• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Pope condemns weapons industry

JollyRoger

Slippin' Jimmy
Supporter
People who manufacture weapons or invest in weapons industries are hypocrites if they call themselves Christian, Pope Francis said on Sunday.

Francis issued his toughest condemnation to date of the weapons industry at a rally of thousands of young people at the end of the first day of his trip to the Italian city of Turin.

"If you trust only men you have lost," he told the young people in a long, rambling talk about war, trust and politics after putting aside his prepared address.

"It makes me think of ... people, managers, businessmen who call themselves Christian and they manufacture weapons. That leads to a bit a distrust, doesn't it?" he said to applause.

He also criticized those who invest in weapons industries, saying "duplicity is the currency of today ... they say one thing and do another."
http://news.yahoo.com/pope-says-weapons-manufacturers-cant-call-themselves-christian-184139430.html

Wonder how this will play with the GOP Clown Car.

So no crusades for fun and profit? Whatever happened to jus ad bellum?

Also, "get thee to a gunnery" has to be the best tag I've seen in a while.

I registred another thing the pope said recently: "What we are experiencing is 3rd WW in part by part." or something along that line.
He is a cool dude.

The Pope is opening Pandora's Box if he is going to take on Christian hypocrisy. Who is next? The military for engaging in the same conduct? The healthcare industry for exploiting the sick? The banking industry for engaging in usury?

People like that end up being shot but then he is brave and old enough as well...

Thats one thing I respect about Jehova's witnesses. Besides being friendly people they actually pay attention to Christian values & avoid working in evil industries if they can help it. Mainstream American Christians are a bucket of contradictions. Its amusing the pope is pointing them out though I don't really care what the pope thinks now anymore than ever.

So if he condemns the weapons industry and war, I expect him to be dismissing the Vatican Guard in the coming days. You know, since he's so against hypocritical Christians and all...

On the other hand we cant just give up weapon industries. Police and military are necessary part of society including Christian. I guess its about the way its being used and controled.

So if he condemns the weapons industry and war, I expect him to be dismissing the Vatican Guard in the coming days. You know, since he's so against hypocritical Christians and all...

When was the last time the Vatican Guard went to war or had any non-ceremonial duties?

I suspect Vatican Guard is more cultural thing for decorative purposes. You wouldnt want to wage a war with it. Well not unless you fanatical believed you have God on your side.

I suspect Vatican Guard is more cultural thing for decorative purposes. You wouldnt want to wage a war with it. Well not unless you fanatical believed you have God on your side.

Don't let the funny uniforms and antiquated pole arms fool you. Those are just ceremonial, but the Vatican Guards maintains a fully stocked armory with military-grade weaponry and equipment. They are also given military training as well.

So, at the very least, if this pope is really all about practicing what he preaches, he should remove all modern military-grade weaponry from the Vatican Guard's armory.

Yeah Ive heard these guys have excelent training but you know it takes time and great effort to change things for better. At least this pope has some vision and can point out things and call them for what they are.

Yeah Ive heard these guys have excelent training but you know it takes time and great effort to change things for better. At least this pope has some vision and can point out things and call them for what they are.

Yeah, I actually do like the guy and hold out hope that he will change the Catholic Church for the better. I was mostly just poking a little fun at him and attempting to humorously point out that we are all guilty of a little hypocrisy.

Iam pretty sure the entire Bible is hypocritical
From thus shall not kill to be good guardians of the earth to help the poor. :mischief:

At least hes not into re-militarization, large marches and Hitler youth ..... wait wrong pope :lol:

I'll honestly never understand the hitler youth criticism, but whatever floats peoples boats...

Iam pretty sure the entire Bible is hypocritical
From thus shall not kill to be good guardians of the earth to help the poor. :mischief:
It isn't the Bible which is hypocritical. It has been most of the practitioners ever since Christianity started becoming mainstream. But there are still a few sects around that try to live the way the New Testament commands them to live.

I think the real problem is the "get out of eternal hell card" that most of them think they have. That all they have to do to avoid damnation and still be considered to be good Christians is to believe that Jesus died for their sins. That merely doing that somehow makes the rest of the requirement vanish.

I'm pretty sure the Vatican invests or keeps its money in funds and firms that DO invest in weapons industries.

It isn't the Bible which is hypocritical. It has been most of the practitioners ever since Christianity started becoming mainstream. But there are still a few sects around that try to live the way the New Testament commands them to live.

I think the real problem is the "get out of eternal hell card" that most of them think they have. That all they have to do to avoid damnation and still be considered to be good Christians is to believe that Jesus died for their sins. That merely doing that somehow makes the rest of the requirement vanish.

I read a pretty interesting article about belief systems on lesswrong after being briefly distracted from that "great filter" article linked here. "Belief in belief", he called it, for people who feel like they should believe in Christianity (or other religion inserted in its place), rather than practicing it per the Bible. From my observations I suspect this might comprise the majority of those "following" a faith. I'm not sure how many people truly believe they have a "get out of hell free card", aside extremists of any given faith, though I suppose a lot of people would like to believe it.

Top Bottom