Pollution from neighbours

rtabbs

Chieftain
Wouldn't it be more realistic that pollution could appear also in those rival cities near the boundaries of a more industrial civ?
For example, some of the pollution produced by Germany may be pushed by winds to Hungary or Latvia,and even produce acid rain.
Is this thing already in the game?

As it is now, pollution only arrive in one of your cities workable tiles.

I like your suggestion though, it should definitely be implemented! Try the Civ4 Suggestion forum :)

Originally posted by Pounder
But the effects of the global warming will affect both you and your neighbour.

Yes, but if the pollution lands in his city radius, then he's the one who will lose valuable food/shield production while cleaning up the mess :)

Originally posted by Berrern
Yes, but if the pollution lands in his city radius, then he's the one who will lose valuable food/shield production while cleaning up the mess :)

I agree and again I think that pollution should have the equivalent to a bombard range, range determined maybe by size of city.

Also if pollution is on a river, maybe it should some how affect cities using the water down stream.

Also if pollution is on a river, maybe it should some how affect cities using the water down stream.
That reminds me of John Houston's "The man who would be king",when the English soldiers meet the afghan tribes and the local warriors say
"The evil blahblah (Persians? :lol: ) piss in the river when it crosses their territory,so we can't have a bath down here in blahblah (Zululand? :lol: )

I disagree with the entire Civ pollution system. Never, in all of human history, has an area the size of Rhode Island become completely unusable. For that matter, no area that large is completely contaminated (not even around Chernobyl nuke plant, which is still in use BTW).

Pollution needs to cause unhappiness and (especially in the early Industrial times) lower life expectancy. Thus, when you are producing more shields or have too many people, the ability of your people to grow in population would become less, however, it would be coupled with the fact that your technology would likely facilitate longer life (hospitals, anti-biotics and other meds, ...)

Thus, Industrialization (and the building of factories) should reduce the ability to grow the population. Hospitals (representing all better medicine) would facilitate the ability of the population to grow. Exactly how this should be done is beyond me, but the idea of 4 or 5 superfund clean-ups each turn just does not make any sense at all.

I completely disagree with your theory of Chernobyl. In fact it will be, at earliest, 300 years before we can use that area again. By teh way, besides lead, asphault blocks radiation. Please read teh following link, not for pitty, not advertisment, but to get the facts about the accident and how it impacts the envirnoment. Chernobyl Only 400 people live within the 50KM dead zone around teh plant!!!!

As for civ poluttion. Start from scratch on it for Civ 4 ... but I can't think of any good suggestions now.

What I suggested, a few times' is that every city will have a 'pollution bar'. As this bar increases, the effects of pollution on that city increases.
Also, however, once a city's pollution level crosses a certain threshold, then a certain % of the total pollution will end up in a 'regional pollution bar'. This will itself grow, with increasing regional pollution effecting your regional environment (like desertification, regional unhappiness and the like). This regional bar, too, will contribute a certain % to a 'GLOBAL pollution bar', once regional pollution has crossed a certain threshold. This final bar can effect any city and/or terrain hex in the world-and the people who contribute the greatest amount to this bar will probably suffer Rep hits, and attempts will be made to force them to curb their regional pollution levels!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I read a blurb from the Firaxis guys about Civ4 and they said that the "whack-a-mole" pollution is out. See, there really is a God.

And thanks for the web site. I stand corrected on Chernobyl. Apparently they finally, thank God!, shut the thing down. According to the site, Chernobyl will be uninhabitable for from 300 to 900 years, with no technological fix possible.

Thanks to nexushyper for the link. This again, btw, illustrates the point that whack-a-mole pollution effects do not work. The slowest worker in civ3 (i.e. a captured worker in a nonindustrious civ) would fix the area of Chernobyl too fast. Cleanups just don't happen like they do in Civ3. That was my actual point (not that Chernobyl was a fun place, which it is not!)

Originally posted by rychan
did alpha centauri have stuff like this? where you could affect a neighbor ecologically? or affect their climate?
Yeah it did, and it was a great feature. You could raise the land to catch all the rain fall so you would have lovely fertile land and your rival would have crappy arid land that was good for nothing.

Top Bottom