Portable electrical power

onejayhawk

Afflicted with reason
This started with a large yard, an electric chain saw, and an insufficiently long power cord. It grew to include things like emergency backup and camping/tailgating. This led to discussions about what will be used on the theoretical power supply--power tools, lights, appliances, or electronics.

It's ironic that tailgating is an expected use, since one of the first things to pop up is a 700-watt gasoline generator called a Tail Gator, about $100. It has a top handle like a suitcase while most gasoline generators are mounted in a cage, often with wheels. Looking for slightly larger sources quickly led me to lithium power cells and gasoline inverter generators.

For electronics, a battery source is preferred. The smooth power output is almost essential for computers, monitors, and sound equipment. However, they are not suitable for power equipment. Inverter generators were given as a compromise to purchasing both for different uses. I think I understand how an inverter generator works--AC to DC then back to AC. Do they really provide smooth enough power for all uses and still have the muscle for power tools and kitchen appliances?

J

Top Bottom