• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Pope condemns weapons industry

Why wouldn't he? Is he not the Head of State for the Vatican, and thus the Commander-in-Chief of their armed forces? Could he not simply order the Swiss Guard to dispose of all their modern weaponry and only maintain their ceremonial weapons and armor?

In the original conception, at least, the Swiss Guards of various European states were mercenaries paid by kings and popes - certainly, had you asked that question five centuries ago, the answer would almost certainly have been 'no'. Moreover, the monarch is the head of state and commander in chief of the British Army, but I'm not convinced that it would disband itself if Charles took the throne and decided that it would be put to better use talking to organic vegetables.

In the original conception, at least, the Swiss Guards of various European states were mercenaries paid by kings and popes - certainly, had you asked that question five centuries ago, the answer would almost certainly have been 'no'. Moreover, the monarch is the head of state and commander in chief of the British Army, but I'm not convinced that it would disband itself if Charles took the throne and decided that it would be put to better use talking to organic vegetables.

If they still consider themselves mercenaries, then it should be even easier for the Pope to dismiss them or change how they equip themselves. All he would have to do is change the terms of the contract under which they are employed or terminate the contract altogether.

Whthout weapons, men woud be hairy again. And Wrestling would look even more ridiculous. And there would be epic kong-fu battles with millions of fighters. And their would be mandatory fighting education in school. And women were less keen to speak up. And chancellors and presidents would look like ex-Wrestlers or actually strong Putins. And there would be no movie stars which are actually tiny.

Sorry, but I was referring the racks of rifles and submachine guns in the pictures, not the ceremonial armor obviously.
While I clearly pointed out the armor instead.

Do you really think it is hypocrisy that the group which protects the Pope against assassination has chosen an arms vendor to provide the necessary hardware? What do you think they should use instead?

What is it apparently so upsetting about a Pope finally condemning Christian warmongering for profit?

While I clearly pointed out the armor instead.

Do you really think it is hypocrisy that the group which protects the Pope against assassination has chosen an arms vendor to provide the necessary hardware? What do you think they should use instead?

Divine intervention.

Do you really think it is hypocrisy that the group which protects the Pope against assassination has chosen an arms vendor to provide the necessary hardware?

Yes, if said Pope declares that dealing in weapons is unchristian while his own regime buys weapons and mercenaries then I'd call him heathen by default.

What do you think they should use instead?

Prayer?

When that utterly fails, maybe he could scrap the guns and mercenaries negotiate something to allow Italian police into the Vatican?

In which case he'd still be using guns and mercenaries, albeit indirectly. I imagine the intention of his speech was more 'weapons companies act in an un-Christian manner when they enable wars to start or continue', and thus he'd say that it was entirely acceptable to sell weapons for the use of law enforcement - although he might not.

In which case he'd still be using guns and mercenaries, albeit indirectly. I imagine the intention of his speech was more 'weapons companies act in an un-Christian manner when they enable wars to start or continue', and thus he'd say that it was entirely acceptable to sell weapons for the use of law enforcement - although he might not.

In that case, SIG seems fairly responsible but the Vatican is also a customer of Heckler & Koch which was complicit in shady "law enforcement" weapons deals here in Mexico. Though, I think his speech was just the typical crowd pleasing feel-good message. I doubt he has a real opinion.

If they still consider themselves mercenaries, then it should be even easier for the Pope to dismiss them or change how they equip themselves. All he would have to do is change the terms of the contract under which they are employed or terminate the contract altogether.
See, the problem is that you're treating the Swiss Guard as having entered into a compact with Francis I personally. That was the case in the early days, and there is still the notion that the Pope is the commander in chief of the guard, but in practice the Guard is hired, paid, and commanded by people in a bureaucracy independent of Francis I, and frequently in these affairs the pope has very little in the way of actual mechanisms of producing change.

See, the problem is that you're treating the Swiss Guard as having entered into a compact with Francis I personally. That was the case in the early days, and there is still the notion that the Pope is the commander in chief of the guard, but in practice the Guard is hired, paid, and commanded by people in a bureaucracy independent of Francis I, and frequently in these affairs the pope has very little in the way of actual mechanisms of producing change.

He's the head of state for the Vatican. What bureaucratic apparatus in the Vatican does not ultimately fall under his authority? I'm not asking to be snippity either, I'm asking this as a serious question.

Yes, if said Pope declares that dealing in weapons is unchristian while his own regime buys weapons and mercenaries then I'd call him heathen by default.
Right. Because someone who is well known to be an assassination target by kooks and takes appropriate measures can't possibly state the obvious about Christian warmongering for profit.

He's the head of state for the Vatican. What bureaucratic apparatus in the Vatican does not ultimately fall under his authority? I'm not asking to be snippity either, I'm asking this as a serious question.

I imagine that it's similar to the way the Queen is the last point of loyalty for the British Armed Forces, but not actually involved in any way with its running.

Or even removing the issue of the Queen's figurehead status, it wouldn't be a simple matter for the Prime Minister to begin ordering changes in the tactics and equipment of the armed forces.

Top Bottom