule set from Deviant Minds.

Thinking about joining but reviewing other commitments. If other people beat me to it then fair enough.

pholkhero

Deviant Mind

S.ilver

Emperor
What difficulty is this? I also agree that conquest victory on normal speed is somewhat painful (especially with this need for massed boats).

Will wait and see what those details are before signing up.

Morganknight

Warlord
Sign me up. I like the pain...

qwertz

Prince
@S.ilver: Difficulty is still open and will be decided by the team.
@Morganknight: Nice to see you again, you're in :)
@pain: I know it wan't be easy, but some challenge is allways nice.

Madtown

loading rage simulator
I'll sign up, sounds like fun.

I'll echo other posters and say that epic speed would be better, especially if we go with emperor diff.

Melior Traiano

Warlord
:salute: I'd like to join. Never played in an SG before, but I think I'll get the hang of it pretty quick. I usually play normal speed, but epic is cool too. Would make waging war a little easier.

qwertz

Prince
@M.T.: you're in.
1 slot left, pigswill do you still want it?

@team: what about difficulty? is emperor OK for you? speed?

Morganknight

Warlord
I know its no help, but any settings are fine with me. The consensus seems to be Epic speed. Emperor difficulty could keep things interesting...

pigswill

fly (one day)
I think I'm probably over-committed so I'd rather bow out now than hold up the game. I shall be lurking however.

Melior Traiano

Warlord
Emperor should provide a nice balance of challenge and winnability. Some of the runaway AIs on Immortal are ridiculous, even if the archipelago map type will mitigate some of that.

Madtown

loading rage simulator
Emperor works for me (even though I've never won on that level). Should be manageable given the map settings.

I'd prefer epic, but normal speed will be OK too.

Also, if anyone hasn't yet read Sisiutil's ALC #20 with ragnar, I'd suggest giving it a look.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6201146

Some good tactics there we may want to use, particularily the deep Astro beeline (post #474) might be useful if we want to rule with privateers for half a millenia.

yena

King
A perfect fit for my avatar, so sign me up. Emperor sounds fine, prefer epic speed.

qwertz

Prince
ok, you're in.

Speed changed to epic (I prefeered normal, but I can live with it) and difficulty set to emperor.
I think approx. 20 turns/turnset should be OK, because of the slower speed. You can also play few turn more or less and stop at an important decision point, if you like.

qwertz

Prince
And here we go:

We are aggresive/financal and start with fishing/hunting.
Hunting won't help us much, but fishing definitelly will.

I would consider seteling 1N, on the corn. This would give us 1 more hill, another land tile and +1:food: from the city square. We would lose the corn, but we have enough food anyway and production will most likely be the main problem on this map.

As it seems we're on a 7-tiles island, we must get sailing before any further expansion is possible. Mining-BW would be also usefull for some production.

There are also some early wonders that could be quite usefull here (TGL, Colossus, pyramids (herdinary rule won't be very usefull because of the variant so geting some other goverment civics early wouldn't be bad)...), but with the limited production of the archipelago map, we should chose our list quite carefully.

I should play my turnset tomorrow, post your idaes on the start/early game strategy until then.

Roster:
-qwertz (UP)
-Morganknight (on deck)
-Madtown
-Melior Traiano
-yena

Top Bottom