Planting Forests

i've been thinking of an exploit to limit enemy civ's growth, esp in deserts. since you can work other civ's tiles, and replace irrigation w/mines, etc, i was wondering what would be the consequences of say, planting forest around every tile of a civ's capital. city size would be limited to 2, even though they'd be getting like 6 shield/turn so they could pop out a worker to clear it almost immediately...and unless you had a huge worker force to plant every square w/forest before the AI can clear them...but it still could work. i remember limiting america in a recent monarch game by mining all their desert squares around boston. they still had 2 grasslands in the city radius, but every time they tried to irrigate one of the deserts i went in and flopped it back. i need to conduct some experiments on how this affects AI moods though

read the 'book' on forest management...it seems my method would be fine as long as i had an RoP...yes that does seem like a book.

It 's going a bit off the topic of forests now, but workers can certainly be used to harass the other. Ihad just signed a rop with Persia when they sent in two workers to irrigate from my river to their desert town. Very legitimate and all, but they ruined my badly needed mines!

Attachments

• theirworkers.jpg
    theirworkers.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 87
Wow! I had no idea the AI would actually do that. I've witnessed them entering my territory (with or without ROP) to retrieve water, but never seen them alter my improvements before to do so.

Renata

why would they choose those two specific tiles? they'd be a lot more efficient if they just worked the one tile and dragged it back to the homeland from one direction...

island was right for *normal* (=no (small) wonder or palcae) improvements/units to be built.
If you have chopped a forest while building a *normal* improvement (and gained the 10 shields), you won't be able to sitch to palace/wonder (it's greyed out then).
If you chop down a forest while building palace/wonder, no shields are added to production progress box.
Forests must be in city radius to gain the 10 shield bonus.
edit: If the forest tile is shared by 2 cities, you should place a citizen from that city you want the shields for on that forest tile. (This is an "official" rule; however, it doesn't seem to work properly)

@Hygro: But doesn't tundra terraforming pay off for large clusters of tundra? If I got that right, I'll ruin a max of 6 grassland tiles, at the most?
So many years playing this game only now I understand why sometimes I can't build some wonders in some cities, maybe because I clear a forest in their radius...

Top Bottom