Planes and hell terrain in MoM Xtended?

Funkenstein

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I'm a long time fan of FFH2/Wildmana/MoM who just discovered this forum and iteration of the game. I'm finding everything very functional and intuitive so far, although I have a question regarding planes and hell terrain.

I'm noticing that most of the map scripts will generate a long streak of hell terrain from the top to bottom of a map. Is this the area referred to as a "plane"?

I've also noticed that Hyborem's territory no longer seems to auto-terraform into hell terrain, although I haven't investigated whether or not it spreads through different peoples' territory based on the Armageddon counter threshholds of 25, 50 and 75 as it used to. Is this all related to the plane mechanics?

Apologies if this is all old news; I've been out of the loop for a while. By the way, HUGE thanks to esvath and everybody else who has kept this game alive and moving!

Hi Funkenstein, welcome!

Yes, the pocket area of hell terrain is a left over from Sephi's plan to implement it as a pocket plane. He abandoned the idea, and I keep it to give flavor to the map. There are some resources that only available in the hell plane.

On hell plane spreading with high AC and/or Hyborem's arrival, I have to check the python file first. I'll get back to you later.

What map scripts are you all using? I am running the Erebus Continent one, and I don't see that part.

What map scripts are you all using? I am running the Erebus Continent one, and I don't see that part.

I actually run erebus continent most of the time too. I find that it generates the most natural and interesting landmasses. I started using it specifically because, like you say, it doesn't generate the hell terrain.

I'm not averse to the idea of the map generating with a "hell" plane or biome, but the way it currently cuts a big vertical streak down the map just looks a bit... ugly, imho.

If it started as a little pocket somewhere that could begin to spread as the AC rises I think that could be pretty cool though. Almost like the "corruption", if anybody here plays Terraria.

I just tried generating an Erebus Continent map and it does not generate hell terrain! I don't know why is that.

I also tried WB-ed Hyborem and apparently the hell terrain is not spreading, but the code is there. That is strange :/
Edit: new code for hell terrain spreading is done!

- I am conservative about the question of the hell land. I love the Tesb graphic for hell terrain, but I largely prefer the mechanic of normal hell terrain spread. I don't like the hell terran as original biome, pocket plan or at the extreme of the world. To me, Erebus is a very wild land, not connected with the Hell, and should be pure of this corruption, except near the Bradline Wells for lore reason.

When the first civ do the infernal pact with Hyborem, then they bring the hell terrain. And hell terrain spring as in FFH2, according to the alignement and the armageddon counter. The hell terrain should be reverted into natural land, except at the Bradline well, which should be uncleanable for this corruption.

- I readed something about a changement in the hell terrain Evasth. Do you plan to remove the hell band at the extremities of the world ?

Top Bottom