pitboss without civ?

Conroy

Chieftain
I hope I didn't miss any threads about this in my search..

I am trying to figure out the minimum required files and set up pitboss on my web server machine without installing Civ, because the machine does not meet the requirements necessary for Civ. Has anyone tried this before, or know of a reason I shouldn't bother trying?

Thanks,
Conroy

Civilization IV must be installed, because Pitboss uses the game files to run. However, the computer merely needs Civ installed, and does not have to be able to run in. I believe some have successfully gotten Pitboss to work on computers that would not be able to run Civ IV. Pitboss has no graphics requirements, and doesnt' need a powerful machine at all. I'm sure there's a lower limit to the amount of RAM and processing power you need to make the game turns process in a timely manner, but that would really only come into effect when everyone is playing at the same time, which will be unusual.

Thanks, that's about what I figured from the posts that I did find

I guess it's probably not worth the trouble to try to figure out which files are actually needed and what aren't. I'll be testing this on a w2k server p3/500 with 256mb ram :)
I hope its cd drive is working.

I'm running one 12-player pitboss (24-hr/turn) game on a Celeron 500MHz, 256MB RAM, XP Pro box. It doesn't seem to be struggling.

The key is the machine's stability, not its performance. :)

Borrow an external DVD-rom for the install, maybe?

make an image of it elsewhere (e.g. nero or alcohol), and copy it over to your laptop via network. then mount using daemon tools or alcohol. it'll appear as a new drive.

Top Bottom