Playing with Netherlands with Rainfall set to "Wet"

Astennu

Warlord
Anyone here ever have fun with this? I can't play a Civ without using their unique features so I need at least SOME marsh/flood plains for my Netherlands start. Here is a rundown of a recent game I played which was just awesome.

Immortal, Epic as Netherlands and I had EIGHTEEN tiles to put polders on (I also had legendary start set)

I snagged Temple of Artemis early and settled a second city next to Uluru to get a religion. Fertility Rites as Pantheon and Swords into Plowshares and Feed the world were the growth beliefs I chose. It was just ridiculous how powerful my capital was, snagging 15 different wonders (including Macchu Picchu and Forbidden Palace) by games end and having 63 population.

I also had 60gpt+ from Tithe throughout the game as my nearest neighbour (Shaka) did not found a religion and I could spread to him easily. By turn 300 I had close to 500gpt and amassed 10k by the Atomic Era for an easy diplo win. I had allied every City State for over 100 turns before winning.

In hindsight it almost felt like cheating having such powerful use of a Unique Improvement, but it was fun nonetheless.

Anyone else here play with high rainfall as the Dutch?

No, but I do hate "wet" rainfall setting.

I played a game on the Amazon map once where on of my cities was on a coast and every land tile it worked was a swamp hex originally. Production was slow early but powerful late. The Netherlands is fun but can be tricky at first.

If you want a really cheesy game with the Netherlands, get a floodplains start. Start strong and grow like silly once you get the polders :D

My husband played a game as the Netherlands where he couldn't find marsh or fp's anywhere. Late in the game, he conquered a city that had a marsh in its borders, though too far for the city to work. He built a polder there just for the principle of it. :p

No, but I do hate "wet" rainfall setting.

Was my first time ever playing with that setting.

I would also hate it when playing any other Civ besides the Netherlands.

They are a Civ when can be ridiculously awesome or average based on their starting terrain

Yes I did that. It was still hard to get more than one city with a lot of tiles for poddlers.
I also set the resources to 'sparse' to try and make the civs ability more valuable, but it backfired because while I always had 1 of a resource that was half extra no one else had extra to trade.

Playing as the Inca on a Skirmish-Map with Hills set as main tile is quite ridiculous, too.

If you want a really cheesy game with the Netherlands, get a floodplains start. Start strong and grow like silly once you get the polders :D

Netherlands has a grassland bias; not a desert bias so you'd have to disable start bias to have a shot at that.

Thank you for posting this. I tried it and started a new game yesterday... fastest game I've ever finished. Cultural victory in an amazing run away. I could have had any victory type. What an OP start! I had some marsh, but even better was the desert south of the capital with the Petra. The only weird thing was that I missed out on religion.

I find that jungle tiles get more common with the wet setting rather than marsh tiles or I could just be having bad luck. Also I play with the really advanced setting mod so I can set my start to either desert or start along ocean

I find that jungle tiles get more common with the wet setting rather than marsh tiles or I could just be having bad luck. Also I play with the really advanced setting mod so I can set my start to either desert or start along ocean

Jungle is a separate bias, so you shouldn't have started too close to that (unless the script couldn't find a grassland region.)

Netherlands has a grassland bias; not a desert bias so you'd have to disable start bias to have a shot at that.

They do have a grassland bias, however I've managed to snag some powerful desert starts with them without disabling the start bias. Took a few restarts though.

On a related note, has anyone ever made good use of Sea Beggars?

They are such a cool unit however I've never found much use for them. If you attack a city it will likely kill the unit with a ranged attack. I have had awesome use with England's SOTL, however it seems that melee ships are just so vulnerable to counter attack that I rarely use them except for capturing already weakened cities.

My favourite way to play a game of Civ 5 is to utilize the unique attributes of a Civ to their fullest extent.

For example in my most recent game with England I flattened the Celts with Longbows, then the Zulus with SOTLS, all the while stealing two techs at a time with the extra spy. Then I upgraded my SOTLS to battleships and flattened tech leader Hiawatha with 5 carriers full of bombers (went Autocracy so my units were uber promoted.) The extra +2 movement to Naval Units was crucial in this campaign as Hiawatha was a long distance from me on his own continent.

Anyways I'd love to use Sea Beggars to help secure a victory like above!

I could relate to this a bit when I had chosen random and ended up with Egypt in a wet area with many sugar and grassland tiles near thebes. The only issue was that I wasn't taking advantage of the monument builders ua that Egypt has but I was making more gpt from all the sugar plantations.

On a related note, has anyone ever made good use of Sea Beggars?

They are such a cool unit however I've never found much use for them. If you attack a city it will likely kill the unit with a ranged attack. I have had awesome use with England's SOTL, however it seems that melee ships are just so vulnerable to counter attack that I rarely use them except for capturing already weakened cities.

Sea Beggars are best used as part of a mixed fleet - soften the city up with the frigates then send in the sea beggars to take the city and make some gold on the side.

Top Bottom