Poll: how much would you change old civs in the next patch?

Poll: how much would you change old civs in the next patch?

• - Nothing, these civs are perfect as they are

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • - Some minor tweak a la India's Mughal fort

Votes: 48 20.0%
  • - Something beefy and substantial like Arabia's new UA

Votes: 122 50.8%
  • - Complete redesign a la BNW's France, go bananas!

Votes: 62 25.8%

• Total voters

Ikael

King
Since it seems that the developers will give us some cool Little surprise in the guise of revamped old civs (namely Japan and Germany, but I wouldn't discard some more) how much do would you guys change them?

I myself would like to see some in depth changes, for they seemed poorly designed, both in regards to in game balance but more importantly, flavour - wise (hello poor man's Zulu!), so what's your opinión about this issue, guys?

Oops, I mis-tapped and voted for the opposite option (nothing) that I wanted to. I want a whole redesign!

A lot of them were always very uninspiring to me, and it's really gone downhill for the likes of America and Germany with BNW. My most wanted change however is regarding the Dutch. Love the UI, love the UU, hate the UA.

Germany and America could really benefit from BNW's features. They could get a Arabia UA-like overhaul. I didn't really find a problem with Japan but if they choose that over America then probably make a science UB or UA.

Depends entirely onthe civs in question. I think America is fine, they are much better in practice than on paper. Only thing I could see them doing is a bonus diplomat, IF THAT, simply for historicality. The dutch are fine in my mind, still powerful though no longer quite as strong. India has benefitted MASSIVELY from the new systems, and has no need for change. The Germans are Okay in my mind, but a buff might be neccassary if they want to remain relavant. Not a redoing of the whole side, just some small buffs across the board. The japanese could defintely do with a major revamp, though I'm heavily against many of the changes proposed by the forum. The danes... Ef, redo the whole thing. It was bad enough in vanilla, got worse in G+Ks, and now is horrifically bad. I'm fine with everyone else.

The expansion and DLC civs designed by the current Civ5 team are all more interesting than the original civs designed by I assume Jon Shafer, so I'm all for complete redesigns. :)

The more recent civs are generally more fun to play as than the Vanilla civs, so I am all for as large a revamp as necessary. I would like to see changes made to the following civs (in order of priority)
1. Germany
2. Japan
3. America
4. Ottomans
5. Denmark

Possibly India as well, but India seem to have benefited from BNW's mechanics. Their UA is still pretty boring though and I would probably like to see them have something more interesting. The Ottomans are an example of a civ with a reasonably useful power but it seems to be totally inappropriate for their civ, since the Ottomans weren't really a major maritime power. More importantly though, it is also a boring and unsatisfying UA in the same way the German UA is. Denmark is fun to play as, but they deserve to be more than a straight warmonger civ, perhaps they could have a UB or tile improvement to replace the ski infantry.

I'd like to see The Netherlands changed to take advantage of trade routes, India changed to take advantage of religion, Japan and Germany changed to be more competitive with other war-oriented civs, and America changed to take advantage of tourism. The others are generally OK, I think.

Netherlands' UA is perfectly fine, idk what people are talking about

First of all, they have one of the best unique units in the game and a really, really strong UI. So they are already strong right there

But their UA - later in the game you will have excess happiness (I don't mean the UA extra, I mean just having extra happiness in general like any civ). This is allows you to trade literally every single copy of resource you have if you wanted to. You know how much extra gold that can rake in?

Netherlands' UA is perfectly fine, idk what people are talking about

First of all, they have one of the best unique units in the game and a really, really strong UI. So they are already strong right there

But their UA - later in the game you will have excess happiness (I don't mean the UA extra, I mean just having extra happiness in general like any civ). This is allows you to trade literally every single copy of resource you have if you wanted to. You know how much extra gold that can rake in?

You could do that as any civ, really. There's way too much happiness in the later eras. In my latest game (Morocco), I had no trouble topping 110 happiness without building stadiums, without beliefs like Ceremonial Burial, and without Pagodas and the like. I had one city at 38 population and four others that were each at about 30. It's just silly how much happiness there is.

Anyway, The Netherlands are supposed to be a trading civ and the new trade route mechanics give the developers an opening to make a UA that's more fun than the current one. Whether the current one is strong isn't relevant.

You could do that as any civ, really. There's way too much happiness in the later eras. In my latest game (Morocco), I had no trouble topping 110 happiness without building stadiums, without beliefs like Ceremonial Burial, and without Pagodas and the like. I had one city at 38 population and four others that were each at about 30. It's just silly how much happiness there is.

Anyway, The Netherlands are supposed to be a trading civ and the new trade route mechanics give the developers an opening to make a UA that's more fun than the current one. Whether the current one is strong isn't relevant.

But you can do it early and often with Netherlands. Gold is much less of an issue when you can trade your resources and still retain happiness. Particularly true for those who struggle with gold with BNW's new mechanics

Won't argue with the fun aspect. I feel like a lot of the new civs have really thought outside the box and make the older civs look less interesting (edit: but the Sea Beggars, they are so so fun, one of my favorite UUs out of all 43 civs)

Definitely change:
Germany - poor UA flavor honestly.

Unsure/Convince Me:
America - Personally I dont see the problem because the +1 line of sight is soo good now. But the buying tiles might be a bit boring. Maybe a scout that can settle after 3 ruins? or faster production of settlers.
Japan - I might be missing something here but how are they bad? great for domination still rite? their units fight as if at full strength?

Possibly:
Morocco - +1 culture/trade route is really weak.
India - Mughal Fort is great now. Culture Victory is less restrictive. But there needs to be a faith bonus. Tired of hearing "India is a spiritual country" in the intro and not seeing a faith bonus.
Egypt - No tourism bonus? Really? I mean its EGYPT! Thats where like Archaeology was born practically.

Mechanics changes:
After National Visitors Center maybe some gold per tourism point system would be nice.

I understand that many people dislike Denmark a lot, but I hope they don't change it :(

Ok, they are an all-warmonger civ. But it is nice to have some focus sometimes. The embarkation with +1 movement and the single cost of disembarking makes for some damn fast units, which means the water becomes your roads. Using lakes to do this on pangaea is also quite useful. And the free pillaging with +25HP is great for the Berserkers! Those units are good all around. They will also become N. Ski Infantry in the future, which has even more speed on Hills/Tundra/Snow. They are awesome for coastal invasions and usually my first pick if I want some fun with warmongering.

Egypt - No tourism bonus? Really? I mean its EGYPT! Thats where like Archaeology was born practically.

It already gets an indirect buff from the amount of wonders it builds (which is then later on helped by the Airports, Hotels and NVC).

The main problem, I think, with the Netherlands UA is that the AI doesn't make use of it. At all. William is still as reluctant to trade away his last remaining luxuries even though HE would be the one benefiting from the deal. I don't know if this is because they have been too lazy to code him properly, but if they can't code him to make use of his UA, they they should change the UA to something that the AI can make use of.

Top Bottom