Portugal or Morocco?

• Portugal

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • Morocco

Votes: 42 51.2%

• Total voters

Singularitie

Chieftain
So coming off a culture game as France, I wanted to play a money oriented game. Of your personal opinion, is Portugal or Morocco better? Not just in money but in all aspects.
Edit: I didn't include Venice because they would always make the most money but I felt like Morocco and Portugal were somewhat similiar.

Portugal is less reliant on others for trade than Morocco (benefit only themselves with their UA). It is essential that, as Morocco, you cultivate relations and make sure you give the AI a chance to send routes to your more lucrative cities. The more AIs that are friendly and willing to trade, the better, because the amount of trade you can receive is unlimited and thus your potential gain is ludicrous. It sounds silly, but try building a road to the more distant civs. Build it just long enough to get caravans from it, even if you already have lucrative sea routes. The point is to lure the AI into trading with you. Sap their science and make them reliant on the income you provide.

Casting my vote in favor of Morocco. The fact that thier ninja cavalry could go toe to toe with a landship in the homeland really seals the deal for me. As well, the Kasbah is much less restrictive, and the gold bonus gives the oter civs more incentive to trade with morocco than Portugal.

Does Morocco really have the money to back it up though? It seems like Portugal would make more...

prefer portugal...Naus bring in so much gold it's ridiculous. I like Morocco's UU and start bias though.

Both make a lot of gold. I'd say the real decision is between a naval/exploration/luxury focus vs. land/defense/culture focus.

each Nau can get up to about ~275 gold from my experience, if you sail it across the world on a standard map.

Feitorias are nasty too. You basically get all the CS luxuries for free, so you can ignore city states and put all your gold in whatever else.

Morocco trade bonuses start early and dont get much better. Portugal starts to bloom late but is pretty good

Portugal:

You can't always directly control your trade-routes (the destination's owner can DoW you, barbs can raid it), but you can always directly control your Nau's cargo! Morocco is partly at the mercy of having peaceful neighbors that will let trade-routes cross their lands unimpeded.

Also, the Feitoria is a huge economic boost, especially later on after you meet most of the CSes: don't want to pay to ally a CS just to get it's luxury for happiness? Feitoria!

If you get a good start with morocco they can rock but i prefer portugal. Their unique caravel is awesome i was sad when i had normal ones again in my new game as indonesia. And they can get logistics letting them attack twice a turn, can regular caravels even do that?? As for cash, portugal can rake it in filthy style b/c of their bonus. Again depends on the map but I was looking at 30+ gold from a single trade route with brazils capital b/c they had soooo many resources stacked around it. The feitoria is also endlessly useful if good luxuries are in short supply or if you simply dont feel like settling the cities to claim them yourself.

Some maps have city states with almost the exact same luxuries, Feitoras are kind of lackluster in that scenario. Have not played as Morocco but it seems Portugals trade route bonus isn't exactly huge either but then it's hard to say as other factors influence that. In my current game (Carthage), all my trade go to Vienna nets about +50% compared to alternative routes. Desert action seems fun though, gna try Morocco at some point.

each Nau can get up to about ~275 gold from my experience, if you sail it across the world on a standard map.

Feitorias are nasty too. You basically get all the CS luxuries for free, so you can ignore city states and put all your gold in whatever else.

My maximum was 331 gold on a standard map so far. You just have to search and stop tile by tile. :)
I haven't played as Morocco so I really can't tell. Portugal is pretty good though.

Playing Portugal for the first time and I got be honest I've never seen so much gold coming in any civ game played before. Resource diversity bonus work just fine if your able to send your cargo ships anywehere(meaning you're able to keep peace with key players). Also feitorias gave a little boost in that early moment of the game when hapiness may be an issue keeping you from expanding properly.

Morocco wins this race (at least in my case).I don't need to explain why,its pointless.Everyone has differ taste so some will prefer Morocco others Portugal (but it seems that more people like Morocco than Portugal).

Top Bottom